Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

Formula just dies.............

O.K. I'll be as detailed as I can here. My buddies 96 A4 Formula just quits for no reason. I have installed a new opti(ebay) and plugs,wires and opti harness. It runs awesome. However, a few months ago the car stalled and died for no reason. Oh, the coil and module are new too. (sorry) Anyway, the car has a remote start and that is how he primarily starts it. One day though, after he started it the key wouldn't turn to allow for the column to be unlocked and turn the wheel to drive away. He got the ignition fixed and it now starts with the key. One day I went over to his house b/c it wouldn't start. Just turned over. I looked into the VATS to see if that is the issue. He got the value of the key and I made a resistor for it. Well, I get under the dash and to my surprised the 2 white wires coming from the key are unhooked and the other side of the plug already has a resistor installed. Now I think it's there as a result of the alarm system install (not sure, just a hunch). Well, I cut it out and plugged my resistor in, now it will not even crank,NOTHING. Now I REALLY think the alarm is the culprit. So I put the wires back together like GM intended and it fires to life!!!!!!!!!!!!! But now the alarm/remote start is INOP. WHAT IS THE DEAL?? His mechanic said it's the opti, I ain't so sure. It will just konk out for no reason. Sometimes it restarts and other times not. So, I ask, could it be the IAS motor or the TPS sensor. Fuel pressure is low too, both my 95 roadmaster and his car showed 33psi idling. Book says 41-47psi is normal. My car runs awesome. It will break loose at 25mph if you nail it. (motor built a bit). So I don't think his pump is the culprit. PSI will rise with driving but I can't check it obviously. So is the alarm the bad guy or what?? The module we got checked multiple times till it got REAL hot. To be sure and it passed each time. So after all that the car runs really strong, no stumbles or hesitation, miss fires, backfires, pops, coughs or hiccups. It will just be going along la-dee-da and POOF! Die like a dog!! Help me please.

black
    2002 WS6

First thing, remove the remote start system, they can be natorious for creating all sorts of issues when not installed right.

Other thing to do would be to replace the fuel filter if it has never been done before.

If it was the opti it wouldn;t run at all or run like crap. I think you are on the right track with the alarm remote start being the issue. Go through the wiring looking for those stupid blue clamp style butt slice things, they are nothing but trouble. If he is bound and determined to use the remote start, wire it all with soldered joints and heat shrink tubing, then re install the resistor. IF you have the old one still match the bands of that one with the new one.

Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

O.K. The alarm / remote was installed by a local shop. Audio Express here in town. It's not a hack job. I spoke to his mechanic today and he said when hooked it to the computer he wasn't getting any rpm reading as he cranked it. He seems to think it IS the opti. Since that will measure engine rpm I guess. Well, I get the keys to take it home since he wanted $230.00 to install the old opti and I said that's too much. I'd do it for half. And I DID put the last one on so....At any rate, I got in it and it cranked and cranked. Nothing, never started at all. Just spun over so I left it. Now tomorrow it may fire right up. Who knows. I STILL think it's the alarm. And yes the fuel filter was changed by dude for like $30.

Thread Information