Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Free ram air mod?

This is a discussion on Free ram air mod? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; been awhile since I done one, I think that is the piece u cut or remove. Just remove your lid ...

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

been awhile since I done one, I think that is the piece u cut or remove. Just remove your lid and filter and you will be able to tell what you need to do, don't worry you can't mess it up. when you are done you can look straight down in front of your radiator and see the ground, o and you can clean the bugs off the radiator a little easier too...LOL.

2000 Trans Am

Cool thanks man I think I am gonna make this a weekend project cause I just got my throttle body bypass also so that should keep me busy. Any other suggestions as to what free mods i can do? Besides the throttle body bypass and free ram air?
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    Cool thanks man I think I am gonna make this a weekend project cause I just got my throttle body bypass also so that should keep me busy. Any other suggestions as to what free mods i can do? Besides the throttle body bypass and free ram air?
    my friend just did that and said he doesnt like it, although it depends on where you get it from but his was cheepy and he didnt feel like he gained anything...

Red
    2000 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by BULLET_WS6 View Post
    my friend just did that and said he doesnt like it, although it depends on where you get it from but his was cheepy and he didnt feel like he gained anything...
    How fast does the air move through the TB? A TB is what...3" long? Air is in there for a fraction of a second? How much difference does that really make in air temperature...less than one degree? I wonder why he didn't notice any gain...

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by intheclouds1977 View Post
    How fast does the air move through the TB? A TB is what...3" long? Air is in there for a fraction of a second? How much difference does that really make in air temperature...less than one degree? I wonder why he didn't notice any gain...
    lol you speaketh the truth my friend.. so why do people do it?

2000 Trans Am

i'm just gonna do it because I am sick of burning my hand on the freakin thing after I drive my car and wanna do stuff to it.

2000 Trans Am

i'm just gonna do it because I am sick of burning my hand on the freakin thing after I drive my car and wanna do stuff to it.

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    yeah i dont think it would hurt.. it cost like 13 bucks

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

i say its retarded

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Its almost free just do it anything helps. Why do you have toyota red on a camaro lol.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 35thAnniZ28 View Post
    i say its retarded
    That's just something cheap people say!!!

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

to give you some food for thought....these free mods are really things that people with stock cars came up with to give them the feeling of more power. you could just get a cold air intake and you would have dyno proven horsepower (which is worthless) and it would prove more sufficient when at the strip because the faster you go, the more air the cai sucks in thus more hp. my advice is dont get all gung ho about free mods...theres a reason theyre free. i would suggest doing the "ram air" mod because why not? but you wont see a huge difference...it will however give you alittle more the faster you go. stay away from anything having to do with the throttle body or the maf sensor because it will probably give you trouble. some port their stock throttle bodies...but if you want a bigger one buy a 90 mm, ya get it? you cant port the stock tb THAT much to really make a difference. i totally agree that there is an inexpensive way to make your car fast...but dont fuck things up in the process. go with the proven route...bolt ons!

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

True i stay away from my TB and MAF, i have heard to many stories where people mess some shit up for an almost nothing gain in power. Get headers next man you will love em.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

AGREE, headers will certainly open her up. You can feel the difference as soon as you do it, and then you can get her tuned to squeeze a little more and there are no set backs to headers ie. won't hurt your motor whatsoever. Then you can save up for a nice cam and upgraded valvetrain.

As for the dyno proven on the free stuff, neg. no gains as per dyno especially considering on the dyno the car is not moving. When mine was on the dyno, I have the Free Ram Air and K&N CAI, I dynoed the same even with the lid removed bypassing the filter. And when you are dynoed the hood is open anyways with a fan blowing at the intake. The only difference it made having the lid removed is that you could definately hear the intake sucking in that air.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by TACE02 View Post
    AGREE, headers will certainly open her up. You can feel the difference as soon as you do it, and then you can get her tuned to squeeze a little more and there are no set backs to headers ie. won't hurt your motor whatsoever. Then you can save up for a nice cam and upgraded valvetrain.

As for the dyno proven on the free stuff, neg. no gains as per dyno especially considering on the dyno the car is not moving. When mine was on the dyno, I have the Free Ram Air and K&N CAI, I dynoed the same even with the lid removed bypassing the filter. And when you are dynoed the hood is open anyways with a fan blowing at the intake. The only difference it made having the lid removed is that you could definately hear the intake sucking in that air.

If I get headers isn't it gonne be a hell of a lot louder then it already is. Because I do have the loudmouth exhaust and it is perfect and loud as it is. Wouldn't this increase the loudness? And if I do go with headers what is a good pair to go with slp loudmouth and how much does it cost to put on?

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Correct loudmouth and headers is way too loud, pacesetter headers are great, i ahve slp and my car is lowered so i do have low hanging headers, but i dotn have a problem with them same gain as pacestters jsut hang lower, as for the loudmouth lol it will be really really loud, i have hooker exhaust it sounds fine. Have fun with the loudness

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

yes headers through Loudmouth will definately bring out the LOUD in loudmouth. For the price Pacesetters are very good and don't have too many clearance issues. You could always quietened things down by other means ie. put a muffler on. not sure what to do with the resonator for the loudmouth though. never really got into the whole loudmouth train (SLP too expensive). Personally I went with Pacesetters into a Rumbler X pipe with resonators and turn downs right before the rear axle, but then again I don't care if it is loud. I love it.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

SLP are expensive but the came on the car when i bought it, the only thing the guy put on lol.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information