Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

former Mustang owner looking for 99-02 ws6,SS

I just sold my 03 Mach 1. I usually need something new every couple years, so I'm now looking at the Ws6's and Camaro SS's. I am leaning towards the ws6's because I think they look better. I'm going for a 6 speed. I'm a relatively small guy (5,10) but the Mach felt very cramed inside while driving, how are the fbodies in these years? Any years better than others? Anything to look for when buying one? Thanks

Edit: I found a 00 WS6 with Borla Exhaust, Mass airflow sensor, and Computer chip with 37k miles for $14k. I got them down to $12k.
    Last edited by stang1101; 07-22-2009 at 08:34 AM.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

I would assume by 'computer chip', they mean flash tuned....I would hope. As far as the rest of the car, if it's in good shape, take it for 12k, that's very good for as little miles that are on it. And the Borla setup sounds sexy If it does have some kind of chip set, take that sh!t off and go get a real tune. Then have fun, there are quite a few routes you can take with these cars to get the speed you want, N/A, FI, Spray, FI and Spray

I'm 6'2" and 175lbs, my SS fits me like a glove. The seats on the WS6 are even a little better than Camaros, so win/win. The only part I have heard people complain about is getting in and out, but I do it just fine

Black
    1999 WS6

Funny, I was actually considering the Mach 1 before I bought my WS6. Here are some things about the interior on these cars. The dashbord is very long, you probably noticed this when you saw the car. It is not nearly as small as the Mustang interior thats for sure, you will have a lot more room so thats a plus. Another thing is as mentioned above, the seats are better on the WS6 then the SS.

Try and get a non molested one if you can. I live in Canada and went down to Milwaukee, WI where I found exactly what i was looking for. 16K original miles, stock as a rock and owned by an adult. Just like Mustangs, these things get ragged on a lot and it's getting harder and harder to find a clean example. I found out from a previous F body owner that if you look closely at the quarter panels, you will be able to see small dimples almost like dents in the sheetmetal(torque dimples they call them) Mine didn't come with any but this is something that I would look for.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by stang1101 View Post
    I just sold my 03 Mach 1. I usually need something new every couple years, so I'm now looking at the Ws6's and Camaro SS's. I am leaning towards the ws6's because I think they look better. I'm going for a 6 speed. I'm a relatively small guy (5,10) but the Mach felt very cramed inside while driving, how are the fbodies in these years? Any years better than others? Anything to look for when buying one? Thanks

Edit: I found a 00 WS6 with Borla Exhaust, Mass airflow sensor, and Computer chip with 37k miles for $14k. I got them down to $12k.
    I think the 01-02 WS6's are the best, for a list of reasons, but anything 98 and up you sitting good. I'm 6'0'' and have to have my leg fully extended when depressing the clutch to avoid knee aches in traffic. The power seats adjust in many ways, you should be alright.

As for the car you found, sounds like a sweet deal provided its in good shape. I payed 17k for mine 3 years ago. Bone stock and in mint condish, worth every penny.

Red
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by StrikerWS6 View Post
    Funny, I was actually considering the Mach 1 before I bought my WS6. Here are some things about the interior on these cars. The dashbord is very long, you probably noticed this when you saw the car. It is not nearly as small as the Mustang interior thats for sure, you will have a lot more room so thats a plus. Another thing is as mentioned above, the seats are better on the WS6 then the SS.

Try and get a non molested one if you can. I live in Canada and went down to Milwaukee, WI where I found exactly what i was looking for. 16K original miles, stock as a rock and owned by an adult. Just like Mustangs, these things get ragged on a lot and it's getting harder and harder to find a clean example. I found out from a previous F body owner that if you look closely at the quarter panels, you will be able to see small dimples almost like dents in the sheetmetal(torque dimples they call them) Mine didn't come with any but this is something that I would look for.
    +1 on all the above

and yes, the quarter panel "dimples" are usually from "abuse"

when I bought my car, there weren't any of these dimples, but after about a year I have plenty of them...I don't consider myself "ragging" on the car, but I do have fun with it!

first mod to prevent this and to stiffen up the entire car are sub-frame connectors

good luck with the hunt!

