Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Arctic White
    2001 Pontiac Firehawk

First time at the track

I went to the track this weekend for the first time running my car. i noticed a noise at just over 5500 rpm that sounded like little pieces of gravel bouncing off the bottom of my trans area. The car drives fine since, however i havent reved it that high since. The noise wasnt that loud but im not sure what it could be, any help or input? its an 01 m6 stock.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I was thinking about that... Do you have the short throw shifter ? I remember that being loud ( tinny ) sounding in my 02 Z06 at higher rpm's.. I think it was vibrating on the stop bolt.

Arctic White
    2001 Pontiac Firehawk

it has the factory hurst shifter. if it was a valve issue would you hear it through the firewall or the tunnel? im heading back to the track this weekend, im gonna remove the preditor tune and see what happens.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Try to have good fuel for the weekend too ! I hope to be there also.

Arctic White
    2001 Pontiac Firehawk

oh yeah did you run her after i left? How'd she do?

Arctic White
    2001 Pontiac Firehawk

i was running a fresh tank of Chevron 93 at the time

White
    1998 Trans Am

I loaded mine up & took it home... MAF went south... Trying a SD tune now.

Arctic White
    2001 Pontiac Firehawk

went back to the factory tune and still have noise at high rpm. gonna do a trans flush and check for metal shavings. anything else i can check?
    2001 Formula Firehawk #489 M6
    Lid - Bellow - PP TB - BBK LT's - ORY - Magnaflow Catback - UMI Body Mounted Torque Arm - Spohn Adj. LCA's - Dale Jr Killer Wheels

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am Ws6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk489 View Post
    it has the factory hurst shifter. if it was a valve issue would you hear it through the firewall or the tunnel? im heading back to the track this weekend, im gonna remove the preditor tune and see what happens.
    same here , factory hurst shifter with ws6 store short stick, sometimes at WOT past 5500 rpms the shifter makes that sound like theres a loose bolt or something , half the time not always

Arctic White
    2001 Pontiac Firehawk

[QUOTE=sometimes at WOT past 5500 rpms the shifter makes that sound like theres a loose bolt or something , half the time not always[/QUOTE]

is it still there when your hand is on the stick? or is it just when its off? bills98ta mentioned something like that too. haven tried yet but gonna look into that. might be a day or two though cause i threw out my back ths morning, no banging gears like this!
    Last edited by WhiteHawk489; 04-19-2010 at 05:16 AM. Reason: cant spell for sh!t

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am Ws6 M6

is it still there when your hand is on the stick? or is it just when its off? bills98ta mentioned something like that too. haven tried yet but gonna look into that. might be a day or two though cause i threw out my back ths morning, no banging gears like this!
    only happens half the time at WOT past 5500 rpms. nothings loose on the shifter , i installed it perfectly......

do you have headers ??
    i read that the tube that connects from the headers to the plastic air hose has two gaskets in between them and when the gaskets crack or are damaged theres sometimes a loud ticking noise at WOT. .... i think thats whats going on with mine cause i did remove that pipe when i changed my plugs and wires in order to make room for the swap ......

i read it on an article on install university . heres an insert from the article:

Trouble Shooting: After this plug install if you hear a loud ticking sound when the engine is under load then you should check your gaskets between the AIR pipe and exhaust manifold.There is a metal gasket in between the AIR pipe and exhaust manifold. Be very careful not to damage this gasket. If it is broken or missing a piece you will get a loud ticking sound when the engine is under load. The part number for a replacement gasket is 12553617.

Arctic White
    2001 Pontiac Firehawk

no, no headers yet. i hope its just a shifter issue(vibration). the shifts feel nice and crisp, the clutch feels good, its got to be something stupid. i have a feeling when i drain the trans it will be clean(which im doing this week). when that happens im going back to the track and running balls out. dont get me wrong i dont want to break anything but if something does break at least ill know what was wrong. also i know a Firehawk can run better than a 14.01 @ 101, even with me driving!

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am Ws6 M6

no, no headers yet. i hope its just a shifter issue(vibration). the shifts feel nice and crisp, the clutch feels good, its got to be something stupid. i have a feeling when i drain the trans it will be clean(which im doing this week). when that happens im going back to the track and running balls out. dont get me wrong i dont want to break anything but if something does break at least ill know what was wrong. also i know a Firehawk can run better than a 14.01 @ 101, even with me driving!
    yea i did a fluid change not too long ago. .. use redline synthetics IMO.....
    but definitely , on street tires you should be running at least 13.2- 13.5 stock easily. and to run at 14.01 , you definitely were not going balls out ... let me know how it goes
    Last edited by FirehawkM6; 04-19-2010 at 04:43 PM.

Arctic White
    2001 Pontiac Firehawk

oh yeah?! Recommended fluid? Mobile 1 synthetic atf?

Arctic White
    2001 Pontiac Firehawk

yeah i was shifting at about 4900 - 5200. the noise scared me, its my dd!
    what is the true redline?
    Last edited by WhiteHawk489; 04-19-2010 at 04:41 PM. Reason: redline Q

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am Ws6 M6

yeah i was shifting at about 4900 - 5200. the noise scared me, its my dd!
    what is the true redline?
    yea this is my DD i put about 40 miles on her daily
    im getting a gas saver next month
    and drivin this baby on the weekends/ hot dates

but uh redline is about 6200 rpms... and once you get past that 5500 rpm mark you feel its true power . ..

definately get that noise checked out ...

Arctic White
    2001 Pontiac Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by FirehawkM6 View Post
    yea this is my DD i put about 40 miles on her daily
    unfortunatly mon thru thurs im putting 80 daily because of the fact that im going to a trade school. i bugs me but its all highway and i plan on dying with the car!

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am Ws6 M6

unfortunatly mon thru thurs im putting 80 daily because of the fact that im going to a trade school. i bugs me but its all highway and i plan on dying with the car!
    same here !
    i plan to never sell mine , and hope to buy another one in the future ........ and your car looks great, i just saw it on your page

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have a A4 but had alot of noise above 5400 rpm it was the fuel pump dieing. At first I though it was coming from the trans but when we tried to tune it we niticed it ran lean up top and couldn't get the a/f ratio right till the new pump went in and good tune and no more niose. My MAF went south on me already.Replaced it with a graneelli and it's been ok.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Arctic White
    2001 Pontiac Firehawk

is there any easy (cheap) way of testing to see if a fuel pump is going bad like checking amperage or something?

Thread Information