Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Formula vs. Trans am

This is a discussion on Formula vs. Trans am within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by The Scientist I applaud JohnnyBs for his attempts to correct all the misinformation in this thread and ...

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Quote Originally Posted by The Scientist View Post
    I applaud JohnnyBs for his attempts to correct all the misinformation in this thread and he is absolutely right on nearly every point I do have one thing to add. SLP (only 2 miles from the f-body factory) did all of the equipment swap at their facility including suspension, wheels/tires, exhaust, and exterior ehancments for both the SS and Firehawk (as well WS6 until ASC was contracted). This is why for a long time you could by factory "take-off" pieces direct from SLP including 16" wheel/tire combos, shocks/springs, and sway bars.

Oh, and just to stir the pot a little, lets not forget the "rumor" that a certain number of lucky f-bodies happened to get LS-6 blocks because of LS-1 block production problems.
    Thanks, and your welcome.

I was aware that the LT1 SS/WS6/Hawk cars received all their upgrades at SLP, but I was of the understanding that starting w/ the LS1 cars, the wheels/tires, suspension and exhaust upgrades were already installed before the cars arrived at SLP (since ASC didn't do any heavy mechanical work on the WS6s, it made sense for GM to do both the WS6 and base SS/Hawk upgrades at St. Therese). This left just the hood and any customer-ordered Y2Y options to be installed by SLP. But then again, I'm a little fuzzy on this history detail.

Also, didn't ASC do all the ragtop installs for the f-bods? I seem to recall a discussion years ago that concluded that if you had a SS or Hawk 'vert, it got "touched" by both SLP and ASC. Or did ASC just supply the ragtops to GM and they installed them at St. Therese? Inquiring minds want to know!

Oh, and just to stir the pot a little, lets not forget the "rumor" that a certain number of lucky f-bodies happened to get LS-6 blocks because of LS-1 block production problems.
    Very few '01 and '02 LS1 actually had LS6 blocks, which have a different part number and a darker metal cast... not a rumor...

Madeche Vision...soon The Scientist's Avatar

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

I found this about the ws6 modifications. It seems that ASC also made the upgrades in house. The cars were actually driven to SLP but it seems there were shipped to ASC. However, I know that the 30th anniv. left the factory with the blue wheels, white non-ram air hood and all the interior pieces. Not sure about the exhaust.
    "ASC took the Trans Am models coming off the assembly line at GM, and shipped them to their facility. There, they made all the upgrades of the WS6 package. Upgrades included a new hood, new wheels, new air box, and other minor modifications, as well as all new badging."

Point 2: The confusion may be that ASC was contracted by mainly GM and Toyota to design convertible cars. That is what ASC specialized in and still does today and may have had a lot to do with what you are talking about. I was able to find a statement that I ran across a long time ago regarding this but it does not specify if the covertibles were done at ASC or at the factory. I would lean towards them bein assembled at the St. Theresa plant.
    "The year 2002 saw a new joint venture, American Sunroof Inalfa, launched with Inalfa Industries, which became the second largest maker of aftermarket sunroofs worldwide. The company was also producing convertible systems for the Toyota Solara, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Chevy Camaro, Pontiac Firebird, and BMW Z3 at this time, and the 2003 Chevrolet SSR convertible truck would soon bring additional work in this area."

Madeche Vision...soon The Scientist's Avatar

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    Very few '01 and '02 LS1 actually had LS6 blocks, which have a different part number and a darker metal cast... not a rumor...
    I know its not a rumor. Didn't mean to word it like that but thanks for catching it.

I know its not a rumor. Didn't mean to word it like that but thanks for catching it.

I found this about the ws6 modifications. It seems that ASC also made the upgrades in house. The cars were actually driven to SLP but it seems there were shipped to ASC. However, I know that the 30th anniv. left the factory with the blue wheels, white non-ram air hood and all the interior pieces. Not sure about the exhaust.
    "ASC took the Trans Am models coming off the assembly line at GM, and shipped them to their facility. There, they made all the upgrades of the WS6 package. Upgrades included a new hood, new wheels, new air box, and other minor modifications, as well as all new badging."

Point 2: The confusion may be that ASC was contracted by mainly GM and Toyota to design convertible cars. That is what ASC specialized in and still does today and may have had a lot to do with what you are talking about. I was able to find a statement that I ran across a long time ago regarding this but it does not specify if the covertibles were done at ASC or at the factory. I would lean towards them bein assembled at the St. Theresa plant.
    "The year 2002 saw a new joint venture, American Sunroof Inalfa, launched with Inalfa Industries, which became the second largest maker of aftermarket sunroofs worldwide. The company was also producing convertible systems for the Toyota Solara, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Chevy Camaro, Pontiac Firebird, and BMW Z3 at this time, and the 2003 Chevrolet SSR convertible truck would soon bring additional work in this area."
    good literature mate...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information