Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Pontiac Firebird

Front Amber Turn Signals

So I have a small problem on my 2001 Firebird and was wondering if anyone has had the same problem or if they might know a solution. The front turn signals on my car(the amber ones) keep burning out. It's a two filament bulb(you probably already know this) and the same filament that lights while having the car on always burns out. It lights up when I hit the lock button on my fob though. It can't because of moisture because when one side burns out the other one works just fine. However when I replace the burned one the other side usually goes out after a few days and it keeps flip flopping no matter how many times I replace them. I've also noticed it doesn't do a good job flashing when they work it just kind of dims but doesn't go fully off. My friend seems to think it's the blinker relay and that it's going bad. Does that sound like it could be correct or is there something else I might not be aware of? It's only the amber turn signals, everything else works for a long time.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The DRL setup isn't all that great. They suffer failure issues from either moisture or cooked sockets. I just spliced in a new set of sockets on our car and slathered them with dielectric grease as mine were "crispy". If you have moisture issues, some guys have drilled small drain holes in the bottom of the housing.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    The DRL setup isn't all that great. They suffer failure issues from either moisture or cooked sockets. I just spliced in a new set of sockets on our car and slathered them with dielectric grease as mine were "crispy". If you have moisture issues, some guys have drilled small drain holes in the bottom of the housing.
    Hmmm I don't think it's moisture, at least I can't see any condensation in there. Now that you mention it I did notice the sockets were kind of iffy. Can you get new ones at any auto parts? Also what's the best way to access them? I've just been opening the headlights and reaching down in there.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

I made a thread years ago about mine. I the bulbs sit a fraction away from the top of the fixture and if you drove in rain, the change in temp can cause cracks.

I basically replaced the sockets, jb welded the housing and put leds with a heavy duty flasher. I can try to find the thread.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I'll have to look and see, but I believe I ended up ordering them on-line.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Most parts stores have them, but not listed in the catalogs for our cars. They need to "replace GM 12083680"for a 3157 bulb. I used Dorman PN 85881 that I picked up from my local parts for about 6-7 dollars each and they work fine.

Black
    2002 ws6 convertible

I had the same problem with my 02. After replacing many bulbs I found some info online and it I ended up replacing the sockets. Whamhammer is correct. Your local parts store should carry them and very inexpensive. They should have them in the isle by all the bulbs. I also was able to reach up through the opening just under the light and not have to crawl underneath at all. Hope this helps.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Pontiac Firebird

Yeah that does. Hopefully some new sockets will do the trick. Thanks! I'll try that and if it doesn't solve the problem, I'll try replacing the blinker relay.

Black
    2001 Pontiac Trans am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by FireBird126 View Post
    Yeah that does. Hopefully some new sockets will do the trick. Thanks! I'll try that and if it doesn't solve the problem, I'll try replacing the blinker relay.
    On mine, i would burn a socket up every time I washed the car, and on closer inspection i saw a hairline crack on the face of the housing, it was difficult to see since it followed the lens, I would look carefully at the lens as well as replacing the housing. Ultimately my fix was replacing the lens then the socket and I used liquid electrical tape all around the exterior of the connection. I also got some covers that black out the lights and help manage how much water gets back on them.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by RichWS6 View Post
    On mine, i would burn a socket up every time I washed the car, and on closer inspection i saw a hairline crack on the face of the housing, it was difficult to see since it followed the lens, I would look carefully at the lens as well as replacing the housing. Ultimately my fix was replacing the lens then the socket and I used liquid electrical tape all around the exterior of the connection. I also got some covers that black out the lights and help manage how much water gets back on them.
    I have found that drilling a tiny hole in the bottom really helped as well the lamps seem to allow air in and out through the upper vent, but there is nothing to let the heavier, moist air ( condensation even) out.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

That seems to work best. I did that with my tail lights and my chrome is still perfect. It would drive me nuts seeing them half filled with water.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

I got the moisture out with a shop vac.

Thread Information