Getting a tune next weekend

Im pretty excited to see the numbers im kicking out and the tune in general. What do you all recommend me doing before i go straight to the tune? I just put in some MSD wires with NGK plugs. The only other performance part is a drop in K&N filter.. I was hoping i could get a CAI before i head out, but if that doesnt happen, its not the end of the world. Thanks!

Black
    1998 WS6 T/A

Make sure your MAF is clean and theres no small issues under the hood. New fuel/oil filters maybe

The oils been changed 500 miles ago, no issues under the hood, Wheres the fuel filter at? i cant remember. thanks

White
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch094 View Post
    The oils been changed 500 miles ago, no issues under the hood, Wheres the fuel filter at? i cant remember. thanks
    under the driver's seat tucked near the frame...just did one. pretty easy job.

Black
    00 WS6

Who is doing the tune? A4 or M6?

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by qwk93ta View Post
    Who is doing the tune? A4 or M6?
    That's what I'm wondering if it's a A4 a tune will make it feel alot better I have pretty much every bolt on and had a dyno tune, car had a little more power but it was running to rich, was eye watering at a red light. Then we did a street tune and my friend niticed the 1st guy never tuned the A4 and what a difference.

But if you have a 6 spd with only a K&N a tune seems like a huge waste. Get a CAI or lid, some diff. gears, headers, or a catback, something that will make some power. The tune might get you a couple hp but nothing great, it will have to be reone later when you start modding it. My tuner told me to wait till I get the Lt headers on before the tune. They told me with just a LS6 intake and Volant CAI, ASP pulleys, 160 stat, and a catback. They deleted the egr and reset the fans for me but told me not to bother with a tune till I get the headers since it'll be $300(I was getting a break) dyno tunes were $400 back then normallt even more now for a small gain that you may not even notice with a 6spd.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

thanks Zedtwentyeight

Blackbear is doing the tune and its a A4. Im not worried about headers and the big stuff right now, as too retunes are free for life as long as you own the vehicle.

Yellow
    02 CETA#732

Hey RyanJM how long have you had the A4 tune?

I ask becuase some folks around here swear that if torque management is removed via an A4 tune the transmission will break way more often.

Everytime I'm reminded that the tune really wakes the car up I start thinking about doing it again, but I don't have the budget for trans repairs.

well those 4l60es can only hold out soo much power, and im sure with the TM and line pressure and the harder people drive their car after the tune, im sure anything is more likely going to happen. just my 2cents

Black
    00 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by jagfan93 View Post

I ask becuase some folks around here swear that if torque management is removed via an A4 tune the transmission will break way more often.

Everytime I'm reminded that the tune really wakes the car up I start thinking about doing it again, but I don't have the budget for trans repairs.

When my car had minor bolt-ons a tune was worth .3 tenths and 3 MPH in the 1/4. I ran my car for 1 1/2 w/o a problem.

Yellow
    02 CETA#732

Quote Originally Posted by qwk93ta View Post
    When my car had minor bolt-ons a tune was worth .3 tenths and 3 MPH in the 1/4. I ran my car for 1 1/2 w/o a problem.
    Daily Driver or Weekend Car during that year & a half?

(PS = sasquatch094 thanks for letting me kind of jack your thread, at least it's kinda still on topic).

haha Its fine man, as long as its on topic and useful info then IDC! ill be sure to post up here after my tune and tell ya how it went.

Black
    00 WS6

Daily Driver or Weekend Car during that year & a half?

(PS = sasquatch094 thanks for letting me kind of jack your thread, at least it's kinda still on topic).

It was not my DD but I did drive it to work once in a while and put about 7,500 miles on the car in a year and a half.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Been about 6 months and I beat my car. The tranny tune and 3.73 make it too much fun not too. Even with the suspension and 275/35r18 BFG KDW NT's if I drop the pedal at 30 tires just start spinning and a nice bark going into second at anything over 3/4 throttle. We'll see no tranny problems yet. My friend who owns the shop and did my tune has a 99 Vette with h/c/and a 3800 stall and 3.90's with 140k on the car and his original tranny is still toghter and he's had his off for a over year. We'll see I'm doing a 3200 stall I got a good deal on later this month and a cam next month.

Thread Information