Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

First 1/4 mile

This is a discussion on First 1/4 mile within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Knight Don't drop the clutch would be my first bit of advice. Feather the clutch out and ...

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Don't drop the clutch would be my first bit of advice. Feather the clutch out and then hammer the throttle. It takes practice to get it right, but when done properly you pull a much better 60' time. Dropping the clutch will either result in wheel spin, the car bogging, or if you have a stock rear and your tires grip - you detonate the carrier and other rear end components - only a matter of time, ask me how I know. But you're right, it just takes a lot of practice. Once you log some more time at the track, you'll be dropping your times quick. What track did you go to? And what are your mods?
    Thanks for the advice, I cant seem to keep my car from bogging at the line. Im afraid to take it past 3500 rpms. With the bogging and 2.03 60ft I still ran a 13.27 so Im sure that will improve with more practice
    2002 Camaro SS/M6. Volant CAI, 80mm TB w/spacer, cat delete w/ ory, borla XR-1 w/ cme, custom tune, 3.73's, 8,000k HID headlights and foglights, 19" staggered ruff 278 wheels.

Black
    2000 T/A WS6

also as i was coming back it the return lane i realised i left my defrost on which runs the a/c = hp loss

Black
    2001 WS6

i havent taken my car to the track yet, in fact ive never run at the track period, just watched. But the part in your story about almost wiping out makes me nervous about running my car at the track. Im too afraid of shifting into second and kissing the wall. I tried practicing launching the other day, dropped it at 2500 rpms, and just sat there n spun.

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Ramairgod84 View Post
    i havent taken my car to the track yet, in fact ive never run at the track period, just watched. But the part in your story about almost wiping out makes me nervous about running my car at the track. Im too afraid of shifting into second and kissing the wall. I tried practicing launching the other day, dropped it at 2500 rpms, and just sat there n spun.
    If your at a well maintained and lighted track you should'nt have any issues. Trust me it's alot safer than on the street. Dropping at 2500 on the street is a completly different story than the track. I think once you find a nice track you will get hooked like the rest of us

Black
    2000 T/A WS6

yeah i think so i've already been looking online to find one. my wife recorded me and the view is from the ground so you can't see much but you can hear the crowd gasp when i slid sideways. there could have been something on the track to oil, antifreeze i don't know I'll see if i can get the vid on photo bucket

Black
    2000 T/A WS6

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxD13MF-EeM[/ame]
    its hard to tell from the vid but it was a pretty good slide and i just shut it down after that
    Last edited by duweller; 06-26-2010 at 08:50 AM.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Here's a good sticky on drag racing - good tips -

Drag Racing 101

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by duweller View Post
    also as i was coming back it the return lane i realised i left my defrost on which runs the a/c = hp loss
    When you're at full thottle, the compressor is off anyway, the PCM won't let it come on. So, no loss when going down the drag strip anyway!

Black
    2000 T/A WS6

good to know

Pewter Metallic
    '02 WS6 M6 - The Reaper

hey at least there's a track to race on! none around here without a decent drive...

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

1 tip: Practice, practice, practice...

White
    1998 Trans Am

Gotta pick up a helmet and just had to get a new gas cap since my GM one I bought 6 months ago leaks so this time I got a cheap one. That cheap AZ one on my 5.0 is 6yrs old my expensive GM one lasted 6 months one that came with the car 10yrs. Looking forward to hopefully a not too humid day it Houston so it's always hot. Long as the BFG NT's grab should get a descent run. Shooting for high 12's. Want a baseline b4 the cam and stall.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information