Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Formula vs. Trans am

This is a discussion on Formula vs. Trans am within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by djvaly I dyno stock 290rwhp. then I see most ws6 folks claim 300-305rwhp. give or take a ...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    I dyno stock 290rwhp. then I see most ws6 folks claim 300-305rwhp. give or take a few I guess.
    yea well like i said its build tolerances. i mean they are .01, or maybe its a .001 build tolerance, so there is a pretty big gap in hp when you look at the low and the high. the exhuast gives you maybe 5-10 hp , so yea it does help a lil. i believe the 01-02 ws6s were in house made. but the 98-00 were sent out...lol but i'm not sure if i have that right. but yea. 98 ws6s had the famous single exhuast outlet. only year that the ws6 had that. if you read that sticky about diffs in f-bodys in years thread it mentions the ws6.

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    yea well like i said its build tolerances. i mean they are .01, or maybe its a .001 build tolerance, so there is a pretty big gap in hp when you look at the low and the high. the exhuast gives you maybe 5-10 hp , so yea it does help a lil. i believe the 01-02 ws6s were in house made. but the 98-00 were sent out...lol but i'm not sure if i have that right. but yea. 98 ws6s had the famous single exhuast outlet. only year that the ws6 had that. if you read that sticky about diffs in f-bodys in years thread it mentions the ws6.
    just did ... some of this stuff get convoluted pretty quickly
    they prob did '98-'00 ws6 upgardes not in house. hmmm. I will check on that more closely cause I thought 98-00 people around here just modded them ws6. I guess there could be a small percentage that GM gave them that way.

98' trans am

just did ... some of this stuff get convoluted pretty quickly
    they prob did '98-'00 ws6 upgardes not in house. hmmm. I will check on that more closely cause I thought 98-00 people around here just modded them ws6. I guess there could be a small percentage that GM gave them that way.
    i believe 98 was the rarest year for the 4th gen ws6. but who knows..well i'm off to research this subject closer.

let me know shaddy. , back to me work..

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

dude, there may a WS6 package available on 98-00... but u have to pay extra... I'm talking stock.. zzzz.. also 01-02 have ws6 as stock not as an add on perfomance package that's why it is tied with the LS6 intake manifold.
    as far as '96 u talking of LT1 TA cars not LS1... I checked my info and I stand by it, go back and do some research newbbie
    most people will mod their '98-'00 as WS6 by getting ram air hood, LS6 instake and a WS6 emblem on the back,.. ohh big deal.
    hahahah...
    let me break it down:
    ram air hood has been around I guess previous than '01.. but...

'98-'00 are regular V8 LS1 TA. they do not have the ws6 package from factory, but may be optional. but most people do slap in the ram air hood and LS6 intake and call it a ws6.

'01-'02 are the real ws6 where they come out of the factory with the ws6 package installed. which included the ls6 intake, ram air hood and a better catback.
    I don't know where you are getting your info from, but you are confused, and are confusing everyone who reads your posts. IF YOU DON'T HAVE YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT, PLEASE REFRAIN FROM PERPETUATING MIS-INFORMATION!!

The (outwardly badged) WS6 option was available FROM THE FACTORY on '96-'02 Trans Ams, and '96-'00 Formulas. It was a cost-option EVERY YEAR. Ask someone who OWNs a non-WS6 '01 or '02 Trans Am or Formula if RPO "WS6" was included "as stock" on their car. Ask someone who OWNS a '01-'02 WS6 if they had to pay extra for it when they bought the car NEW. Ask someone who OWNS a '98-'00 "real" WS6 if they had to add their ram-air hood. WS6 was NEVER a dealer-installed option, nor was it EVER "free" or "standard as stock". And I (and others) repeat, the LS6 intake manifold was added to EVERY LS1 engine in '01 and '02, INCLUDING "plain" Z28s, "plain" Formulas, "plain" T/As and even Vettes!. It was NOT part of the WS6 package.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag View Post
    I don't know where you are getting your info from, but you are confused, and are confusing everyone who reads your posts. IF YOU DON'T HAVE YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT, PLEASE REFRAIN FROM PERPETUATING MIS-INFORMATION!!

The (outwardly badged) WS6 option was available FROM THE FACTORY on '96-'02 Trans Ams, and '96-'00 Formulas. It was a cost-option EVERY YEAR. Ask someone who OWNs a non-WS6 '01 or '02 Trans Am or Formula if RPO "WS6" was included "as stock" on their car. Ask someone who OWNS a '01-'02 WS6 if they had to pay extra for it when they bought the car NEW. Ask someone who OWNS a '98-'00 "real" WS6 if they had to add their ram-air hood. WS6 was NEVER a dealer-installed option, nor was it EVER "free" or "standard as stock". And I (and others) repeat, the LS6 intake manifold was added to EVERY LS1 engine in '01 and '02, INCLUDING "plain" Z28s, "plain" Formulas, "plain" T/As and even Vettes!. It was NOT part of the WS6 package.
    yea i already told him and he knows now. thanks tho.

