Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Found out about the "reconstructed title" Formula today...

I heard back from the seller today. ( '00 WS6 Formula A4, 45k miles) He's the first out of the four people I emailed to write back.

Here's what he wrote:

"Reconstructed means the car preveously had a salvage title. The car was
    purchased and fixed and then inspected by state police. The RMV issues a new title as reconstructed. The car had fresh water damage in 2001. I purchased in jan 2002 and fixed. The car has brand new z06 corvette rims (not shown in picture). "

Ok, that doesn't sound too bad. At least it wasn't wrecked. Water damage doesn't sound too great, but if it's been fixed and running for 5 years, then I imagine it was fixed right. I would think that any issues it had would have either been fixed by now, or at least be very obvious at this point.

Any thoughts?

NBM
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    I heard back from the seller today. ( '00 WS6 Formula A4, 45k miles) He's the first out of the four people I emailed to write back.

Here's what he wrote:

"Reconstructed means the car preveously had a salvage title. The car was
    purchased and fixed and then inspected by state police. The RMV issues a new title as reconstructed. The car had fresh water damage in 2001. I purchased in jan 2002 and fixed. The car has brand new z06 corvette rims (not shown in picture). "

Ok, that doesn't sound too bad. At least it wasn't wrecked. Water damage doesn't sound too great, but if it's been fixed and running for 5 years, then I imagine it was fixed right. I would think that any issues it had would have either been fixed by now, or at least be very obvious at this point.

Any thoughts?
    Main thing to check on water damage vehicles is fluids, generally the tranny fluid will have a white foam to it.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 R.I.P.

wait until it's a good, hot day. then go open the car up. If it stinks...not fixed, just covered over for a fast sell. also get into it and turn the heater and AC on. It could have mold in the vents he didn't get, another sign of shoddy work.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Now say there WAS water in the tranny. If the car wasn't driven, and all fluids were changed, could there still be permanant damage?

As far as this being a quickie fix to sell, the seller says he's had the car since Jan of '02. That's the only reason I'm considering it now. If the car doesn't appear to have any issues (AC works, no moldy smell in car or from vents, all power stuff works), I'm thinking that over the past 5 years any issues that were there would have had to pop up by now.

If this car was just fixed thisyear, no way I'd even consider it. But since it's been fixed and running for five years now, I'm thinking it's been fixed right.

Is my logic flawed here?

I'll just have to look at it VERY carefully. Thanks for the suggestions, I'd appreciate any more that you can think of.

NBM
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Now say there WAS water in the tranny. If the car wasn't driven, and all fluids were changed, could there still be permanant damage?
    Yes.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 R.I.P.

I don"t know, man. I wouldnt trust someone SAYING they've been driving it for five years. Is the car in a place you can see it before you buy it? if it is, ask him if you can drive it on your off day or something. that will give you a chance to get down and dirty with the car without him present to make excuses or steer you away from something. a 'reconstructed' title isn't that hot, as far as I'm concerned.

remember, people SAY a lot of crap.

black
    2004 GTO 6M

do not buy flood cars its just a guessing game you could have stuff shorting out soon, yeah it might work fine now but a few years down the road it could go crazy. cars now days have way too much electrical to buy flood cars. I had a 93 Z28 and it was a flood car i didn't find out til my windows and radio stopped working about a year after i bought it. I ripped apart the car only to find about half of the wires under the dash all rustry and mold was everywhere. I ripped out the motor and tranny and rear end and junked it. Just my 2 cents

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

damn! that's shitty...i'm down for a reconstructed car from a wreck, but not water.

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Everything I have heard, tells me to steer clear of water damaged vehicles, Too many computers, electronics parts, that can be ruined by the water. Not to mention the other parts that are a big no-no getting water logged.

There is a place about 20 miles up the road from me that specializes in Fbody parts, and they often have a few reconstructed titles/ salvage titles, but never have I seen them try to sell a water damaged car ( I guess some won't even bother with it) Others will.

Good Luck

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Yeah, as much as I like the WS6 Formulas, I think I'm going to pass.

Sucks too, I had just gotten my head around the idea of possbily buying a car that was previously crashed, but the water thing is too much.

They made 231 others that year, hopefully one of those is for sale.

artic white
    2001 WS6 Trans Am

I worked as a mechanic for 6 years before I joined the army. Trust me you do not want a flood car. I have worked on quite a few and they all have some of the worst electrical problems you can imagine. With those cars as soon as we got one thing fixed something else would go to hell. Water causes corrosion and corrosion ruins electrical curcits
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Red
    1998 A4 TA

I almost bought a salvaged formula after katrina. It was the most beautiful car I've ever seen. But, I live in texas, and it was pretty obvious after driving it in the summer that there was mold somewhere. It had a musty smell. To fix that the entire interior would have to be stripped out and thrown away... assuming it was flooded. Water will creep up and even soak the headliner. They might have had the leather cleaned, but what about inside the seats? under the carpet? Unless they replaced it all, I bet you'll have mold.

Also, every joint and piece of rubber on the car could be prematurely drying up. If the electronics got wet, expect those to corrode and fail sooner as well. You can open up all the little electronics boxes under the hood and see if there's a waterline, but I'm sure it would have been wiped clean. Don't forget about the electronics under the seats ( i think the airbag system is under the seat, but could be wrong ) and in the dash. There's also all the wiring throughout the car for lights, radio, etc.

There's a reason they total flooded cars. It could end up costing you a lot of money down the road. IMO, you should find another car.

Quote from the all-knowing internet: "Flood-damaged cars are the one type of car that CARFAX will not recommend you buy," Gamache said. "Buy a car that was previously a salvage car. Buy a car that was previously in an accident. Buy a car with a rolled-back odometer. Never buy a flood-damaged vehicle. There is no way to predict how that car is going to perform in an accident."

Black
    2001 T/A WS6 M6

Yea I wouldnt buy a flood car.

I actually just bought a previously salvaged 2001 T/A WS6 M6. with 43k miles. I only paid $11,600 for it! you cant even tell anything ever happend to it.

If the car wasn't beyond repair and is repaired correctly it can be a huge value. Cars like the one I got sell for 18-20k all day long. Yea the resell value wont be there but if your not looking to sell who cares? I would have never been able to get a car like this if it wasnt for this deal I found on the previously salvaged T/A. No one will know unless I tell them. With the previously salvaged title i feel less guilty about doing mods and driving it around often and its just as bad ass as any T/A out there.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by WS6fan View Post
    Yea I wouldnt buy a flood car.

I actually just bought a previously salvaged 2001 T/A WS6 M6. with 43k miles. I only paid $11,600 for it! you cant even tell anything ever happend to it.

If the car wasn't beyond repair and is repaired correctly it can be a huge value. Cars like the one I got sell for 18-20k all day long. Yea the resell value wont be there but if your not looking to sell who cares? I would have never been able to get a car like this if it wasnt for this deal I found on the previously salvaged T/A. No one will know unless I tell them. With the previously salvaged title i feel less guilty about doing mods and driving it around often and its just as bad ass as any T/A out there.
    I agree. After doing a little research here, I found that resale value aside, there's nothing wrong with a salvage titled car. I actually found another I was interested in, a Z28, but I don't have enough to pay in cash, and my (and most, if not all, as I understand) bank won't finance a car w/out a clean title.

Sounds like you got a great deal on yours, good luck with the it!

Thread Information