Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

fox mustang vs t/a

This is a discussion on fox mustang vs t/a within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by riceslayer302 in the world of metrosexual 05+ mustangs and the ever present imports You couldn't have put ...

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by riceslayer302 View Post
    in the world of metrosexual 05+ mustangs and the ever present imports

You couldn't have put that any better. Gotta love that pretty green color they come in too, looks like they share a paint shop with the VW bugs.

What's up with the WS.6 hating? I completely understand the arguments against if all you are going to do is take the track. But if you intend on driving it around anywhere else...
    Point is you're making it sound like you have to defend not having the WS.6 package which is absurd. Sure the WS.6 package will cost you a little more, but like many have said, you'll get it right back if you choose to sell it.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Ok for the mustang guy heres the deal as long as it has the ls1 in it in good condition you will be happy. The formulas are lighter i had one but i like the way the T/A looks so i bought a trans am. The WS6 package when it comes down to it just really helps your resell value. Like i said i have suspension a lid, headers and catback exhaust and i have taken all the stock WS6s i have raced. Its all about what you want and your budget just be sure to look hard and have fun with a great car. You will like the car especially goin from a fox body stang to a f-body, no offense. My best friend has a 89 GT with a cam and 3.73 rear end and exhaust i take him no problem so the performance you will get from your LS1 will dwarf the 302. Just get what you like thats all that matters, if you want to be able to say i have WS6 get it, if not but you like the T/A ground effects and spoiler like i did get that, if you want the lightest car and dont car about extra body flare go with the formula. Heres my advise make sure it has a LS1 and T-Tops and your gonna be happy.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    WS6 owners are the only ones that say they are faster. Timeclocks don't lie. Never seen much of a difference between a "345 hp" Firehawk and a "305 hp" stripped down Z28 at the track. Same engine, same trans, same rear. If you want one verses the other based on looks then go for it but no real power advantage.
    Thats funny you say that because I raced a 2002 ws6 trans am with hardly any miles on it and my car was BONE STOCK 00 regular not ws6 trans am.....and i beat him by a car length.....both were automatics......so in my opinion some of these f bodies came off of the assembly line fast as hell!!!

white
    1990 Mustang GT

about going off topic, no worries, im psyched my first post on the site is such a hit hahaha.

t/a guru i appreciate the opinion. i know there will be a huge difference between a foxbody gt and a LS1 or even LT1. although my GT is relatively stock and according to my g-meter runs a 13.7 missing 2nd, i know i will enjoy not only the performance but the style of the t/a.

my friend just spent about 5 grand on his mustang, 89GT same exact thing as mine, trick flow twisted wedge heads, stage 2 cam, bbk ssi intake, walbro 190lph, eibach pro drag launch springs, fuel pressure regulator, welds w/ drag radials, electric fan, alum radiator, blah blah blah and he says my car the way it is is as fast as his after all his mods... i think its kinda hit and miss with the cars, his has much more mileage maybe that has something to do with it idk. i think he will still lose to a basicly stock T/A.

another friend of mine has a h/c/i 89LX with powerdyne s/c and says he wishes he'd gotten an LS1 because everytime he races a SS or T/A he still loses...

how do the f-bodies hook stock? i know mustangs cant for shit.

metrosexual 05+ mustangs, i know right? i HATE the S197 platform, the worst car EVER. first off almost every one you see is a 4.0 automatic with all these crazy racing stripes all over it... wtf? way to sell the fuck out ford.... why go back to the old mustangs and not go back to 429ci? the old ones were turds, but the new ones are slow as hell and UGLY imho. the only people i see driving 05+ stangs are old men and metro ass homo looking kids who think they are hot sh*t in their 4.6 GT automatic... love wiping them all over the road with a good fox, but with an F-Body, it must feel AMAZING

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

About a week ago some kid pulled next ot me on the freeway driving a 05+ GT burgundy no sun roof nothing just looked so plain. Gunned it i caught him we both hit it and that was that from 60-120 i pulled 7 or more cars on him. As for hook up its decent with subframe connectors and around stock tires i hook up fine my self although you cant just stomp it or you will spin hard lol.

