Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

white
    1990 Mustang GT

fox mustang vs t/a

hey everybody, i have a little bit of a problem. ive been into mustangs since i was a little kid, ive had two foxes since i turned 16 and i love them both. but... i went for a ride in my friends 2002 NHRA Trans Am the other day and it blew me away. i love the way they look, love the LS1. the cars are just bad ass.

so i figured ide come on here and ask you guys if you think it would be a good choice for a lifelong ford guy to try out a GM for once... anybody else on here get converted from mustangs?

i am looking to get something newer, like 2000 and up, and if ford had anything that wasnt modular ide think about it, but it seems to me that nowadays in the world of metrosexual 05+ mustangs and the ever present imports, the LS1s are holding it down for great performance at a decent price.

what should i do?

1999 T/A

yup i just bought my trans am about a month ago. Before that i drove a mustang. In my opinion, after driving a 6 speed ls1, the mustangs are a joke.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

depending on how much you want to spend, looks for a low miles formula all the way up to a WS6.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

you won't regret upgrading from a Mustang to an F-body. Just the other day a guy in a brand new Mustang GT decided to give the performance of his new purchase a test against my WS6...needless to say the look on his face was priceless as an 8 year old Formula beat his brand new 'stang

As for finding one to purchase...test drive lots of them, that will give you an idea of what you want. Definately go for a LS1 equipped 'bird...although more expensive than the LT1 equipped F-bodies, performance wise there really is no comparison between the two. The lower miles, the better, and I'd say definately get a WS6. In my experience, most people who will tell you the differences between the WS6 and a regular 'bird are minimal are those who don't own a WS6...having owned both, I can testify that there is a noticeable difference in acceleration and handling between compariably equipped vehicles ie same transmission and gearing. But don't take my word for it, test drive both for yourself and see. Also the WS6 will tend to hold its value better, and the looks speak for themselves...

Have fun looking for an F-body, and welcome to the Dark Side...
    1999 Formula WS6 Silver T-Top, 6 speed, 3:42 gears

1997 Trans Am Silver hardtop, many extras

THE WS6 THAT COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by Armor View Post
    you won't regret upgrading from a Mustang to an F-body. Just the other day a guy in a brand new Mustang GT decided to give the performance of his new purchase a test against my WS6...needless to say the look on his face was priceless as an 8 year old Formula beat his brand new 'stang

As for finding one to purchase...test drive lots of them, that will give you an idea of what you want. Definately go for a LS1 equipped 'bird...although more expensive than the LT1 equipped F-bodies, performance wise there really is no comparison between the two. The lower miles, the better, and I'd say definately get a WS6. In my experience, most people who will tell you the differences between the WS6 and a regular 'bird are minimal are those who don't own a WS6...having owned both, I can testify that there is a noticeable difference in acceleration and handling between compariably equipped vehicles ie same transmission and gearing. But don't take my word for it, test drive both for yourself and see. Also the WS6 will tend to hold its value better, and the looks speak for themselves...

Have fun looking for an F-body, and welcome to the Dark Side...
    i can agree with that statement. when i was out looking for a f-body i test drove alot LT1 and LS1. I test drove a 2000 trans am non-ws6 a4 and then test drove a 2000 WS6 A4 and i did notice the diffrence between the two and both were bone stock

white
    1990 Mustang GT

the mustang i own now is a 1990 GT, i love the car but i have a few problems with it and ford in general. ill try to explain.

1) the 5.0 is an awesome car, you guys are all gm addicts but you have to admit that the fox body mustang is an amazing vehicle for what it is and the options available to you as an owner of one are great. BUT, to even compaire to a stock LS1, you need to do quite a bit to the car. they break often and you need to change the entire drivetrain to make the car reliable. they dont hook for shit unless you tub the rear end which is a huge pain in the ass. it is nearly impossible to find one that hasnt been beat to shit. and plain and simply they do not look half as good as an f-body ta.

2) Ford in general has been pissing me off since 95. they had a few really good years with the 03-04 cobras. and i would consider a cobra, BUT. the cobras have independant rear suspension, which is a joke. how many of you have watched a cobra wheel hop all over the road? why would i spend 25-30 grand on a car that wheel hops. also, the cobras are fast, but they still have a 281ci 4.6. which, is a decent engine, but what is there to do to it performance wise? not much, swap a pulley, swap your blower? i worked at mustangs unlimited for a year and there is not much for internal upgrades for the cobras. there is a multitude of engine upgrades for the 346, heads, cam, intake, stroker kits, and even s/c or turbo's. like they all say there is no replacement for displacement. 346 or 281... hmmm... and again with the pussy magnet factor... a cobra, just looks like another mustang... but an f-body, now thats something different.

