Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Talking flowmaster vs magnaflow?

im not sure where to post this but i have slp headers, random tech hi flo cat and the ws6 intake on my t/a ws6, and flowmaster catbacks
    i was told that flowmaster sounds nice (it does) but "chokes the shit out of the ls1 at the high end"
    any truth to this? maybe some ideas and if this is true how much would it cost maybe i can just buy a magnaflow muffler and swap it out without having to get a whole new catback?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I wouldn't say it 'chokes the shit' outta it.
    But the Magnaflow will perform a bit better. You won't be able to feel the difference though.

That said, I firmly believe the Magnaflow is the best sounding for the LSx motors.

2002 Z28

Had magnaflow on my 99 WS6 had was super pleased with it, plus flowmasters are only good for mustangs.

White
    1998 Trans Am

If you like the sound leave it alone the minor difference won't be anything you'll feel so it's like throwing money away. I have flowmasters on my 93 5.0 and love them but when I had it on my Trans Am it sounded good, but after taking out the cats and doing the Lt's and ORY it sounded way too raspy but tried a few mufflers and honestly I never noticed any power difference just sound.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Magnaflow,,, I have flowmaster on mine. It came on the car. Sounds ok. But I hate it cuz it sounds like a mustang.
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    Magnaflow,,, I have flowmaster on mine. It came on the car. Sounds ok. But I hate it cuz it sounds like a mustang.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

I've tried both, but then again I'm running a bassani clone True dual set up. My first set up was with a flowmaster super 40 muffler and it sounded like a fire breathing dragon, but cruising at interstate speeds the drone was too much. I ran 13.1 with it at the track. Then I switched to a similar straight through magnaflow muffler that had a 4in longer case and it quieted the car down I wouldn't say drastically at highway speeds, but noticeable to the point i can actually listen to my music without cranking the monsoon to max vol. On the track it picked up 0.1 sec to a time of 13.0 with similar weather conditions 24 hrs later. when you wamp the throttle it still sounds like a race car with the LT's.

Personally I prefer the Magnaflow and won't go back to the Flowmaster. It was mildly amusing to set 3-4 car alarms off in the parking structure at school, but that did not out weigh the abuse it placed on my ears at cruising speeds. Even with the Magnaflow I still set a car alarm or two if I run it in first the whole way, so because campus PD is HQ'd right under the structure I run it in 2nd.

As far as a difference in the feel of the car? No Difference. I only noticed it picked up because the time slip said so.
    Last edited by AKA Speedy; 02-04-2011 at 09:58 AM. Reason: I'm Brian, not a Bassani Clone TD set up (left out some words)

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    What is that mean?? Lol

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Rustmaster, uhum, I mean Flowmasters = High Rasp

Magnaflow = More of a Rumble and better flow over Flowmasters, and don't rust

I have heard the 40 series and 80 series and they are both alot louder and better sounding than the magnaflow. However I would do magnaflow with LT's and a cut out. Tame when you want and insane when you want

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I think Flowmaster sounds good on LT1s and Mustangs but weak on LS1s. Yes I had one.

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I think Flowmaster sounds good on LT1s and Mustangs but weak on LS1s. Yes I had one.
    Both sound weak on a stockish car. The only catback that sounds great on a stock ls1 is the loudmouth/

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    Both sound weak on a stockish car. The only catback that sounds great on a stock ls1 is the loudmouth/
    I agree. Do it right

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

The flowmaster 80 i had is my favorite sounding exhaust to this day.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Very happy with the Magnaflow. Only way to explain it is that the car sounds like it should.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Very happy with the Magnaflow. Only way to explain it is that the car sounds like it should.

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    The flowmaster 80 i had is my favorite sounding exhaust to this day.
    I thought I was alone on this. Nice and quite around town, mean under normal driving, and pretty loud wot.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

I did the 80's on my car too... the super 40 2in/out sounded the same as the 80's, but immensly louder inside and out of the car. here is the vid:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrFzVs-hogQ[/ame]

I never did a video of the 40, or my current set up with the magnaflow. I guess I could get one of the magnaflow tomorrow.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH.WS6 View Post
    I've tried both, but then again I'm running a bassani clone True dual set up. My first set up was with a flowmaster super 40 muffler and it sounded like a fire breathing dragon, but cruising at interstate speeds the drone was too much. I ran 13.1 with it at the track. Then I switched to a similar straight through magnaflow muffler that had a 4in longer case and it quieted the car down I wouldn't say drastically at highway speeds, but noticeable to the point i can actually listen to my music without cranking the monsoon to max vol. On the track it picked up 0.1 sec to a time of 13.0 with similar weather conditions 24 hrs later. when you wamp the throttle it still sounds like a race car with the LT's.

Personally I prefer the Magnaflow and won't go back to the Flowmaster. It was mildly amusing to set 3-4 car alarms off in the parking structure at school, but that did not out weigh the abuse it placed on my ears at cruising speeds. Even with the Magnaflow I still set a car alarm or two if I run it in first the whole way, so because campus PD is HQ'd right under the structure I run it in 2nd.

As far as a difference in the feel of the car? No Difference. I only noticed it picked up because the time slip said so.
    That's fun. I used to have a loud as hell muffler before I bought my Hooker Aeroflow. The parking lot guy would jump when I started Too Fast! Used to think the Hooker was too quiet, but a drive behind my car convinced me otherwise. And 0 droan on the highway, only somewhat louder than stock even with my LTs/ORY.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Ls1sounds.com. I have magnaflow and love it,quiet on the highway and loud at wot
    Posted via Mobile Device

Thread Information