Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    1999 Trans Am ws.6

gears for the bird

Ok so I'm in the market for some new gears in my car and since I don't have money for a full rear,what gears would be worth my time n money?? 4:10 or 3:73 I do a lot of driving but want a lil more get up n go at lower rpms..I've herd good things for 410 not much about 373 tho...ne help would be good.o yea the car is a m6.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Most people, if not all, will tell you to not invest any money into the stock 10 bolt. With that said, do you have any future plans for the car?

If you plan on leaving it relatively stock with just basic bolt-ons, most people with M6 cars get the 410 gears. A4 cars go with the 373s.

Red
    1999 Trans Am ws.6

I do have plans to make it a 408 but that's a long time from now if ever...I will how ever be caming the car and rebuilding the existing engine this winter.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by RedHot99T/A View Post
    I do have plans to make it a 408 but that's a long time from now if ever...I will how ever be caming the car and rebuilding the existing engine this winter.
    invest in a 12 bolt or 9 inch then.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 View Post
    invest in a 12 bolt or 9 inch then.
    Agreed. Take the several hundred you plan on investing in the stock rear and put it toward saving for something that will last you the life of owning the car. I'd hate to see you invest all that money into the stocker just for it to break on you.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Agreed. Take the several hundred you plan on investing in the stock rear and put it toward saving for something that will last you the life of owning the car. I'd hate to see you invest all that money into the stocker just for it to break on you.
    exactly they can break under stock power!!!

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

New rear is a expensive purchase,but I'm sure you would rather save up and get a strong rear axle that will not break instead of spending the money on a gear change and having your 10 bolt break on you at the track or "other" places racing may take place.can't think of anything worse than breaking the 10 bolt while street racing and somebody yells "cops" and you can't go anywhere!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Red
    1999 Trans Am ws.6

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    New rear is a expensive purchase,but I'm sure you would rather save up and get a strong rear axle that will not break instead of spending the money on a gear change and having your 10 bolt break on you at the track or "other" places racing may take place.can't think of anything worse than breaking the 10 bolt while street racing and somebody yells "cops" and you can't go anywhere!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Wow,ha,yea that would be my luck too...ok u guys convinced me and all made valid points...now ill save up still think 410 in the new rear and what rear is better heard the 9 is kinda heavy and u lose power this true?I'm new to the rearend on cars.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Wow,ha,yea that would be my luck too...ok u guys convinced me and all made valid points...now ill save up still think 410 in the new rear and what rear is better heard the 9 is kinda heavy and u lose power this true?I'm new to the rearend on cars.
    You will have more power loss threw the 9in but you can beat the hell out of it all day long and not have to ever worry about it breaking. And I would go for 4.10's if its a m6 def cause you still have your 6th gear to help save gas unlike the a4's. But I would also look into getting a new drive shaft and rebuilding the transmission along with a new clutch. Then move to sfc's, shocks springs, control arms etc. Then move into the power building so you have well based car that can handle the power and put it to the ground.

Red
    1999 Trans Am ws.6

Yea deff right about working backwards already have the tranny built about 6months ago...rated for the power and the driveshaft never thought of...the suspension parts are a good idea also...glad I adsked about all of this would have just did the things I knew and had to pay more money if i t broke

MRM
    2002 T/A M6

Okay, instead of spending thousands of dollars, which in my world is kinda hard to come by. You can build up our stock 10 bolts for under 400 hundered. I would never go with the 4:10's, due to the fact that gas milage will suffer. It also makes 1st gear obsolete, unlike with 3:73's where it will still have one hell of a get up and not be totally useless.

All and all, a 9in is where it is at, but really? If you are gonna be street cruisen for a few years, just upgrade what you got
    Last edited by Fearls1; 08-27-2010 at 05:04 PM.

Red
    1999 Trans Am ws.6

Quote Originally Posted by Fearls1 View Post
    Okay, instead of spending thousands of dollars, which in my world is kinda hard to come by. You can build up our stock 10 bolts for under 400 hundered. I would never go with the 4:10's, due to the fact that gas milage will suffer. It also makes 1st gear obsolete, unlike with 3:73's where it will still have one hell of a get up and not be totally useless.