3) another problem i have with ford, they canned SVT for carroll shelby, the vehicles that SVT designed were pretty damn cool, 351 F150's, The 93-95 Cobras, 03-04 Cobras and Lightnings. all nice vehicles. why would ford go back to shelby? the new s197 platform is a joke. they are too heavy and underpowered. why would you make a vehicle that is already underpowered (96-04 mustang) heavier without upgrading the engine? The way ford is headed with this retro styling shelby stuff makes me sick, and from what i see of the 09 mustang concepts, its not getting any better. why would we want italians designing american "muscle" cars?

thats just a few of my reasons for saying to hell with this company thats done nothing but dissapoint me for years. im switching lol

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by NiteRiderWs6 View Post
    i can agree with that statement. when i was out looking for a f-body i test drove alot LT1 and LS1. I test drove a 2000 trans am non-ws6 a4 and then test drove a 2000 WS6 A4 and i did notice the diffrence between the two and both were bone stock
    No shit you noticed a difference. One has more HP stock. What WE with a stock TA mean by better to buy a regular TA than a WS6 is that in time you will want to mod it. Why pay thousands more for a car that you will be removing the shit that caost more anyway. Such as the exhaust and suspension. I CHOSE to buy a regular TA because the stuff that makes a WS6 can be bought else where for less and it could be better. Many companies make a WS6 hood for less than a grand, the exhaust will be coming out eventually ( so why pay more for the WS6 exhaust and then again when you are ready to upgrade) But if you got a money tree in the backyard then yes buy a WS6.

white
    1990 Mustang GT

yeah i agree with sandman, but i dont really know much about the cars yet so the difference between regular and ws6 or nhra is still foggy, but if your gonna change it all out whats the point

Im a mopar guy and I own(ed) ta's and z28s. I'm still a mopar guy, but love these cars and have had one almost all the time since I was 18, now I'm 29. If your a true ford guy you'll never become a gm guy. I know no matter what I'll never jump ship... but nothing wrong with owning other brands. I love seeing a mustang guy not like the new mustangs, I hate em!

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

WS6 owners are the only ones that say they are faster. Timeclocks don't lie. Never seen much of a difference between a "345 hp" Firehawk and a "305 hp" stripped down Z28 at the track. Same engine, same trans, same rear. If you want one verses the other based on looks then go for it but no real power advantage.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

The WS6 package is a cool package but if you just gonna upgrade the exhaust like most people do and the suspension like most people do then i would go with a regular T/A unless of course you care about it being a actual WS6 cause some people do and thats cool. But if you want less cost for the same or even better performance then just get a regular T/A unless of course you find a WS6 for cheap as hell. I paid 10,700 for mine with 48k on it and it came with new suspension and lowered so i put exhaust and headers on it and a lid and i have beaten WS6s so the choice is yours. Just remeber if a WS6 had the same mods as my car it would be just as fast not faster. Also remember not all LS1s are made equal.

white
    1990 Mustang GT

well im a true ford guy, i love ford trucks and love my mustang. but i hate the way ford is going, and i want to pick up something a little bit newer, but after 95 there isnt a mustang that i like, so im gonna try out a TA because i like them a hell of alot more than the new mustangs. i wouldnt even trade my basicly stock 1990 GT for a 2007 GT500 because i hate shelby that much.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '02 Trans Am WS6

Welcome to LS1. First off, Most Definately go for a T/A. You just can't find a sexier car for the price. The performance of one is astounding and the sound unbelievable, even stock. IMHO Mustangs were made for chicks. Sure they look good and they aren't horrid performers, but they just can't hang with the LS1 equipped F-Bodies. Also the cost of performance upgrades are less, you can make an F-Body run low 10's much much cheaper than you can make a Mustang, Theres no replacement for displacement. On another note, when you do buy one, do plenty of research on it. Firehawk or WS6 is your best bet, they both perform great from the start and the look is awsome. These guys say just buy a regular T/A but if you dont have money to throw at it right away, the Firehawk or WS6 will out perform you. Happy hunting, good luck, and welcome.

