Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    98 Pontiac TA WS6

freaking out gotta question

im freaking out about building my motor i got a 98 ws6 and it has like 114k on it. i want to build it soo bad and i have the money but i dont want to put all that money into it and have it blow up is it safe?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

What are your plans?

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

if you are talkin heads and cam, then i think itll be safe...but if you are planning to boost or spray it, id be afraid to do so unless the engine is fresh.....

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

All of this in my signature started when I got mine at 108,000. I now have 132,000.

Mod away!!
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

The same thing has crossed my mind before. Probably with a mild head and cam set up you'd be fine..how much are you looking to spend? If I was in your situation and had no problem dropping a few grand I would just rebuild the motor then go big on a head and cam package-plus you'll always have the option open to spray and sc or turbo the car....so it comes down to this-drop the money now while your motor has 114k on the clock and always have that feeling that your gonna go too hard on it and blow it up OR do a rebuild and go big on it and not have to worry so much about blowing it up....BUT its all up to what your comfortable with and how much HP you want

artic white
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

My 98 has 115k on it, with the mods in sig, and I now have MPT70 turbo sitting in my extra room. As soon as I have all the parts together, it is going on, with 7-8 lbs boost. So I hope it all holds together, if not time to save for another motor.
    Suncoast Creations hood, p&p throttle body, LS6 intake, Dart 225cc 2.02/1.60 heads, TSP 233/239 cam, Hooker headers, 3" duals, Yank SY 4000 stall, LS6 oil pump, double roller timing chain, iridium plugs, Moser 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. Vizage body kit.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2658525

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by Hwystar View Post
    My 98 has 115k on it, with the mods in sig, and I now have MPT70 turbo sitting in my extra room. As soon as I have all the parts together, it is going on, with 7-8 lbs boost. So I hope it all holds together, if not time to save for another motor.
    That's going to be fun to watch...pls post video

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by Hwystar View Post
    hope it works out for you my brother, lets us know the outcome!

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Mudlitz View Post
    im freaking out about building my motor i got a 98 ws6 and it has like 114k on it. i want to build it soo bad and i have the money but i dont want to put all that money into it and have it blow up is it safe?
    How much money are you looking at spending?

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

It'll probably blow up, so just to be on the safe side you should pull it out and I'll take it off your hands just to prevent any damages

J/k mod the hell out of it. Just do your research and do it right the first time

Black
    2002 M6 WS6

This is going to sound pretty obvious but if you're worried about 'blowing' the motor, but plan to replace/ upgrade the parts that commonly go anyways (eg, head[gasket], cylinder, cracked block (hopefully not lol)), then what's stopping you? I suppose the latter could but...
    Like these fellas said, mod away and just make sure you get proper accompanying parts to support whatever you're doing. Again, eg, H/C/I? Throw in some new pushrods, rockers, etc.
    2002 Black/Ebony M6 WS6: Lid, Filter, Smooth Bellow, P&P TB (!Bump Stop), Magnaflow Cat-Back (dumped after the axle), 4.10s, Hypertech ME Tune, eibach springs 4/4, LCA relocating brackets, PHB, free mods, 17" TTMs.

Black
    98 Pontiac TA WS6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    What are your plans?
    i am putting a ls6 intake on it and exhaust slp air box short shifter maybe a chip and when i get some money 383 stroker kit and later sts turbo kit

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by Mudlitz View Post
    i am putting a ls6 intake on it and exhaust slp air box short shifter maybe a chip and when i get some money 383 stroker kit and later sts turbo kit
    I'm pretty sure the ls6 intake and chip will blow the engine up ...if your punching it out to a 383 and getting new internals you'll be fine, now if you were boosting the stock engine with those miles at about 13 psi you'll have some problems but a total rebuild with forged internals you'll sleep well.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

i wasnt aware that you could make a ls1 into a 383....

BLUE
    1998 Trans Am

i wouldnt have figured an ls6 intake would make that big of a difference. i'm new to the ls1 scene but will an ls6 intake increase the flow that much?

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Quote Originally Posted by timboo04 View Post
    i wouldnt have figured an ls6 intake would make that big of a difference. i'm new to the ls1 scene but will an ls6 intake increase the flow that much?
    an LS6 intake will net about 15hp gains and a lid will net around 10hp gains, average.
    Last edited by pajeff02; 03-08-2011 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Fixed typo.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You shouldn't have any issues with the initial mods. As far as the stroker, I would strongly recommend that you research purchasing a short block assembly versus having the work done to your existing engine. You might be surprised at the result. Also, the stock LS1 block has a max cylinder cleanup allowance of .010". It is not like the old days when you could punch out a SBC by anywhere from .030" to .060" without a problem. Therefore, depending upon the condition of your existing liners, the short block may be the better answer.

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

I wouldnt go with an STS system.. theres better systems out there. yes the idea of the sts is cool, but there are major downfalls to it as well. (get a procharger cough cough). Just my $.02

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

exactly what pajeff02 said. There may be better sites out there but the closest one I can think of off the top of my head is texas-speed, dont quote me but I think they do sell an LS 383 short block. That would be your best option and a nice set of 235cc heads with a decent cam. Of course depending on how much you want to spend and what your budget is. In all honesty though it might be a more budget friendly option to stay with the 346 and build that. The only real difference in a 346 and 383 is where the engine makes power at. Sure it might make around 15-20 more but the power band shifts in a 383.

Thread Information