Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Fogs with no heads on

This is a discussion on Fogs with no heads on within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Schmalgar Ya ya agreed, I think these have one of the better looking running/fog light visuals... And ...

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    Ya ya agreed, I think these have one of the better looking running/fog light visuals...

And I also back the guys that are saing this is an issue with the busted headlamp motor/gear. I had that issue on a 98 TA as well, when the motor went bad it tried to pop up at the wrong time. Dunno really how a bad motor or gear would make it fire at the wrong setting of the dial, but it does.

The headlight pops up with the stripped gears bc of the way it works. They stop turning the pop up motor when it senses a high amp draw, then the circuit shuts off. When the gear strips, there is no high amp draw as there is when the ger hits the stop, the motor keeps turning, and the circuit remembers this. It is a default setting so at least when the gear does strip, the headlights will still come up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    hell ya they do. I have HID fogs and they look sick riding down the road with just them on. I love them. My passanger amber light is out when i have nothing on but when i flip it 1/2 for the fogs it comes on.. its weird i need a new harness
    Most likely you don't need a harness, it is a dual filament bulb. Does the turn signal flash on that RF the same intensity as the LF? An easy check is to put on the hazards and look at them. Sounds to me like you have a bad light/socket.

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    X100!!

i LOVE the look of my Formula with the DRL's/Fogs on. I actually think it looks better than the T/A, even though the TA's have huge fogs. I just like how the fogs on the Formula are pushed way out to the edge of the bumper. Makes the car look wider or something.

As soon as it starts to hit dusk I turn my Fogs on, and I wait till the last possible minute before turning the headlights on. I think these cars look goofy as hell with the headlights up, lol.
    Nah, they are still cool no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    They're also much more functional on the Formula since the real point of fog lamps is to provide extra illumination down on the road edge and centerlines in the fog. The TA center placement looks cool but doesn't put as much light on the edges...
    True, but we really don't have much fog in the states, compared to Europe. These lights are mostly for style, and I think they nailed it on Trans Ams!

The few times I've been in thick fog, tho, they have helped. I won't soon forget the stress of driving I-65 South to New Orleans, the first hour was all fog. Try driving like that at 50 MPH, can't see anything but have to trust the taillights 3-4 car lengths ahead of you that you barely see!

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    The headlight pops up with the stripped gears bc of the way it works. They stop turning the pop up motor when it senses a high amp draw, then the circuit shuts off. When the gear strips, there is no high amp draw as there is when the ger hits the stop, the motor keeps turning, and the circuit remembers this. It is a default setting so at least when the gear does strip, the headlights will still come up.
    Aha, thanks for that info. I always thought it was a mechanical sensing setup, didn't realize it was based off amperage. I guess I shoulda known that, given how many other things are controlled by sensing amperage. Hey that's my new car fact for today!

These lights are mostly for style, and I think they nailed it on Trans Ams!
    Oh yeah completely agree!

The few times I've been in thick fog, tho, they have helped. I won't soon forget the stress of driving I-65 South to New Orleans, the first hour was all fog. Try driving like that at 50 MPH, can't see anything but have to trust the taillights 3-4 car lengths ahead of you that you barely see!
    Now that you mention it, the worst fog I've ever driven through was in Louisiana as well.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^It was early morning here in IN when I drove thru that fog....we were on our way to NO for Thanksgiving, my brother and his family live there.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Huh, that's funny. I always thought the TA fogs were bigger. It's true what they say, you learn something new every day.

Red
    2002 Trans Am WS-6

When the vaccum motor on the lighta is goin bad theyll pop up with the park lights and then when u lock the car and it flashes the lights. Then the motor wqill start knoickin real bad. When was the last time you replaced your motor?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by peteyp22 View Post
    When the vaccum motor on the lighta is goin bad theyll pop up with the park lights and then when u lock the car and it flashes the lights. Then the motor wqill start knoickin real bad. When was the last time you replaced your motor?
    The actual problem is that the big gear that strips. These are powered by electric motors, not a vacuum system. The knocking is the motor turning the worm screw on the stripped driven screw.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information