2000pontiac6
    Quote Originally Posted by KiD WiCKeD View Post
    Welcome to LS1. First off, Most Definately go for a T/A. You just can't find a sexier car for the price. The performance of one is astounding and the sound unbelievable, even stock. IMHO Mustangs were made for chicks. Sure they look good and they aren't horrid performers, but they just can't hang with the LS1 equipped F-Bodies. Also the cost of performance upgrades are less, you can make an F-Body run low 10's much much cheaper than you can make a Mustang, Theres no replacement for displacement. On another note, when you do buy one, do plenty of research on it. Firehawk or WS6 is your best bet, they both perform great from the start and the look is awsome. These guys say just buy a regular T/A but if you dont have money to throw at it right away, the Firehawk or WS6 will out perform you. Happy hunting, good luck, and welcome.
    But for the extra money you would need to throw down for a ws6 or firehawk just doesnt make sense. Yes they both look more badass but buy a ws6 or firehawk if you plan on babying it and keeping it clean because yeah.. they will hold their values better and should be left for the people who want to collect them and baby them, especially the hawks

Quote Originally Posted by KiD WiCKeD View Post
    Firehawk or WS6 is your best bet, they both perform great from the start and the look is awsome. These guys say just buy a regular T/A but if you dont have money to throw at it right away, the Firehawk or WS6 will out perform you. Happy hunting, good luck, and welcome.
    Agreed....stock on stock with equal drivers in equally equipped cars (transmission, gears) the Firehawk, WS6, and SS Camaro are gonna beat a T/A, Formula, or Z28 every time. The arguement that it's "cheaper" to modify a regular T/A in the long run just doesn't hold water, IMO. With the WS6 package you get the following equipment the regular T/A doesn't have...

WS6 Option, Includes: (this is off the factory window sticker on my '99 WS6)
    *Ram Air induction system
    *Functional air scoops
    *Specific low restriction dual exhaust system
    *5 spoke 17" high polished aluminium wheels
    *P275/40ZR17 speed rated Tires
    *Specific tuned suspension
    *Power Steering Cooler

The WS6 option adds about $1100-2300 of value on a used T/A according to NADA...I don't think you can do all of the above on a regular T/A for under $2300...you'll spend that much on hood, rims and tires alone...but you get all that up front with the WS6.

black

In my experience, most people who will tell you the differences between the WS6 and a regular 'bird are minimal are those who don't own a WS6...having owned both, I can testify that there is a noticeable difference in acceleration and handling between compariably equipped vehicles ie same transmission and gearing.
    In my experience at the track (e.t and trap speed dont lie), stripper Z/28S and base model FORMULAS are faster than WS6s and SSs.
    also many of people have dynoed thier LS1s and they all dyno pretty close to each other, be it a Z/28 or a FIREHAWK.

black

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    WS6 owners are the only ones that say they are faster. Timeclocks don't lie. Never seen much of a difference between a "345 hp" Firehawk and a "305 hp" stripped down Z28 at the track. Same engine, same trans, same rear. If you want one verses the other based on looks then go for it but no real power advantage.
    firehawk owners like to claim they are faster also.
    i proved a local hawk owner wrong years back when i was stock and he had all his upgraded slp shit.

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

Agreed....stock on stock with equal drivers in equally equipped cars (transmission, gears) the Firehawk, WS6, and SS Camaro are gonna beat a T/A, Formula, or Z28 every time. The arguement that it's "cheaper" to modify a regular T/A in the long run just doesn't hold water, IMO. With the WS6 package you get the following equipment the regular T/A doesn't have...

WS6 Option, Includes: (this is off the factory window sticker on my '99 WS6)
    *Ram Air induction system (can be bought for under a grand)*Functional air scoops (COMES WITH ABOVE)
    *Specific low restriction dual exhaust system (BUT STILL NOT AS GOOD AS BORLA, CORSA, or ANY OTHER. SO IT WILL COME OFF EVENTUALLY)
    *5 spoke 17" high polished aluminium wheels (size doesnt matter in the 1/4 mile)
    *P275/40ZR17 speed rated Tires
    *Specific tuned suspension (will most likley come out any way)
    *Power Steering Cooler (IF you cant hold the steering wheel straight in the 1/4 mile you shouldnt be driving)

The WS6 option adds about $1100-2300 of value on a used T/A according to NADA...I don't think you can do all of the above on a regular T/A for under $2300...you'll spend that much on hood, rims and tires alone...but you get all that up front with the WS6.

black

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    Just remeber if a WS6 had the same mods as my car it would be just as fast not faster. Also remember not all LS1s are made equal.
    hows the ram air going to be faster??
    i mean on the internet, WS6s, SSs and FIREHAWKS are faster, at a race track, thats not the case.
    do a search of peoples times, all stock LS1 cars do about the same E.Ts

black

Agreed....stock on stock with equal drivers in equally equipped cars (transmission, gears) the Firehawk, WS6, and SS Camaro are gonna beat a T/A, Formula, or Z28 every time.
    maybe if you say that enough times, above will be true.
    use the search feature on this site, it will paint a different story.
    also ls1tech has a great search feature that will prove you wrong.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information