Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Gas Saving Mods

This is a discussion on Gas Saving Mods within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by BashamWS6 well parents wont let me get another car...yet they bitch about the gas i go thru... ...

blue
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    well parents wont let me get another car...yet they bitch about the gas i go thru...
    yet i tried to sell this one...and it wouldnt sell so im just gonna do what milkman said...haha

i was thinking a 300ZX, civic, or a Ninja 250R
    lmao!

and 35mpg??? how the hell....
    im 18 and love my trans am and i average over 20 mpg around town
    i was looking at some imports and other stuff when i bought my car but when you test drive a ls1 car compared to a civic theres no way i could go back to something slower.....although i respect the 300zx because stock they run a 13 and the fairlady 300zx runs somthing like an 11

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    Speaking of the fuel pump, I have noticed that if I refuel after about a half-tank, I show higher mileage than if I go down to a quarter-tank or further. I have tested this now 4 or 5 times, and I have been showing about 1-1.5mpg more than my normal average.

I have been wondering if this is related to fuel pump heating issue. Would the pump lose efficiency if it heated up? Do you think I am just bad at math? Has anyone else noticed this?
    I didn't think the gauge was completely linear, meaning you get more mileage out of the first 1/2 tank than the last. At least it was like that in my 96. I never really noticed on my 02 since I don't track mpg.

blue
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I didn't think the gauge was completely linear, meaning you get more mileage out of the first 1/2 tank than the last. At least it was like that in my 96. I never really noticed on my 02 since I don't track mpg.
    yeah i have a 99 and i get quite a bit more out of the first half a tank

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Ya ya, I didn't mean just by trying to judge the tank fill percentage from the gauge lines. Just that when I refill somewhere around half empty and do the math, I am seeing a noticeably higher mpg than when I run the tank closer to empty...

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^Maybe it's because you forgot how much $$$ it took to fill the tank when it gets below half, and have more fun with the engine LOL. Although, it really is not a whole lot of money to fill it, I can only guess what the poeple who have Suburbans etc. pay, when they drive those monsters dailey.

If you leave your big truck idling when filling the tank, will it ever get full?

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    ^^^Maybe it's because you forgot how much $$$ it took to fill the tank when it gets below half, and have more fun with the engine LOL.
    Definitely a possibility!

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    If you leave your big truck idling when filling the tank, will it ever get full?
    HA!

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Oh yeah, they set them up like that on purpose. I remember reading an article in Car and Driver years ago about that. Most car makers do it to make owners think they get better mileage than they do, since most people aren't obsessive about figuring out the mileage the correct way, they just go by the gauge. This is why you can go about 40 miles before the needle actually moves off full.

I can get close to 200 miles my first half tank, then about 80 miles after that I'm down to 1/8th of a tank.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I've gotten 27mpg before, but i couldn't keep my foot out of it this tank...12mpg

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    The 99 and up are 16.8 gallons, so 4.2 is 1/4 or a full full full tank
    Just double checking here. If I fill up my tank once it hits E and I fill up 14 gallons, then wouldn't the 1/4 marks equal about 3.5 even though the tank isn't actually at a 1/4 tank?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BirdCountry02 View Post
    Just double checking here. If I fill up my tank once it hits E and I fill up 14 gallons, then wouldn't the 1/4 marks equal about 3.5 even though the tank isn't actually at a 1/4 tank?
    If you put in 14 gallons, you are not filling it up all the way....therefore, you cannot divide your 14 gallons by 4.

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

If you put in 14 gallons, you are not filling it up all the way....therefore, you cannot divide your 14 gallons by 4.
    More likely, he isn't really running it all the way to empty before refilling, thus it only takes 14 gallons to fill. Which is good, you don't want to run it all the way to empty, as the fuel pump will likely die.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

More likely, he isn't really running it all the way to empty before refilling, thus it only takes 14 gallons to fill. Which is good, you don't want to run it all the way to empty, as the fuel pump will likely die.
    Or this.

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

Exactly. What i'm saying is I try to never let it run past the empty mark. I usually fill up at E, and it usually takes around 14 gallons all the way(3.5 would = around a 1/4. I was just seein if since I never run it down; the 1/4's would actually be an easy way to determine my mpg's. I've never really cared, but wanna start tracking it just to see what i'm getting

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Exactly. What i'm saying is I try to never let it run past the empty mark. I usually fill up at E, and it usually takes around 14 gallons all the way(3.5 would = around a 1/4. I was just seein if since I never run it down; the 1/4's would actually be an easy way to determine my mpg's. I've never really cared, but wanna start tracking it just to see what i'm getting
    The only way to accurately figure out your mpg is to fill your tank, recording your milegage or resest the trip-odometer before you leave the gas station. Then when you next need gas, fill your tank and then divide the number of miles driven by the number of gallons you put in the tank.

For instance...your trip meter reads 280 miles when you fill it up with 13.2 gallons. Dividing 280 by 13.2 gives you 21.21 mpg.

Estimating 1/4 increments isn't anywhere near accurate, since you could be a few gallons off each time.

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    The only way to accurately figure out your mpg is to fill your tank, recording your milegage or resest the trip-odometer before you leave the gas station. Then when you next need gas, fill your tank and then divide the number of miles driven by the number of gallons you put in the tank.

For instance...your trip meter reads 280 miles when you fill it up with 13.2 gallons. Dividing 280 by 13.2 gives you 21.21 mpg.

Estimating 1/4 increments isn't anywhere near accurate, since you could be a few gallons off each time.
    Gotcha. I wasn't thinking about it that way. Thanks guys

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

No, see below.

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post

I'm pretty anal if I want to check my real MPG, I try to go to the same gas station, and fill at the same pump. If that's not possible, I at least try to remember how level the car was when I filled, so I can be near the same angle when I fill again. Also, I double check the actual miles driven against what my odo reads, (easy to do for a 10 mile check on the highway, just be real accurate about where the 1/10th reading is at the milemarker) verifying that either with the mileage markers on the highway or with my GPS. I've found some of my cars will say I travelled 100 miles when the actual milage is +/- up to 5! The Trans Am is usually pretty acurate, -1 per 100 actual travelled.

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

I never thought to check that. I was asking to see if you could get a accurate reading using the guage so I could figure out 1/4 tanks without having to fill up, but I guess fill up's the only way for that

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by transam_00 View Post
    A good rant about insurance and women.
    With respect to the ladies here

Ya ya I agree. I suppose they have their statistics that tell them young men have more accidents, but I don't believe it. Darn near every time I see some maniac on the road swerving in and out of traffic, running up peoples' asses, cutting 4 lanes to make the exit at the last moment, whatever, it is a woman. I know my evidence is only anecdotal, but I've never understood why women pay so much less either.

I saw a women just yesterday putting her makeup on while doing 70 down the interstate...

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

4. Racist or sexist

Threads or replies promoting or expressing racist or sexist views will not be tolerated.

Lets get back to the original topic please

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information