so where exactly are these "dimples", any pics? I'm hoping to go look at this one this weekend, i'll let you guys know how it goes. I might take it to a mechanic to have them look it over. All my buddys keep saying the interior's are crap on these, so I will have to see. I'm afraid i'm gonna lose most of my Mustang buddys

Black
    1999 WS6

so where exactly are these "dimples", any pics? I'm hoping to go look at this one this weekend, i'll let you guys know how it goes. I might take it to a mechanic to have them look it over. All my buddys keep saying the interior's are crap on these, so I will have to see. I'm afraid i'm gonna lose most of my Mustang buddys
    LMFAO! Interiors are crap on these?!? Have you really LOOKED at the interior on your mach 1 besides the pretty lil silver accents if it came equiped with the "interior upgrade package"? I sat in a buddies Vert, 2002 GT and everything from the AC vents, the door panels, and the entire dash creaked and groaned and was very loose. The dash on the T/A is pretty plush and even the door panels have a lil bit of leather/vinyl on them. Trust me, I almost bought a Mach 1 and thought about the Cobra too, but thats one thing they both do terribly at.

As far as tq dimples, your gonna have to look at the car from an angle. Dont stare directly over the top of the quarter panels but rather from the side and you should be able to spot them considering there are any. Just take your time and let us know.

Red
    1999 Camaro SS

Mine are mostly at the top of the panel, where it meets the hatch. They are somewhat easy to see in certain light, I can try and get pics.

The interiors aren't crap by any means, but they do kinda look boring by today's standards. Never had a problem with poor quality interior materials with my SS.

As for losing your Mustang buddies lol, if they are actual car guys they will appreciate the F-body for what it is. I respect Mustangs and the heritage that goes with it, just like our cars...it's usually the owners that make the difference.

Any pics of your old Mach? If I were to buy a Mustang, it would most definitely have to be the Mach 1, very badass cars IMO

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Sounds like they're not to good of friends anyway if you're losing them to a change in cars.....that's like equal to losing a friend because you decided you like Pepsi, and he is a freak about Coke....except on a bigger cost factor...either way, it sounds stupid to me. You can get lots of new friends on here, even if you change back to a Mustang later...we have a few of those guys roaming about on the forum. We give them crap, but they are still more than welcome here....even 310stanger

@Poppn pics would be much apreciated.

Here are some pics of the Mach:

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by StrikerWS6 View Post
    LMFAO! Interiors are crap on these?!? Have you really LOOKED at the interior on your mach 1 besides the pretty lil silver accents if it came equiped with the "interior upgrade package"? I sat in a buddies Vert, 2002 GT and everything from the AC vents, the door panels, and the entire dash creaked and groaned and was very loose. The dash on the T/A is pretty plush and even the door panels have a lil bit of leather/vinyl on them. Trust me, I almost bought a Mach 1 and thought about the Cobra too, but thats one thing they both do terribly at.
    Woah calm down buddy the t/a and camaro dont exactly have that wow factor in there interiors.

Black
    99 WS6

man I love my WS6 but that mach 1 is pretty sweet. The Mach 1 is my favorite n/a mustang...it would be hard to give it up

Red
    1999 Camaro SS

@Poppn pics would be much apreciated.

Here are some pics of the Mach:
    Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size
    amazing mach 1! and if that is your garage, NICE!

Pewter
    2001 formula

heres were you would find the "torque ripples" you can bearly se em on mine hard to get a pic of it

thanks for the pic.

I talked to the owner, the only thing wrong is that the passenger window motor does not work. They said they have the motor, it just needs to be installed. Do you guys no how much that runs to do it?

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

I knew I have seen this car before somewhere else today

(OKGMP)

Wait...no, nevermind, it's the other guy...oops...
    Last edited by Y2KArcticSS; 07-22-2009 at 01:33 PM.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

You can do the window motor yourself. I don't anyone on here uses a mechanic-greedy bastards

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    You can do the window motor yourself. I don't anyone on here uses a mechanic-greedy bastards
    oo ok. My friend said its a PITA to put in, I didn't know.

Red
    1999 Camaro SS

window motor isn't too hard, there is a simple writeup floating around with pictures and everything

NBM
    2001 CAMARO

I have an o1 for sale $9,500.00 66k miles loaded, tons of extras.

Thread Information