Giving up! Had enough, tired of fighting the ws6

This is a discussion on Giving up! Had enough, tired of fighting the ws6 within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; So I've had enough! (summary at bottom, sorry for the long post) Having some issues on the car, 02 ws6 ...

Purple 95 Camaro
    Arctic White 02 T/A WS6

Angry Giving up! Had enough, tired of fighting the ws6

So I've had enough!

(summary at bottom, sorry for the long post)

Having some issues on the car, 02 ws6 - 25k miles
    Rewind back about 4 months ago, car acts funny when trying to shift (a4), i have to let off the gas in order for it to shift into the next gear, along with just revving and not going anywhere.. take it to tranny place, they replace 1-3 band? And that is supposed to have fixed it......fast forward a little, Well I Put on pacesetter longtube headers with a buddy about 1 1/2 months ago, went good. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, car starts acting funny on shifting, doesn't want to get into the next gear(a4) without me letting off the gas, starts repeating what it was doing back in the beginning, So I take it to the transmission place again, tell them it's doing exactly what it was doing 4 months back, they hook it up to handheld and drive it for a few minutes, guy comes back and tells me my 02 is completely out of wack, and that i have a misfire! But doesnt say it's shifting back, so the owner tells me to replace plugs and wires, and put dummie 02 simms on. So I spend this entire afternoon replace plugs with NGK's, and MSD wires, as well as put the 02 simms on, now the car completely boggs down and barely runs!!! I trippled checked everything, nothing out of place, but when i take the 02 simms out, it runs fine, except for the shifting!!

So i'm giving up, im taking it in tommorow and letting the pros deal with it! This isn't the way i was planning on spending my spring with the car

Summary: Car doesn't like to shift unless i let off gas; after installing 02 simms it boggs down terrible; transmission woes suck..

A trained professional volleybill's Avatar

Black
    2001 Z28

Sounds like there still is transmission issues, and they are trying to dance around it- How long did they warranty their work? If they put you off for a few more weeks, can they dodge making it right? I'd be back there complaining loudly about how they took my money but didn't fix my transmission properly, and would be talking about small claims, or some other arbitration- IF they pick up the labor, and wanted me to pay for new parts that are needed, I could live with that, but, jeez, it's a transmission place, do the job right!

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

post this in the automatic tranny section and see what Performabulit thinks about it

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I dont know jack about auto trannies but I do know that 02 simms and the rear 02s won't affect anything. Sure they didn't mean the front 02s?

black
    2002 WS6

For the shifting issues, that happened on my dads suburban (92) bearing some where blew. replaced the tranny, if all they did was replace the one band, you got hosed. I don't think they look at it deep enough and only fixed the first thing(s) they saw.

You sure you are not getting the sims reversed, they are for use on the rear O2s only. The fronts still need to be connected for proper fueling.

Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

Torque Convertor

Next time it happens keep ur foot on the gas and tap the brake with ur left foot...if it engages then its your convertor

Purple 95 Camaro
    Arctic White 02 T/A WS6

The owner of the tranny place told me the rear 02's since i took out the cats

the car got significally worse yesterday while i was driving on the highway, it would only have power inbetween ~ 4200 and 5500 rpm range; and it seemed like it wouldnt shift at all, so i had to speed up to bout 80, then let it slow down to bout 60, then repeat. once i got into the city, i could drive around town decent up to bout 35mph, but my car idles at ~ 3800 the entire time i was driving, i would be doing maybe 20 and the car sounded like i was at wot...

so i just took it to the tranny place, and so far all he has told me is that he was gunna check my fuel filter if i used n20, (as he called it, NAWS, lol) and if i did, he wasnt sure if hed fix it, i havent even sprayed once, so i told him he was just wasting his time, so time will tell what'll happen...

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I dont know jack about auto trannies but I do know that 02 simms and the rear 02s won't affect anything. Sure they didn't mean the front 02s?
    I would have to dissagree I had rear o2 sims in my 99 ta and it made it run like crap, wasn't till I had the rear o2s deleted from the ecm that it stsrted running right. I couldn't tell you why it did that but it did, if I had to guess I would say it's because the rear o2s (even though they monitor the cats) still have to compare info with the upstreem o2s and with those crap sims those readings are all messed up.

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

give it to me...I have a 700r4 I could bolt up to it and get it tuned for....I prolly would enjoy the project. heck i'll give you all the money in my wallet....wait...I just gave my gf 40 dollars so I'm broke. so ok I'll give you the money in my wallet. lol.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by LS1buckey View Post
    I would have to dissagree I had rear o2 sims in my 99 ta and it made it run like crap, wasn't till I had the rear o2s deleted from the ecm that it stsrted running right. I couldn't tell you why it did that but it did, if I had to guess I would say it's because the rear o2s (even though they monitor the cats) still have to compare info with the upstreem o2s and with those crap sims those readings are all messed up.
    Mine ran fine with 02 simms. Your tuner prolly took care of another issue. You could use no 02 simms and drive with the SES light on forever, wouldn't effect the driveability.

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

have you been ripping ass on that car? if so that 4l60e won't hold up to the punishment your probably giving to it. i take it that you probably dont have a light foot since you put lt's on. you probably should have bought a built 4l60e when you started having trouble the first time, or maybe a 4l80e which should work i would think. i wouldnt think the rear o2's would have anything to do with shifting? they just monitor the temp of the cats right?

red
    2002 ss camaro

blew my tranny overdrive and drive at easter on the way home reseached a couple different avenues tci, art carr, and local shop to rebuild mine is daily driver and need it on the road went with art carr and tci 2500 stall runs great now well worth the investment also some guys don,t know how to adjust the 4l60e so let a person familliar with ls1 4l60e do it. I have 02 camaro ss with about 485 at rear wheels on dyno this week hoping to make about 30 more horse.

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by knappbunch View Post
    blew my tranny overdrive and drive at easter on the way home reseached a couple different avenues tci, art carr, and local shop to rebuild mine is daily driver and need it on the road went with art carr and tci 2500 stall runs great now well worth the investment also some guys don,t know how to adjust the 4l60e so let a person familliar with ls1 4l60e do it. I have 02 camaro ss with about 485 at rear wheels on dyno this week hoping to make about 30 more horse.
    wow that thing is a monster, who did the work on it and where do you dyno it? i had automotive tech do all my stuff.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

I'm thinking with vertiviper. In my old car (mazda mx6), the tranny wouldn't shift at all, sometimes in drive it stayed neutral. it also had much less power. turned out to be the converter. I say get a good stall converter, then tune it so you don't need the sensors.

then, if it still doesn't shift right, at least what you bought wasn't in vein since they are good for performance. and if those don't help performabuilt has a good $1600 tranny that could handle all the power you probably will ever make, from what i hear.

...Or sell it and get a six speed.

red
    2002 ss camaro

virginia speed has it this week and a guy name gary at art walkers in virginia beach did the tranny and rear end great guy would recomend him to any one. did a great job for a great price. is great at setting up rear ends.

Purple 95 Camaro
    Arctic White 02 T/A WS6

Thumbs up

well i got my car back finally, but what sucks is i didnt get to talk to the guy who worked on it, so i don't really know what they did.
    i do know that they didnt use any 02 simms, so i think i might just sell the ones i have and try and get it tuned somewhere..

anyhow, im just happy to get her back for the weekend, but i think ill be looking into getting the tranny rebuilt so i dont have to worry about it trashing again on me

thanks for the replys

Thread Information