Good Y pipes?

This is a discussion on Good Y pipes? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I purchased my car a couple months ago and it came with flowmastesr on it whcih is a little to ...

Black
    1999 Trans am WS6

Good Y pipes?

I purchased my car a couple months ago and it came with flowmastesr on it whcih is a little to quiet for me ( also has a cut out as wlel ) so i went down to a local muffler shop and aws asking them a few questions about borla and SLP cat back exhaust. i got prices ranging from 700-1000 dollars which is a lot more then what i was expecting. So im thinking i can jsut leave that and get a Y pipe ( ill benefit from taht more anways ) Is there Y pipes with high flow cats? is it worth it to even buy the cats? or should i jsut purchase an ORY pipe. Also will buying a new Y pipe make my car exceptionally louder? acuse i know when i purchased one on my stang it would rumble like no other afterwords. ALso i was wondering if u guys could point my in the direction of any nice Y pipes that arnt to expensive but still good in quality and how mcuh u think its gonna cost o instal it and all. If u read to the bottom of this thanks for the answeres

1999 6spd WS6

I went to Playboy Mansion FantaZGuy28's Avatar

YJ
    04 GTO M6

On the 98-99 LS1 cars their passanger Y pipe is welded on so your best bet is to take it to an exhaust shop and have them make you one for $150 or so.

Awaiting Activation
    i would get some long-tube headers and an ory - it would make your car considerably louder. You can get pacesetter combo for $500.
    Last edited by 99blueZ; 09-13-2006 at 10:22 AM.

Black
    1999 Trans am WS6

can u pm me the link. it owuldnt go through i guess cause it wasnt a combo. also how much do u think the instal will be to put that in? and will putting in a ORY pipe add how muhc power as well?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Mac makes an ory for 98-99 that doesn't require any welding. http://www.macperformance.com/store/...Product_ID=765 install it yourself, it's not too hard.

Silver
    2002 Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by Brownboy2020 View Post
    I purchased my car a couple months ago and it came with flowmastesr on it whcih is a little to quiet for me ( also has a cut out as wlel ) so i went down to a local muffler shop and aws asking them a few questions about borla and SLP cat back exhaust. i got prices ranging from 700-1000 dollars which is a lot more then what i was expecting. So im thinking i can jsut leave that and get a Y pipe ( ill benefit from taht more anways ) Is there Y pipes with high flow cats? is it worth it to even buy the cats? or should i jsut purchase an ORY pipe. Also will buying a new Y pipe make my car exceptionally louder? acuse i know when i purchased one on my stang it would rumble like no other afterwords. ALso i was wondering if u guys could point my in the direction of any nice Y pipes that arnt to expensive but still good in quality and how mcuh u think its gonna cost o instal it and all. If u read to the bottom of this thanks for the answeres

1999 6spd WS6
    My SLP Loudmouth cat-back just came in...Shipping and everything, $640 Canadian. Should be more like $500 US shipped from SLP in New Jersey.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Magnaflow.
    Quiet at idle, rips when on the throttle.

A Y-pipe by itself isnt going to do much, if at all. The off road pipe MAY give you a seat of the pants feel, but Id say that isnt much either.

When you buy one, make sure its a 3" Y pipe and not a 2.5". A lot of companies sell 2.5" which I dont understand since our stock ones are 2.75".

Get why it wont make a difference now?
    99 T/A M6
    LS6 intake, Hooker Coated Long Tubes, Y-pipe w/1 carsound cat, Hooker Catback, MTi Clear Lid, FRA w/ Holley Power Shot, ASP crank pulley, 1.8 RRs, 3.73s w/TA girdle & Eaton Differential, Granatelli SFCs, Pro 5.0 Shifter, LS6 Clutch, Diablo, TByrnes Maf Ends (in winter), All the Free Mods

Why do you even have to use a y-pipe? Can't you make it true duals and put an h or x pipe in the system?

Thread Information