Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

fox mustang vs t/a

This is a discussion on fox mustang vs t/a within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by riceslayer302 here i was starting this thread off wondering if you guys could give me a few ...

Quote Originally Posted by riceslayer302 View Post
    here i was starting this thread off wondering if you guys could give me a few advantages of LS1's over fox mustangs and it turns into a debate over what type of f-body is better.

is this a common debate? i mean in the end we're all domestics and we all hate imports....
    Yep you opened a can of worms. Once you get these guys bickering about which is better,,,soon there will be 10 pages of useless crap to read through.

In the end it will come down to just getting something that you like,,,who cares what others think.

I have been a GM fan all my life but still have some respect for the older fox body mustangs,,,,I was even a little upset when ford got away from the good old 302 that has served them so well for the last 30+ years.

There are a ton of very fast fox bodies around my area,,,you have to tread softly no matter what you drive, there are quite a few 10 second fox bodies driven on the street around here,,the fox body is a great platform to start from,,,,but what I like most about them is the fact that Ford didn't cheap out on the rearend,,,,and still use the proven 8.8 today that takes a ton of abuse.

You won't find the same happiness when it comes to 3rd and 4th gen F-bodies and rearends,,,as they used a very weak 7.5 rearend.

Other than that the 4th gens are great platforms to start with,,,the LT1 still gets the job done,,,and the LS1 has even more to offer. Both are great packages to start with,,,,better yet,,,,although the LT1's are cheap to buy,,,the LS1 prices are also starting to come down as the cars are now approaching 10 years old. They are starting to get in the affordable range for most people. Happy hunting,,,you won't be disappointed.

This so reminds me of the MR vs RS evo debate. How about red vs black? WS6 are great! SS are great! TA are great! Z28 are great! Just pick any one youre sure to like what you get regardless.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

this was dead why was it brought back?

I don't know, but it still looks pretty hot to me,,,,most of the 3rd page is from today

1997 Formula & 2003 cobra
    Quote Originally Posted by KiD WiCKeD View Post
    . Also the cost of performance upgrades are less, you can make an F-Body run low 10's much much cheaper than you can make a Mustang, Theres no replacement for displacement. .
    Totally disagree unless you don't consider Cobras as mustangs. Because a cobra will easily outperform an LS1 and way cheaper to go faster. If you are talking about Just regular GTs then yeah, an LS1 can be made faster easier and cheaper. but i have to mention this, watch out for 05+ GTs, they are dangerous. They can run low low 13s bone stock just like LS1s.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by doodad View Post
    Totally disagree unless you don't consider Cobras as mustangs. Because a cobra will easily outperform an LS1 and way cheaper to go faster.
    I disagree when you factor in the intial price of the car, blower/solid axel swap, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I disagree when you factor in the intial price of the car, blower/solid axel swap, etc...
    price of the car is total ricer talk if you ask me. then little 4 banger ricers are Better than all of us. you can buy a talong for 4-5 K and put another 4-5k in it and run low 11s. there less than 10k and low 11s. or a fox body. you can buy one for like a couple grand and put another 4-5k in it and have mid 11 sec for less than 10k.

I think price of the car talk is total BS. talk about performance.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

price of the car is total ricer talk if you ask me. then little 4 banger ricers are Better than all of us. you can buy a talong for 4-5 K and put another 4-5k in it and run low 11s. there less than 10k and low 11s. or a fox body. you can buy one for like a couple grand and put another 4-5k in it and have mid 11 sec for less than 10k.

I think price of the car talk is total BS. talk about performance.
    So then a C6 ZO6 is the cheapest way to go fast? lol

So then a C6 ZO6 is the cheapest way to go fast? lol
    you don't make sense. a Z06 costs 60-70k. I responded to the person who said an F-body can run 10s cheaper than a Mustang mod to mod. and you brought cars price into the subject. what does Z06 has to do with our conversation since it is way more expensive than both cars?

i am saying if you bring car prices into the game, a fox body can go 10s cheaper than an LS1. but as i said car prices is ricer talk. talk about cars performance, not the price. a cobra is a mustang and it will run 10s with 2k in mods full weight and i dont see an LS1 can do that.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

you don't make sense. a Z06 costs 60-70k. I responded to the person who said an F-body can run 10s cheaper than a Mustang mod to mod. and you brought cars price into the subject. what does Z06 has to do with our conversation since it is way more expensive than both cars?

i am saying if you bring car prices into the game, a fox body can go 10s cheaper than an LS1. but as i said car prices is ricer talk. talk about cars performance, not the price. a cobra is a mustang and it will run 10s with 2k in mods full weight and i dont see an LS1 can do that.
    You dont make sense either. You said a Cobra is cheaper to go faster than an LS1. Not true. You say price of car doesn't matter. I say so since a ZO6 needs no mods to go 10s than by your own logic it's cheaper to do in a ZO6. Right? Then you say "but wait, that car costs more..."