Pewter Metallic (1of?)
    2001 Formula M6(1 of 225)

Has everybody forgotten that the WS-6 package also entailed some suspension upgrades, (i.e. better sway bars)?

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by LS1Formula01 View Post
    Has everybody forgotten that the WS-6 package also entailed some suspension upgrades, (i.e. better sway bars)?
    no we knew that. stiffer springs to and larger swaybar.

I was just telling it what the sitcker link says, but the 98 had a ws6 version I guess not the same as 01-02.. I think the confusion is the variations on the ws6 package that's all. for sure the 01-02 have ls6 instake, and better catback as ws6. GM don't say crap about the earlier ws6 package either. in my opinion I think when people say ws6 they mean the newest '01-'02 deal, that's what I meant too.. but if GM made earlier ws6, it is not documented too well. my 2 cents.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    what???? noooo the 01-02s have the ls6 intake. the 98-00 have the ls1 intake.
    i fucked up, i meant to say a formula, trans am and Z/28 also had the LS6 intake in the 01-02 model years.
    taking 3 vicodins today has clouded my posting, lol.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

black

I dyno stock 290rwhp. then I see most ws6 folks claim 300-305rwhp. give or take a few I guess.
    i dynoed 289 when stock.

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

More clarification here as well..........

In '96-'97, SLP was contracted by GM to perform the SS and WS6 "upgrades" since they were already doing similar stuff for the Firehawks. In '98, the WS6 contract went to ASC, but the SS contract stayed w/ SLP, and it remained that way through '02. This is why you could order additional "SLP upgrade options" on LS1 SS ('98-'02) and Firehawks ('99-'02), but not on WS6s. I'm not sure if SLP offered any optional upgrades on the '96-'97 WS6s when they were doing those.

Since SLP and ASC are (were) sub-contracted by GM for touching these cars, they are still considered "from the factory" and "in-house" (even though all the cars literally left the factory and was transported to SLP/ASC for the "upgrades"). Also, not ALL of the SS/WS6 "upgrades" were installed by SLP or ASC. For the LS1 cars, I believe the only thing ASC did was swap the hood and lower airbox and installed the badge on WS6s. Same thing for the SSs at SLP unless the customer ordered some of those other "SLP options". Therefore, non-SLP-optioned SS and WS6 cars went to SLP and ASC w/ their upgraded (over non-SS/WS6) suspension, exhaust and wheels already installed by GM's St. Therese plant. All that was left for SLP/ASC to do was to swap hoods, lower airbox (for WS6s) and slap on a badge.

Black
    99 SS

camaro's are better, lol

j/k guys

More clarification here as well..........

In '96-'97, SLP was contracted by GM to perform the SS and WS6 "upgrades" since they were already doing similar stuff for the Firehawks. In '98, the WS6 contract went to ASC, but the SS contract stayed w/ SLP, and it remained that way through '02. This is why you could order additional "SLP upgrade options" on LS1 SS ('98-'02) and Firehawks ('99-'02), but not on WS6s. I'm not sure if SLP offered any optional upgrades on the '96-'97 WS6s when they were doing those.

Since SLP and ASC are (were) sub-contracted by GM for touching these cars, they are still considered "from the factory" and "in-house" (even though all the cars literally left the factory and was transported to SLP/ASC for the "upgrades"). Also, not ALL of the SS/WS6 "upgrades" were installed by SLP or ASC. For the LS1 cars, I believe the only thing ASC did was swap the hood and lower airbox and installed the badge on WS6s. Same thing for the SSs at SLP unless the customer ordered some of those other "SLP options". Therefore, non-SLP-optioned SS and WS6 cars went to SLP and ASC w/ their upgraded (over non-SS/WS6) suspension, exhaust and wheels already installed by GM's St. Therese plant. All that was left for SLP/ASC to do was to swap hoods, lower airbox (for WS6s) and slap on a badge.
    aha, so they were subcontracting, good literature find

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    camaro's are better, lol

j/k guys
    u froggy come here ...

Black
    99 SS

ill be a TA owner also and camaro owner before the weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    ill be a TA owner also and camaro owner before the weekend
    welcome to the club!

black

as i said eariler in this thread, T/As = riced out Formulas

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    i fucked up, i meant to say a formula, trans am and Z/28 also had the LS6 intake in the 01-02 model years.
    taking 3 vicodins today has clouded my posting, lol.
    yea i was thinkng that is uncharacteristically dead wrong post by you.

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    as i said eariler in this thread, T/As = riced out Formulas
    hhahah

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information