All and all, a 9in is where it is at, but really? If you are gonna be street cruisen for a few years, just upgrade what you got
    hmmmm..u deff have a valid point..im very interested...hhow can i beef up the 10bolt and i was gunna choose 373 anyway just beacuse i just rode in my friends and its just what im looking for.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

I am def going the 373 route, dont need a 410 for the street its pointless, and yes fearls1 has a point, but why waste the money on beefing it up when you can use that money to put towards a better more reliable rear end just my 2 cents.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

calculate mph at various speeds
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135849
    and bam!

http://www.ls1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8
    Camaro owners give better advise

Red
    1999 Trans Am ws.6

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    calculate mph at various speeds
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135849
    and bam!

http://www.ls1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8
    Camaro owners give better advise
    haha..awsome..like that thanks

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have 3.73's in my A4 so I would definitely go with 4.10's in a M6 car.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

black
    02 HAWK aka the beast

I have 4:10's in my WS6 and they very fun drive around and wakes the car up. In my firehawk I have 3:73's and u can tell the difference bettween the hawk and ws6. Due yourself a favor and go for the 4:10's you will not regret it. My hawk has a moser 12 bolt 3:73 and my ws6 has a Dana60 with 4:10.

black
    1998 trans am

I agree with the12bolt-9in-dana60 crowd
    My strip car runs a low 10sec it has a 9in in it. The stock rear died about two motors ago 383 around 450-475hp ish, spit the teeth off the ring gear and pieces of the locker through the cover. But my 98 A4 is a full bolt on car it not making no where near 450hp but it has all the popular fixings; air lid, ls6 int, headers, magnaflow, throttle body, frost tune, etc. It has Richmond 3.73 gears in the rear that cost me 745.00 to buy the gears and have a pro install (only thing I wont due myself….gears) the rear had a pinion seal leak when I bought the car so he rebuilt the rear end and put the new gears in it. I have been running on this set up for 5 years waiting for the rear to go and when I say running I mean running the hell out of it, not dukes of hazard, drive it like you rented it, but never back down from a race, make a mustang feel like a sloth, burn the tiers of every now and again (I have owned moded mustang so I can say this)…..I’m now knocking on wood also.
    If all you’re going to do is bolt-ons you might be ok but a 408 no way, if the 408 is 5 years out or never, I would have some fun with the gears.
    Just my 2 cents

Red
    1999 Trans Am ws.6

Quote Originally Posted by seweber View Post
    I agree with the12bolt-9in-dana60 crowd
    My strip car runs a low 10sec it has a 9in in it. The stock rear died about two motors ago 383 around 450-475hp ish, spit the teeth off the ring gear and pieces of the locker through the cover. But my 98 A4 is a full bolt on car it not making no where near 450hp but it has all the popular fixings; air lid, ls6 int, headers, magnaflow, throttle body, frost tune, etc. It has Richmond 3.73 gears in the rear that cost me 745.00 to buy the gears and have a pro install (only thing I wont due myself….gears) the rear had a pinion seal leak when I bought the car so he rebuilt the rear end and put the new gears in it. I have been running on this set up for 5 years waiting for the rear to go and when I say running I mean running the hell out of it, not dukes of hazard, drive it like you rented it, but never back down from a race, make a mustang feel like a sloth, burn the tiers of every now and again (I have owned moded mustang so I can say this)…..I’m now knocking on wood also.
    If all you’re going to do is bolt-ons you might be ok but a 408 no way, if the 408 is 5 years out or never, I would have some fun with the gears.
    Just my 2 cents
    ok so what are some things i can do to make the 10 a lil stronger and im still stuck on what gear to choose...leaning towards 373

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

ok so what are some things i can do to make the 10 a lil stronger and im still stuck on what gear to choose...leaning towards 373
    can't

Thread Information