Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Gas Saving Mods

This is a discussion on Gas Saving Mods within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Schmalgar bah you guys shouldn't be mean or smartasses about mileage. *Of course* we don't buy these ...

Impounded
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    bah you guys shouldn't be mean or smartasses about mileage. *Of course* we don't buy these cars for good mileage. We all know that. But that doesn't mean we have to ignore mileage either. Not all of us care about getting max power with zero regard to impact on mileage. If there's a relatively easy/inexpensive option to get another 1 or 2 mpgs, why not use em? That's all this guy is asking for.

With that in mind, I saw an increase in mpg when I switched to the k&n filter and lid. There's a debate about whether the oiled filters are worth it, but I saw about 1.6 mpg increase after filter/lid. However, that was soon cancelled out by oil from the filter getting on my maf, and I had to pull it apart and clean it.
    thank you Schmalgar...
    BUT nonetheless i expected a few of them...

Black
    2001 Pontiac T/A Ram Air

Icrazy6 and Milkman said it right. I'm still laughing. Nuff said.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

I just went on my honeymoon. Driving from Baltimore to Bowling Green, Ky. (to the Corvette factory and museum) to Pigeon Forge, Tn., Lake Lure, NC and back to Baltimore I averaged 25.5 m.p.g. . I have a 2002 WS-6 T/A M6, drove with the T-tops off or with the A/C on and myself and my wifey. I was averaging (I said averaging) 80 mph even though I did neutral coast down the mountains when it was in my favor. I'd say thats reasonable fuel consumption for this driving.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by BirdCountry02 View Post
    Exactly. What i'm saying is I try to never let it run past the empty mark. I usually fill up at E, and it usually takes around 14 gallons all the way(3.5 would = around a 1/4. I was just seein if since I never run it down; the 1/4's would actually be an easy way to determine my mpg's. I've never really cared, but wanna start tracking it just to see what i'm getting
    Youre really looking at fifths (1/5). When you fill all the way up, you fill past the full line by almost 3 gallons.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

i drove to TN and averaged about 27MPG. that was windows open most of the way and T-tops off the last 2 hours. Two stops for gas along the way. Daytime vs nighttime makes a BIG difference in our cars.

Drove home from TN at night. mostly windows closed t-tops on the whole way and trying to get decent economy. AVG 26MPG.

The elevation profile was in my favor coming home as I live near sea level and where i was in TN was roughly 2000 feet. Yet I still got better economy on my way down there. To me this means our headlights are far worse than windows or T-tops for economy.

Both directions averaged roughly 80MPH this is about 12 hours driving time and between 5 and 6 tanks of fuel total round trip.

Tire pressures were 33lbs at all four corners. Running higher pressures is one way to squeeze a little more MPG's

This was on a fresh oil change and air filter and two bottles of fuel system cleaner were run through the car as well.

I believe my car has original plugs at 55k miles when i departed. I should get on changing them but dread actually doing this job.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    I just went on my honeymoon. Driving from Baltimore to Bowling Green, Ky. (to the Corvette factory and museum) to Pigeon Forge, Tn., Lake Lure, NC and back to Baltimore I averaged 25.5 m.p.g. . I have a 2002 WS-6 T/A M6, drove with the T-tops off or with the A/C on and myself and my wifey. I was averaging (I said averaging) 80 mph even though I did neutral coast down the mountains when it was in my favor. I'd say thats reasonable fuel consumption for this driving.
    The highway speed coast downs are still not a given either way. With the car at idle, the injectors are on, 2.5 ms or so pulse width. But at an idle speed. When you coast down in gear, the fuel injectors are almost shut off, to .5 ms. So, even tho the RPM is higher, the fuel is way lower, so it may be a wash.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    The highway speed coast downs are still not a given either way. With the car at idle, the injectors are on, 2.5 ms or so pulse width. But at an idle speed. When you coast down in gear, the fuel injectors are almost shut off, to .5 ms. So, even tho the RPM is higher, the fuel is way lower, so it may be a wash.
    Yeah, I know what you are speaking of. However, I can imagine that theres a difference between 850-900 rpm off of load versus 1,800 rpm wile under load and that the advantage go to the 850-900 rpm off of load.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information