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

Ditto on the metrosexual thing. I got a friend who said that he was thinking about gettin one because they look nice. I said " Why spend that much money for such a slow car, you could get a TA for half that and smoke those."
    He repied " I dont really care about the performance, Its about how you look driving it."
    I just laughed and asked him " Your really gay, right?"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    In my experience at the track (e.t and trap speed dont lie), stripper Z/28S and base model FORMULAS are faster than WS6s and SSs.
    also many of people have dynoed thier LS1s and they all dyno pretty close to each other, be it a Z/28 or a FIREHAWK.
    I agree formula and non WS6 TA is like 100lb less too.

white
    1990 Mustang GT

if thats what you want in a car thats fine if you wanna look cool in your 05 mustang gt 4.6 thats fine with me, just dont complain that you cant get your car to break 12's.

one of the main reasons i HATE the S197's is the absolute rave over them. idk if you guys, being ls1 fans, are exposed to it as much as i, being a (former) mustang guy. i have been a faithful subscriber to 5.0 mustangs and superfords and muscle mustangs and fast fords magazines for a few years now. and ever since the 05's came out, EVERY article is about some cheesey lame 05 mustang variant that is built by some random shop that will never be mass produced. i mean, when the name of your magazine is 5.0 mustangs and all you write about is 4.6 and 5.4 turds, it gets stupid, and they are all the SAME DAMN THING WITH DIFFERENT PAINT. im so sick of the rage over the things, they are nothing special, i guess im just oldschool cuz i can respect a nice 5.0 wayyy more than a s197 or even sn95. even the so called "tech" articles are the same thing every month: "Boost your 05's ponies by 5hp with this new cold air intake!!!!!"

ZOMG!!! like you need step by step instructions on cold air for an 05 mustang... THE GHEY
    Last edited by riceslayer302; 04-16-2007 at 05:38 PM.

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

Yeah I agree. I haven't raced my ws6 yet but I have been to the track enough times with my camaro. I don't think the ws6 is any faster at all. It handles better and the suspention feels alot tighter, but as far as in a straight line I don't think it makes a differance. I just got the ws6 because I think they will be a collectors item one day and the ws6 will bring in a whole lot more money than the regular t/a's. I'm not an expert on ls1's but that's my 2 cents. The ws6 is woth it though!!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    '02 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    *Ram Air induction system makes about 3 more horsepower than a airbox on a non ram air car
    *Functional air scoops are good for fresh air but dont make any difference
    *Specific low restriction dual exhaust system good for about 5 horsepower over a non ram air
    *5 spoke 17" high polished aluminium wheelswhen it comes to racing 16 inch rims are better
    *P275/40ZR17 speed rated Tireswhile rated for top speed, they suck at off the line traction
    *Specific tuned suspension you feel the bumps more, doesnt change drag times
    *Power Steering Cooleruseless, i have one on my car
    On the ram air note, Is that hp rating on a dyno or out in the real world? According to VR, ram air makes more power the faster you go due to the velocity of the air entering the airbox.

pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Armor View Post
    you won't regret upgrading from a Mustang to an F-body. Just the other day a guy in a brand new Mustang GT decided to give the performance of his new purchase a test against my WS6...needless to say the look on his face was priceless as an 8 year old Formula beat his brand new 'stang

As for finding one to purchase...test drive lots of them, that will give you an idea of what you want. Definately go for a LS1 equipped 'bird...although more expensive than the LT1 equipped F-bodies, performance wise there really is no comparison between the two. The lower miles, the better, and I'd say definately get a WS6. In my experience, most people who will tell you the differences between the WS6 and a regular 'bird are minimal are those who don't own a WS6...having owned both, I can testify that there is a noticeable difference in acceleration and handling between compariably equipped vehicles ie same transmission and gearing. But don't take my word for it, test drive both for yourself and see. Also the WS6 will tend to hold its value better, and the looks speak for themselves...

Have fun looking for an F-body, and welcome to the Dark Side...
    AHMEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pewter
    '99 Pontiac Trans Am

AS a fellow mustang lover, I have to say that the late 4th-gen. f-bodies are def. the way to go. I had a 90 fox GT that I loved, but when it died and I got the 99T/A, I fell in love again. when i lost that T/A I felt like I lost a kid. currently in a 02GT, but trying to get out of it for an 02 NHRA T/A. Mustangs are SOOOOOOOOOO much slower, and not half as much fun to drive. T/A's look better, tons more power, and built much better. If you drove a GT and a T/A back to back, you would think the GT had a 4-cylinder, and buggy springs.

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Fox body vs LS1 - stock for stock - or equally modified = no comparison.

LS1 is superior, as it is with every Mustang GT ever built.

WS6/ SS/ Firehawk vs TA/ Formula/ Z28-

One argument that I failed to see anyone make (I may have over looked it)

Ummm the nostrils make the car have SOOO much more character.

It might not be every single persons cup of tea. But an overwhelming majority of people agree the aggressive look of the SS/WS6/ firehawk makes for an exciting and awesome looking car which stands out in a much more positive way than the base line package offered by GM.

Yes I own a WS6-- and that is the only LS1 I considered (except the SS, I pondered that thought too).