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

WS6 owners are the only ones that say they are faster. Timeclocks don't lie. Never seen much of a difference between a "345 hp" Firehawk and a "305 hp" stripped down Z28 at the track. Same engine, same trans, same rear. If you want one verses the other based on looks then go for it but no real power advantage.
    I have a WS6 and it is at least 1 second faster in the quarter than any stock Trans Am.

I'm just shitting you guys. wish I could see your faces.

15 hp isn't crap when your engine is all ready in the 300hp range. I bought mine used so you take the best deal and nicest car you can find.

You dont make sense either. You said a Cobra is cheaper to go faster than an LS1. Not true. You say price of car doesn't matter. I say so since a ZO6 needs no mods to go 10s than by your own logic it's cheaper to do in a ZO6. Right? Then you say "but wait, that car costs more..."
    I guess we are having a little communication problem here. whether it is me or you.

ok lets talk this way:

03 cobra 23k + 2k mods = 25k total. 1/4 mile times 10s.

z06 70k. 1/4 mile times 10s.

difference is 45k so cobra is cheaper to go 10s.

^^^ that is not the case!

i am NOT saying cobra is cheaper to go 10s. i say a cobra can be made 10 sec car way cheaper than an LS1. this is all about mods, i don't bring the car prices in game at all. I am talking about mods just like that guy was saying "AFTERMARKET PARTS ARE WAY LESS FOR LS1s"

now are we straight?

Quote Originally Posted by Kup98ss View Post
    I have a WS6 and it is at least 1 second faster in the quarter than any stock Trans Am.

I'm just shitting you guys. wish I could see your faces.

15 hp isn't crap when your engine is all ready in the 300hp range. I bought mine used so you take the best deal and nicest car you can find.
    1 sec? so your WS6 runs low 12s? or did u mean .1 tenth?

a base auto trans am in front of me ran 13.1@106mph bone stock. There is no difference in performance wise between WS6/SS/ vs base T/A / z28

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I guess we are having a little communication problem here. whether it is me or you.

ok lets talk this way:

03 cobra 23k + 2k mods = 25k total. 1/4 mile times 10s.

z06 70k. 1/4 mile times 10s.

difference is 45k so cobra is cheaper to go 10s.

^^^ that is not the case!

i am NOT saying cobra is cheaper to go 10s. i say a cobra can be made 10 sec car way cheaper than an LS1. this is all about mods, i don't bring the car prices in game at all. I am talking about mods just like that guy was saying "AFTERMARKET PARTS ARE WAY LESS FOR LS1s"

now are we straight?
    I get what you're saying but could you break down that $2,000 in mods for me please?

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

1 sec? so your WS6 runs low 12s? or did u mean .1 tenth?

a base auto trans am in front of me ran 13.1@106mph bone stock. There is no difference in performance wise between WS6/SS/ vs base T/A / z28
    WS6 = no noticeable gains at the track. I was trying to be a smart ass. I guess that fell through. Or you just didn't read the entire post.

I get what you're saying but could you break down that $2,000 in mods for me please?
    sure.

I am gonna give you my mods and my times first:

pulley set: $390 (installed for 20 bucks by a friend)

intake: $80 used (installed by me)

mac O/R prochamber midpipe: $140 used (installed by me)

mac catback: $200 used (installed by me)

tuner: $120 used

custom dyno tune: $300

Slicks: 20 bucks (rented from a buddy)

MGW shifter: 130 used

1/4 times 11.34@121.9mph with ONLY 1.68 60'

video:
    http://media.putfile.com/2003-cobra-78

Now, not everybody can run those times but the car has it in it even more.

You can go with ported blower. you can get it cheap for like 300-400 bucks (which gets you right around 2k) and tune it and run 10s. well i dont know about tohers but i know i can run 10s with a ported cobra without a problem.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

well i dont know about tohers but i know i can run 10s with a ported cobra without a problem.
    Your car is quick but I've seen more than a few 04s break half shafts at the track. I wouldn't consider one without a rear swap a stout drag car. An A4 LS1 can run rediculous times on a 10 bolt real cheap using used parts as well.

Your car is quick but I've seen more than a few 04s break half shafts at the track. I wouldn't consider one without a rear swap a stout drag car. An A4 LS1 can run rediculous times on a 10 bolt real cheap using used parts as well.
    Thanks!

yes it is very common but IMO they just don't know how to launch their cars. they rev up high with all that torque abd dump the clutch or they start to wheelhop and won't let go and it breaks. there are guys running 10s on stock rear end. the rear end itself is strong with 8.8" and axles are 31spline but the halfshafts are kind weak. if you kinda slip the clutch when you launch, I don't see you breaking them for a while. or if you are too worried about them, I would simply upgrade the halfshafts and do some 600-700rwhp dumps and not worry about breaking the rear.

10s have been done many many times with stock rear.

pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

You said a mouth full!!!! Hell yeh!!! 1000% accurate!!!!

See what I mean???? This is classic,,,first it starts with which 4th gen is the best or fastest,,,then evolves into a mustang 4th gen benchrace session.

Okay we need to keep them both going so lets stir the pot a little

SS's and WS6's are faster than regular 4th gens,,,,and cobras are only faster because they have a blower

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information