Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gears and Mods

yellow
    2002 Collector Trans Am

Gears and Mods

Hey guys Just to let you guys know what’s up; I always research before I ask questions. But I’m in the navy and deployed out here in the Persian Gulf and work about 20hr days and don’t have the time to do research. I just bought my first LS car right before I left and it is a 35 ceta. It’s a A4 car. I have always been a ford guy but not much on the LS family. I want to put some gears in it but I don’t know what gears come in A4 cars and is there a difference in housing when the gear is high? Such as I’m I going to half to run a different gear then if it came with like 3:32 VS 3:08? I’m think a 4:10, Most likely going to spray the car and or run a supercharger, Since I cant turbo it in Cali. But if I do ill throw some 3:23's in her. The second is who makes a complete long tube header kit and y pipe with cats that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. If there isn’t one what did you guys go with to safe money? Just weld in your own cats? Again thank you guys I would just research this stuff my self if i had the time

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

I believe in the A4's stock gears are normally 2.73's. If your going to do a gear swap I'd say at least go up to the 3.42's that come in the M6 or even 3.73's. As for decent priced Longtubes, pacesetter makes them decently priced. I just picked up the TSP 1 7/8 LT's for 480 i think. Or give Mark at KYSpeed a call. He'll hook you up. Good luck!

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

ws6 A4s are all 3:23...with that being said...pacesetters are really cheap and a good budget header..but why not go for afr or kooks or qtp stainless steel headers..with the Y pipe or even custom dual if possible....with all that being said..if you really want bang for your buck go for a yank 3600 stall..cuts up to .5 off your quarter and completely wakes up your car.

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    ws6 A4s are all 3:23...
    forgive my lack of knowledge..

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by LS1Jason View Post
    forgive my lack of knowledge..
    its all good.

98' trans am

go 3.73s ..with a stall and you will love it.

2000 Trans Am

Is a 3600 stall a good stall to run on an A4? Just curious as I will be doing this mod soon.....
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Just check the door, or simply find the sticker that lists the rpo codes...

If you find:

GU2 = 2.73s
    GU5 = 3.23s
    GU6 = 3.42s

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    Is a 3600 stall a good stall to run on an A4? Just curious as I will be doing this mod soon.....
    Yea, I got the ss3600 from Yank...it's a beast imo. I beat a buddy of mine that has the same mods as me, except he had 3.73s, a different stall, and a 200lb passenger, but i inched out the win.

I have 2.73s, heavier wheels....

Take that however you wanna look at it.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Yea, I got the ss3600 from Yank...it's a beast imo. I beat a buddy of mine that has the same mods as me, except he had 3.73s, a different stall, and a 200lb passenger, but i inched out the win.

I have 2.73s, heavier wheels....

Take that however you wanna look at it.
    I know this has been beat to death but what exactly do you feel different with a 3600 stall? and with your 3600 stall did you install a tranny cooler as well? and where did you buy it from?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    I know this has been beat to death but what exactly do you feel different with a 3600 stall? and with your 3600 stall did you install a tranny cooler as well? and where did you buy it from?
    Yes, it has been beatin to death and I've explained it 10x. I didn't know shit when i got here and everyone has helped me out many times. I will answer any and EVERY question you have.

Basically I can brake stall up 3k+ RPMS if I so wish. It doesn't necessarily even help my launch though.

If I am rolling 5mph and punch the gas, it's instantly at about 5k or so. Obviously it's supposed to stall up to 3600, but idk how accurate our tachs are etc. It just jumps, very quickly. If you don't have the tires to support it, you'll just spin and spin.

Say I'm doing 30 and punch the gas, it'll go from about 1500 RPMS and jump instantly up to the same RPMS..5k or so.

It also has shift extension. When I am WOT and go from 1st to 2nd it'll hold the RPMS, much higher after the shift.

I need to make a video so people can see how it works.

My stall didn't feel awesome, till after the tune imo, so make sure if you put the money out for one, get a tune.

I got my cooler from Jegs, it was one of the best coolers I could find without a fan and paid like 80 bucks for it, but it was like a 28k cooler if I remember right. You can find one for much less, but I just wanted to be as safe as I could be.

Any other questions, just pm me, since i don't wanna jack the thread.

98' trans am

Just check the door, or simply find the sticker that lists the rpo codes...

If you find:

GU2 = 2.73s
    GU5 = 3.23s
    GU6 = 3.42s
    he has a a4 ceta..so it has to be 3.23s

yellow
    2002 Collector Trans Am

How are people liking running 4:10's in a A4 car? How is it on the highway, Still streetable, I would have to guess so

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by excel_autoparts View Post
    How are people liking running 4:10's in a A4 car? How is it on the highway, Still streetable, I would have to guess so

Just my .02, but I think 4.10's would be horrible on a A4. I think they're just too much.

I wouldn't go any higher than 3.73, and IMO 3.42's are a great A4 ratio.

I have a freind with 4.10's in his A4 Firehawk, and he tells me he gets like 16mpg on the highway with it.

blau-green
    2001 T/A

rear end oil

Hi guys,I like to ask you what rear end oil you use,I wanna change in my bird but I'm not sure which one.Thanx

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Just my .02, but I think 4.10's would be horrible on a A4. I think they're just too much.

I wouldn't go any higher than 3.73, and IMO 3.42's are a great A4 ratio.

I have a freind with 4.10's in his A4 Firehawk, and he tells me he gets like 16mpg on the highway with it.
    +1 DONT DO 4.10s unless you dont care about gas mpg. go with 373s.

i have 4.10s but im a m6. its perfect.. not for auto IMO
    1999 mbm Z m6/ forged 346, lt's, wires, ls6 intake, sts rear turbo.

*SOLD*2002 black ws6- <Bolt ons, ls6 heads, mild cam, dyno tune, full susp. and 4.10s> --440rwhp/395rwtq

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

excel, thanks man...my best friend just got back from Iraq a month ago...a lot of people appreciate what your giving up in order for us to continue to live free...

silver
    2002 ws6

Yes, it has been beatin to death and I've explained it 10x. I didn't know shit when i got here and everyone has helped me out many times. I will answer any and EVERY question you have.

Basically I can brake stall up 3k+ RPMS if I so wish. It doesn't necessarily even help my launch though.

If I am rolling 5mph and punch the gas, it's instantly at about 5k or so. Obviously it's supposed to stall up to 3600, but idk how accurate our tachs are etc. It just jumps, very quickly. If you don't have the tires to support it, you'll just spin and spin.

Say I'm doing 30 and punch the gas, it'll go from about 1500 RPMS and jump instantly up to the same RPMS..5k or so.

It also has shift extension. When I am WOT and go from 1st to 2nd it'll hold the RPMS, much higher after the shift.

I need to make a video so people can see how it works.

My stall didn't feel awesome, till after the tune imo, so make sure if you put the money out for one, get a tune.

I got my cooler from Jegs, it was one of the best coolers I could find without a fan and paid like 80 bucks for it, but it was like a 28k cooler if I remember right. You can find one for much less, but I just wanted to be as safe as I could be.

Any other questions, just pm me, since i don't wanna jack the thread.
    when it coes to high stall torque converters, the stall rating is just a guidline. take a 3600 stall for example---- a low torque engine may stall around 3200 with it while a high torque engine could stall around 3900.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

depends on the brand of stall most of the time...

98' trans am

yank converters period........str means alot...give yank converters a call and they will help you out

Thread Information