2009 Pontiac G8 GT
    Liquid Red

Black ASC#7564 May11,2001
    2001 Trans Am WS6

The 01-02 T56 WS6 / SS dyno 314hp to the wheels on average. (330 torque)
    The 01-02 T56 Z28 / TA dyno 308hp to the wheels on average. (322 Torque)
    The older cars dyno a lfew hp less.
    (Averages from many cars on many different Dyno Jet dynos)

The Muffler on the SS / WS6 does add a little power, but I don't think anyone will notice a 6 hp difference in a race.

As far as weight is concerned, from what I have seen so far, the difference between a stripper Z28 and a loaded Trans Am is only about 153lbs.

2002 WS6 Auto - All Options, Full Tank - 3606 lbs
    1998 Z28 1LE T56 - No Power windows, No Power Seats, No T-Tops,Cloth Seats, No ASR, No CD Changer Full Tank of Fuel - 3453 lbs.
    1998 T56 Formula 1LE - Same options as Z28 - 3460 lbs.

The 1LE components probably add a few lbs though.

Just to compare - the 05 Mustang GT 5 speed averages 265hp 282TQ yet it is rated only 10hp less than the 01-02 Z28.
    2001 Cobra - 274hp 282Tq rated 320 at flywheel.
    04 GTO T56 - 302hp 323Tq rated 350 at flywheel.
    05 GTO T56 - 339hp 339tq rated 400 at flywheel.
    Last edited by DarthD; 12-19-2007 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Add other Info

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

i have owned a 02 ta and now my 02 firehawk. the ta had a much smoother ride, but as far as performance my ta with 97,000 mi on it was just as strong as my hawk is with 45,000 mi on it. the hawk is much quicker from a dig due to the rear gears being lower but from 70mph on my ta was just as strong as my hawk is now.

Black
    2000 WS6

Swapping to an fbody is the same thing I did after selling my two fox bodies. As for your comment on the Terminators (03-04 cobra)...on that there isnt much to do with them...my buddy has an 03 with IRS and its amazing...handles awesome and no wheel hop at all...running around with 600rwhp and never lost any driveability in the car is amazing...those cars are top notch in my book...

Turbo cobras are making 750-800rwhp on pump gas without even lifting a valve cover...

Im in the process of getting a 2000 WS6 6spd and am so excited for it...I just sold my second fox body and will miss it but not when Im driving the WS6...nothing like the looks of a WS6...and they really do haul *** for stock...

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by sandman22 View Post
    No shit you noticed a difference. One has more HP stock. What WE with a stock TA mean by better to buy a regular TA than a WS6 is that in time you will want to mod it. Why pay thousands more for a car that you will be removing the shit that caost more anyway. Such as the exhaust and suspension. I CHOSE to buy a regular TA because the stuff that makes a WS6 can be bought else where for less and it could be better. Many companies make a WS6 hood for less than a grand, the exhaust will be coming out eventually ( so why pay more for the WS6 exhaust and then again when you are ready to upgrade) But if you got a money tree in the backyard then yes buy a WS6.
    yes sir i did the exact same thing with mine. i remmber that day like if it was yesterday.... flashback.... There was an 2000 Pewter TA 6speed a 2000 Z28 Camaro A4 and a 2001 WS6, i chose the 2000 Pweter TA because when i drove the WS6 i did notice an extra push, but not by much, i saved over 3000 doing that with those 3000 i can spend it on mods.

Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

I think a lot of the above is just a silly arguement and alot of times people just can't admit that one car has more power than another.

Comparing STOCK VS. STOCK a WS6 will have between 5-10 rwhp more than a reg Trans Am..why is this so hard to understand??? The WS6 comes with better (and I use this term loosely) "performance" parts from the factory.

Now take a reg trans am and a WS6, bolt on the same parts and now u have equal power, esp with the basic bolt-ons. Once u start doing heads/cams/stalls and tunes the numbers will start to vary more.

End of convo....shit...15 hp will not win you a race if you can't drive. waaaaahhh waahhhh wahhhhh

Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

Quote Originally Posted by KiD WiCKeD View Post
    On the ram air note, Is that hp rating on a dyno or out in the real world? According to VR, ram air makes more power the faster you go due to the velocity of the air entering the airbox.
    @ 100mph its the equivalent to 1psi..so about 10hp, 5-8 rwhp

Black
    2000 T/A

some n00bs!!! lol I love f-bodies but I'm not going to hate on mustangs, I have driven mustang gts and they aren't that bad with some bolt ons. MUSTANGS have the rep of being a cool well known car because they're so old, I mean came out in 64...43 years ago
    Camaros Firebirds have the rep of being the bad ass guys vehicles...

both have strong points and weaknesses.... fact is cept for termys fbodies smoke the ponies

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information