Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

GM may suspend pontiac division.

This is a discussion on GM may suspend pontiac division. within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; The 4th gens sales were down, but not horrible. According to the numbers at TransAmworld.com, 30,000 Firbird/Trans Ams were sold ...

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

The 4th gens sales were down, but not horrible. According to the numbers at TransAmworld.com, 30,000 Firbird/Trans Ams were sold in 02. Thats twice the number of GTOs sold when they rolled out.

Camaro sales I'm sure were stronger than Firebird sales. Perhaps that last post is correct, f'n bean counters made the bone-headed decision to kill a car with a large following and tradition, and replace Pontiac's flagship with a risky Holden dubbed the new GTO, and the stradegy failed.

When the 3rd gen F-bodies debuted in '82, sales spiked. and a properly designed and ready 5th gen for '03 could have done the same. Just ask Ford.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

man your dead set that the death of the firebird brought down the biggest car maker in the world

None

Smart post, only the 5th!

I liked it!!!

I did GM for my BA degrees, Theise's!
    Not going to say ditto unless it sounds very close.

DITTO

Thanks pontiac guy!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I think if GM could have actually put some effort into making a quality product then they wouldn't have to shut down divisions. My WS6 is falling apart. I spent 35000 dollars on a car that can't even make it to 6 years old. The engine is fine, but the car itself is put together with shoddy ass parts. Headlights don't work, a/c knobs are broke, clutch sticks, roof panel is bubbling, cat is bad, door panels are cracked in several spots not just the most common one. I mean come on. Why would anyone want to buy a GM product when they use parts that don't hold together. I am so disgusted with my car I'm ready to give it up. I have babied it for so long because it was the car of my dreams at the time, and six years later it's junk.

Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by NvyBluMtlc02WS6 View Post
    I think if GM could have actually put some effort into making a quality product then they wouldn't have to shut down divisions. My WS6 is falling apart. I spent 35000 dollars on a car that can't even make it to 6 years old. The engine is fine, but the car itself is put together with shoddy ass parts. Headlights don't work, a/c knobs are broke, clutch sticks, roof panel is bubbling, cat is bad, door panels are cracked in several spots not just the most common one. I mean come on. Why would anyone want to buy a GM product when they use parts that don't hold together. I am so disgusted with my car I'm ready to give it up. I have babied it for so long because it was the car of my dreams at the time, and six years later it's junk.
    There is a factory service bulletin for it. They actually replace the roof panel. Im in a fight with our local dealer to have them warranty it as we speak

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Good luck with that! Our cars only have a 6 year corrosion warranty which i believe this falls under.

SOM
    2002 Firehawk convertible

Quote Originally Posted by 2000LS1Bird View Post
    The 4th gens sales were down, but not horrible. According to the numbers at TransAmworld.com, 30,000 Firbird/Trans Ams were sold in 02. Thats twice the number of GTOs sold when they rolled out.

Camaro sales I'm sure were stronger than Firebird sales. Perhaps that last post is correct, f'n bean counters made the bone-headed decision to kill a car with a large following and tradition, and replace Pontiac's flagship with a risky Holden dubbed the new GTO, and the stradegy failed.

When the 3rd gen F-bodies debuted in '82, sales spiked. and a properly designed and ready 5th gen for '03 could have done the same. Just ask Ford.
    02 sales were an outlier. Even Firehawks sold like hotcakes (1501 US models alone) everyone was trying to cash in on a collectible car. The first and last year of a model run are always the most collectible. Then there were the people who finally got off their ass and bought their dream car because they wouldnt have the opportunity again (me). You are correct however, their sales numbers werent that bad compared to some models (corvette for example). At truly well designed F-car could have sold well, but what else were they going to drop? Buick? that is the division that started GM. Chevy is the only global brand they had and Olds was already gone. So a bean counter thought they could sucker the public into buying a restickered Holden. There was a Lemans in the early 90's that was a daewoo or something nuts. That died too. GM never learns from their mistakes, The saying used to be as GM goes so does the US. GM's CEO have been called to the White House to give advise to the President in the past. GM never got over that. Being number 1 for so long went to their head. They sold us the cars they wanted instead of the cars we wanted. We bought them out of loyalty. Remember the computer controlled carbs during the mid and late 80's? they worked for about a week. You could buy a fuel injected import that would go 200K without a fuel system related issue. The list goes on and on. I will climb off my soapbox cuz I am as pissed about it as you. Think of it this way orphan car tend to be the most valuable in the long run. So if Pontiac dies you may have a collectible. If everyone else destroys their cars of course.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

"If everyone else destroys their cars" LMAO!! They are falling apart on their own. No need to destroy it!

U-R-Sofa-King-Retarded SINISTER-TA's Avatar

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

The demise of the F-body was lack of Marketing by GM. The whole attitude of "if we build it...they will come" strategy was a huge failure. Instead, they put too much focus on building and marketing SUV's. That was the big trend back then and GM was trying to capitalize on it. It's wasn't all GM's fault...they are in the business of making money and at the time , thats what the demand was for. They just didn't jump ship fast enough when it started sinking therfore putting them in the position they in now.

As far as the quality of the f-body... I can't complain. My car has had no issues. My wife's Acura has had more issues than my TA. I have owned several F-bodies over the years and IMO they have all been great cars. Maybe not the best but...I think they can hold their own against similar classed vehicles. Most people don't buy these cars for their overall day to day commuter needs. They buy them for their performance and looks. And I think GM earned an A+ in that category.
    Last edited by SINISTER-TA; 12-10-2008 at 02:59 AM.

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

Shady- I do have a lot of anger about the F-body being axed, particularly just as it was due for an engine upgrade as well as a facelift.

But GM did make a lot of other mistakes. One big one is exterior styling. I mean, look at the Buicks and Malibus with their single outlet bent-down exhaust pipe, the SAME pipe those cars had in the 70's.

Even the Base Model Nissan Altima has sweet dual-chrome outlets that make it look like a luxury car. You have to crawl inside the Buick to find the luxury. Those cars are not lookers.

Ford seemed to be the first to pick up on the "hey lets make our exhaust outlets look modern" with the Fusion. It looked cool. GM is coming around now to this concept, but the foreign guys have been doing it for years now.

Hell, the F-body cars NEVER got decent exhaust tips from the factory.

And, by 2000, ALL Firebirds should have had 17" wheels standard, and 18s on the Trans Ams.

Little stuff like that gets noticed at the dealerships as people shop around. GM cut so many corners with styling, I think this really contributed to the marketshare they continously lost over the years.

--

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information