Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Question got a few ?'s about storing for the winter...

do i really need to put fuel stabilizer in it if its just goin to be stored for a MAX of 3 months?
    How often should i go and start it?
    And does the dam rid stuff really help to keep moisture out of the interior?

SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

I never put stabilizer in and I store mine from Nov - April (although it probably wouldn't hurt). I just make sure it's a fresh, full tank of fuel. But for 3 months I sure wouldn't worry about it.

No need to start it, it's actually better if you don't.

Not sure on the third.
    2002 SOM Trans Am WS6 M6 #3 of 303 SOM WS6's built with M6. 341.6hp 355.0tq on Mustang dyno
    ASC #690, Converted 6/13/01, Taupe, Hurst, TCS, Last Of The Breed. 13.3 @ 107 (2.1 60') bone stock...

2.5 LS6 heads, Torquer V3, FAST 92/92.....442rwhp 392tq on mustang dyno.

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

k thanks thats weird cuz ive lots of ppl make a schedule to start it and let it run and blah blah blah but i didnt know if it was nessacary(sp?)

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

will it be inside a garage or out? If out, i would do the stabil adder and maybe some fuel injector cleaner so that nothing freezes.

like wise, I would still start it once every two weeks and let it idle until warm [20 minutes] then take it around the block to keep the tranny/rear end nice and lubed

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

its in a barn? not heater that good enough to add no stabilizer?

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i'd still add it. No way a wood-walled barn can be much warmer. Dry atleast. The stabil will not have any adverse affects and i think they're pretty cheap too.

SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

Well personally when I'm storing my car I don't want to drive it around outside with snow and salt on the road. Kinda defeats the purpose. And if you start it up without driving it it's hard to get rid of all the moisture in the block etc...if you don't get the car nice and hot.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I start mine once a week and let it run until temp is normal, i only drive it around the block if it hasnt snowed for a while and the roads are clear. If you have gas and oil in there and you dont start it for 3or more months thats not good, its not like gas just stays good forever. If the fluid just sit they will go bad. Not to mention everything will be completely non-lubricated when you start the car when spring comes.

Awaiting Activation

black
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by gable2000ta View Post
    do i really need to put fuel stabilizer in it if its just goin to be stored for a MAX of 3 months?
    How often should i go and start it?
    And does the dam rid stuff really help to keep moisture out of the interior?

1. Fuel stabilizer is cheap, it's a good idea to use it in all seasonal engines. Lawnmowers, motorcycles, and such.

2. I'm thinking off hand here, but I believe the owner's manuel says disconnect the battery if the car won't be started for 25 days or longer. I like to start mine every 2 or 3 weeks, on the warmer winter days. I let it warme up to temp, and take it up and down the driveway of there's no snow in the way.

3. I haven't tried the rid stuff, but this winter I'm going to try the fabric softener sheet to keep the mice out, so I've heard.

Another thing, if youre storing in a barn, and don't start it for 3 months, I can almost guarantee the mice will look at that nice cozy engine compartment and cabin area and think "home sweet home."

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

[QUOTE=johnb;1072177]1. Fuel stabilizer is cheap, it's a good idea to use it in all seasonal engines. Lawnmowers, motorcycles, and such.

2. I'm thinking off hand here, but I believe the owner's manuel says disconnect the battery if the car won't be started for 25 days or longer. I like to start mine every 2 or 3 weeks, on the warmer winter days. I let it warme up to temp, and take it up and down the driveway of there's no snow in the way.

3. I haven't tried the rid stuff, but this winter I'm going to try the fabric softener sheet to keep the mice out, so I've heard.

Another thing, if youre storing in a barn, and don't start it for 3 months, I can almost guarantee the mice will look at that nice cozy engine compartment and cabin area and think "home sweet home."[/QUOTE]

i had a bird do that one time, however i wasent in a barn

NBM
    2000 WS6

Put in a fuel stabilizer and throw on a battery tender and don't worry about it spring.
    Been doing it this way a "very long time" and not a problem .....
    2000 NBM WS6

/oo_________oo\
    |==_/_ws6_\_==|

><(((º>´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Another thing, if youre storing in a barn, and don't start it for 3 months, I can almost guarantee the mice will look at that nice cozy engine compartment and cabin area and think "home sweet home."

I can attest to that. I keep mine in my garage and had that happen. I used to have some chickens and I would keep an extra bag or two of corn in the garage so it stayed dry and 2 years ago I was working on the car and found a stash of corn underneath my fuse box under the hood.

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

any other recommendations on keeping the mice out? and hows the dry sheet thing work just take a dryer sheet and toss it inside the car?

black
    2002 trans am

put some borax around the tires...then the mice will never come close..thats what i use and it seems to work..

if u dont know what that is its may seem wierd but..it is used to tan hides..and look kinda like laudry detergent which would prolly work..

Formula Driver! 96Firebirdformula's Avatar

Batman Black
    1996 Formula

Winter is when it gets fun Side Way DRIFTS!!!

Buy one of those zip up car covers that you drive over and it seals your car all up. I am not sure about that but I have seen them.Dont know how good they are though. Better yet just drive it every chance you get when the weather is dry.

Quote Originally Posted by 96Firebirdformula View Post
    Winter is when it gets fun Side Way DRIFTS!!!
    True only if you dont care about your car and want to trash it. I would rather keep mine in good shape.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 01WS6475hp View Post
    Buy one of those zip up car covers that you drive over and it seals your car all up. I am not sure about that but I have seen them.Dont know how good they are though. Better yet just drive it every chance you get when the weather is dry.
    I saw someone selling one of those used fairly cheap. Comes with a little pump to circulate air through the "bag". Awesome looking little set up. Made me want one but for some reason I think it probably sounds much better than it works. I wonder if I can still work on it inside the bubble?

Formula Driver! 96Firebirdformula's Avatar

Batman Black
    1996 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by 01WS6475hp View Post
    True only if you dont care about your car and want to trash it. I would rather keep mine in good shape.
    My cars body is in good shape no rust spots and its been drove in winter

Thread Information