Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Gas Saving Mods

This is a discussion on Gas Saving Mods within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by razer900 last year i hit 32.5 mpg on a long trip, after headers and tune i hit ...

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by razer900 View Post
    last year i hit 32.5 mpg on a long trip, after headers and tune i hit 35 on the same trip. no bs here
    Are you sure that's not KPG? Since you are in Canada. I'm wondering if you are filling the gas tank consistently to get that kind of MPG. I've heard of 30 from a few people, I've never been over 28.1. That's driving 75 MPH with the AC on. I guess if it was 55-60 and no AC, then I'd hit 30.

OP, you must keep your foot out of it to get better MPG, and that is hard to do!

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    its downright un-american to sell your ls1 car for something far more inferior....all for the sake of mileage..youre a teen....gas is your #1 expense at this point in your life....suck it up!!!!

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I think some people don't know how to properly calculate mpgs.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    this...

I think I get about 14-16mpg in mine....just a guess. Never gave a shit really

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

w/e ..i get 65mpg ..you are just jealous..i may add the tornado to up the hp and mileage

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^where do I find the tornado app? I needs more torquessss.

blue
    1998 Trans Am ls1

geez... now iam second guessing my calculations as well. I would never lie about something like that but maybe you guys are right, gonna have to re-check on the next trip. Sorry if my mis-calculations offended anyone. In hindsight, like everyone else i didnt care too much about mileage when i bought the car in the first place, especially when more mods are thrown on the car, its only go gonna get worse.

Red
    2000 Trans AM

whoever said they were getting 35 must be driving downhill all the time. I drove from san diego to phoenix on a tank, all highway and got 30 mpg. Around town I get 13. You should be lucky most people average 20 mpg with 300+ hp, when theres 3.5l litres with not even 200 hp that get 24 mpg.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by transam_00 View Post
    whoever said they were getting 35 must be driving downhill all the time. I drove from san diego to phoenix on a tank, all highway and got 30 mpg. Around town I get 13. You should be lucky most people average 20 mpg with 300+ hp, when theres 3.5l litres with not even 200 hp that get 24 mpg.
    *cough* Depending on the model and engine code LX9-LZ4-LZE, the 60* 3500 v6 can produce anywhere from ~196hp to ~211hp crank.
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-01-2010 at 08:10 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Once i actually tried to drive for MPG's. Didn't check my tire pressure... wish i did though and i'm likely still on the OEM plugs with 55k miles. Only mods to the engine are Lid and Bellows.

From the Gas station outside Dorney Park in PA back to my place in brooklyn NY the car just barely edged over 30mpg.

I had the windows closed and it was late may so i didn't really need the AC. I set the cruise at the speed limit and just let it roll.

New plugs, a little less weight, colder air, slightly higher tire pressure, headers and a tune would all have increased that. I don't see 35 being impossible if a stock engine/exhaust LS1 with old plugs and piss poor tire pressure can pull of 30 without any hypermiling tricks.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I calulate it everytime I fill up just to check if it's running ok. With an a4 highest I got was 27mpg if I rounded up the 26.7mpg on pure highway no traffic at 75mph
    Last edited by FutureWS6; 09-01-2010 at 08:44 AM.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

bah you guys shouldn't be mean or smartasses about mileage. *Of course* we don't buy these cars for good mileage. We all know that. But that doesn't mean we have to ignore mileage either. Not all of us care about getting max power with zero regard to impact on mileage. If there's a relatively easy/inexpensive option to get another 1 or 2 mpgs, why not use em? That's all this guy is asking for.

With that in mind, I saw an increase in mpg when I switched to the k&n filter and lid. There's a debate about whether the oiled filters are worth it, but I saw about 1.6 mpg increase after filter/lid. However, that was soon cancelled out by oil from the filter getting on my maf, and I had to pull it apart and clean it.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by transam_00 View Post
    Yeah it really bugs me that car makers can't do better. The 4th gen f-bodies are, to me, the standard to which they should aspire. 300+ hp, low 5s 0-60 performance, and still capable of 30mpg, and at a decent price to boot. That's awesome. Everybody should be able to do that but they obviously don't.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have been using TC-W3 oil at a ratio of 1 oz. per 5 gallons of fuel in all our cars for the past year now. The DD's (I do keep track of their mileage) are all up from before. My wife's Stratus jumped 2-3 miles per gallon, and both our Durango and Ranger (sold recently) were up 1-2 miles per gallon. On our trip home from the Outer Banks the Stratus (2.4 liter) made 34 mpg loaded.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I just started thinking how much better c5s get seeing as same ls1 but r lighter

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWS6 View Post
    I just started thinking how much better c5s get seeing as same ls1 but r lighter
    I don't think the wider, heavier wheels help. Best I ever got when my car was stock was about 23mpgs. That's mixed street/highway. I average about 15 now.

midnight blue
    1998 Trans Am

Forced to drive a trans am? NO SUCH THING.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I am not ripping on or insulting anyone that tracks it.
    I will check it every now and again just for shits and giggles.

Last trip into the mountains (mostly highway) it got 22MPG.
    Last time I checked it on the highway out east it got 20MPG.
    I believe altitude plays a role....less fuel needed.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I am not ripping on or insulting anyone that tracks it.
    I will check it every now and again just for shits and giggles.

Last trip into the mountains (mostly highway) it got 22MPG.
    Last time I checked it on the highway out east it got 20MPG.
    I believe altitude plays a role....less fuel needed.
    And that's some damn good MPG, in my opinion, for the HP/low ETs your car does.

I don't rip on anyone either, I'm just calling BS on someone saying their LS1 gets 35 highway MPG. That, to me, is like saying their stock LS1 is going 12.5 @ 113 MPH in the 1/4.

Like others here, we didn't buy these cars for stellar gas mileage, but to do 1/4mile times in the low 13s/high 12s, while getting upper 20s on the highway, while still relatively stock, is a good trade-off.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I have been using TC-W3 oil at a ratio of 1 oz. per 5 gallons of fuel in all our cars for the past year now. The DD's (I do keep track of their mileage) are all up from before. My wife's Stratus jumped 2-3 miles per gallon, and both our Durango and Ranger (sold recently) were up 1-2 miles per gallon. On our trip home from the Outer Banks the Stratus (2.4 liter) made 34 mpg loaded.
    Is that the 2 stroke from walmart that you are using? If so, why? I actually put the same thing in my cummins for the fuel pump, but at 1oz/gallon.

Best mpg i have gotten is 31mpg (twice). Got it in New Mexico/West Texas area doin 75-80mph (on I-10) for virtually the whole tank.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information