Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

Fix spun rod bearing

So i posted several months ago about how i had spun a bearing. A local shop and the local chevy dealership ($100 later) agree that the noise is from the bottom and likely a spun bearing. The dealer gave me a quote to replace many of the parts in the bottom (rods, bearings, and crank) for $4400 back in September.

Fast forward to now, with my tax refund in hand, the wife has agreed we can afford to fix the bird rather than sell. It has been parked since last March, si I'm pretty eager! How much do y'all think is reasonable and what should ask when checking with local shops?

Not looking to upgrade, just sorta refresh. The car will be a weekend fun car.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

You could call around to some local junkyards and try to find a used LS1 for around $1500 to $2500 and swap it in.
    How many miles on your current engine?

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    You could call around to some local junkyards and try to find a used LS1 for around $1500 to $2500 and swap it in.
    How many miles on your current engine?
    Car has a little over 72000 miles on it. I'd hate to swap it out like for like and I haven't had much luck in finding an LS1 for less than $3000. If I replace it, I was thinking of going with an LS6, but am hoping fixing would be cheaper.

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

It all depends on the extent of the damage. The problem is, if you aren't doing the work, once it's apart the garage "owns" it.You will be forced into one of a few options:
    1) Pay them for the repair, however much that may cost.
    2) Have them pack up all of the parts and tow it to your house. You will pay for the work performed, and the tow.
    3) Pay storage while waiting to find a replacement motor.

Is there any possible way for you to pull the motor yourself?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

You spun a bearing.. The engine will be full of metal.. New crank/rods and bearings are the least of your worries.

I would also be suspect of ANY shop that says they can just repair it.. Not likely to last long if they do..

Your motor is junk IMHO..
    Last edited by Smittro; 03-02-2011 at 06:48 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

Ls6 for 3600!!

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by MrKid View Post
    It all depends on the extent of the damage. The problem is, if you aren't doing the work, once it's apart the garage "owns" it.You will be forced into one of a few options:
    1) Pay them for the repair, however much that may cost.
    2) Have them pack up all of the parts and tow it to your house. You will pay for the work performed, and the tow.
    3) Pay storage while waiting to find a replacement motor.

Is there any possible way for you to pull the motor yourself?
    Not confident in my abilities or resources to pull the motor. I've done basic maintenance, fluid changes, replace bolt on stuff, etc, but nothing as big as pulling the motor. Pulling the motor out the bottom seems to be the preferred method and to be honest, without a lift, not sure I trust some of the rigged methods I have seen online. Oh, and I have no doubt I get it out, it's back in that really scares me!

Was hoping to keep the car numbers matching. If I had to replace it, what would a shop charge to put in the LS6? I know on EBay a reman LS6 can be had $3500, so the question is labor.

Hmmm, spun bearing means trash in the engine. Not a simple "replace bearing" type of deal.

Generally, if it's a rod bearing, that rod will have to be resized. You can't resize these snap cap rods so that poses a major issue. I really hope the shop just didn't plan on sticking a new bearing in that spun rod.

If it's a main, most instances you'll have to align hone the main saddle. Either way, that engine will have to come out, be completely torn down and flushed/cleaned. Otherwise I wouldn't trust the repair. That crap is likely all up in the cylinder heads and every other oil passage there is in an LS1. Not good.

Honestly, if you planned to drop $4400 for what sounds like a quicky repair,,,,I'd just spend the $34-3600 for a new LS6 crate motor and be done with it. The motor has to come out anyway, and you'll get a factory backed warranty.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

Ok, you guys are convincing me. What should I expect the cost of a shop doing the swap for me to be? My understanding is it isn't difficult to swap in the LS6.

It's not difficult, it's a direct swap for you. Since you have a 2001, you already have the LS6 intake, the LS6 28 lbs. injectors etc...it all plugs in and runs.
    The only thing you should change after the swap, is a good tune. And that can be handled via mail order from Frost here on the site.

Labor?? I don't know what the going shop rates are in your area so it would only be a guess on my part. It would be something you would have to check around on.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

Grab your buddies, buy em lunch And do it

Thread Information