Thread: Fuel Pump

2002 Trans Am WS6 - Red
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ

Fuel Pump

I have a 02 T/A with the fuel pump out. I plan on cutting a hole in the back to gain access. My question is: has anyone rebuild their fuel pump or have you just bought one new? I have plenty of time on my hand since the car is just sitting and it feels like winter outside. So any advice would be greatly considered.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Drop a Racetronix in there. I picked one up slightly used from another site member that is going into our car over the winter. As far as I know, the stock pumps are not rebuildable -- at least not by the average Joe.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Racetronix here too......dont waste your time & money on the stock pump

pump

What is a typical mileage the factory pumps take a dump.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Not a clue. Mine has around 78,000 miles on it and works just fine. I monitor fuel pressure with a digital gauge mounted in an A-pillar pod.

pod

How much was that unit and how it is connected?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Not terribly expensive. Been too long for me to remember the numbers though.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

It all depends on which type you get and what brand. I run the Autometer digital A/F and Fuel gauge. I would say nominal price for a decent A/F gauge is anywhere from $150-$250 for the gauge. There are some that run even more. It's another $50-$75 for the pod to mount it in. Or, you could get just a fuel gauge which would be a little cheaper.

Just get yourself a Racetronix pump and call it a day for $150

I run the Racetronix pump as well. Below is what it looks like.

2002 Trans Am WS6 - Red
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ

What hardware did you use to make it work like the factory fuel pump? Did you gut the factory one and replace the internal parts? pics? I was think one of those after going to website, but didn't know what was all needed for the whole install.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

they sell it as a kit. You basically remove your stock pump from the module and put the 255lph pump in it's place. They send you detailed instructions and even a paper clip for removing the wires from the stock plug. It's a well designed and thought out kit. The instructions were really good too.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    they sell it as a kit. You basically remove your stock pump from the module and put the 255lph pump in it's place. They send you detailed instructions and even a paper clip for removing the wires from the stock plug. It's a well designed and thought out kit. The instructions were really good too.
    This is completely accurate. You will need two people to pound the metal retaining ring that holds the pump assembly in the tank. It spins, and it is on there tight. You will also need two people to pound it back on. At least I did. Are you replacing it because it won't start on the first try? That is indicative of a fuel module check valve. This does not come with the kit. You can check the check valve by pulling the fuel pump bucket assembly out, then filling the bucket with fuel. If fuel runs out the bottom, the check valve is bad.

2002 Trans Am WS6 - Red
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ

I'm changing it because I have no fuel pressure at the fuel rails. I can open the gas tank and you can't hear the fuel pump prime when someone turns the key. I think this is the factory fuel pump and it has a 175,000.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

do you have any pressure at the rails? I agree.....at 175k if you have to work on it at all just replace it. It may be the tube going to the pump though....those are known to crack over time. When you replace that pump inspect that accordion type hose to make sure there are no cracks. It might be a good idea to replace it while you're in there. If you go the replacement route get SAE J30R10 fuel line. Don't let them sell you R9 as it's not rated as submersible and will deteriorate. NAPA carries the R10 I believe.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

The racetronix comes with the accordion tube. The tube going to the pump?.... I defer to Orion on that.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    The racetronix comes with the accordion tube. The tube going to the pump?.... I defer to Orion on that.
    I stand corrected then....it's been years since I did mine so my memory might not be all that great. The 99+ cars also have a little different set up than I have due to you guys running the venture system with plastic tanks and mine being a baffled metal tank. I didn't have any of that bucket shit to mess with. Pump and sock change for the most part. Very well could've came with the tube and probably did.....I just don't remember.

2002 Trans Am WS6 - Red
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ

Well I just replace the fuel pump and one of the lines that has a R on it won't connect firmly on to the full pump connection. Seems to be small...anyone else ran into this problem?

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Lube it with a bit of fuel, and use a needlenose pliers to push it on. Do you/did you have someone help you? It was a bit of a pushing contest for me, but we got it on after two or three tries. You are talking about the clear tube that does not have a clamp, right? You are supposed to cut about a half inch of it off. That first half inch is pretty much molded into shape over time.

2002 Trans Am WS6 - Red
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ

Yes, i did everyting myself. I guess I need to say it this way. There are three lines that you remove from the fuel pump. the third line that goes to the R line on the fuel pump doesn't fit. it appears that the R line is a small diameter size compared to the factory one. I will post some picture, but I think I will have to removed the pump and return it for another one.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Pics will help alot.

Thread Information