Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

firebird vs. trans-am... 3.8 vs. 5.7?

This is a discussion on firebird vs. trans-am... 3.8 vs. 5.7? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by tigersport14 ls1 ftw!! trust me you will LOVE it. but if your driving down the road in ...

Awaiting Activation

black
    98 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by tigersport14 View Post
    ls1 ftw!! trust me you will LOVE it. but if your driving down the road in a v6, you may look cool, but you will always have the bad feeling in the gut of your stomache knowing your driving a slow pussy car.
    everytime i see a v6 f-body i say what's the use. and they sound horrible with exhaust, why would any self respecting man want one they are only good imo for parts. and should not be modded.

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by ls1ya View Post
    they are only good imo for parts. and should not be modded.
    true true. i still have my v6(doesnt run). both my v6 and z are NBM. some stupid bitch w/out insurance rear ended me and pushed me into the trailor hitch on a suv a couple months ago and fucked up both my front/back bumper and hood. i just swapped out the parts from my v6. i kinda lucked out that both camaro's are NBM.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am #693

I personally don't know what any of yous are really talking about. You mod a V6 F-Body and that b*tch goes, I've seen it for my own eyes. ...but yes, so does the gas mileage with the mods. To call a fellow F-Body member a "poser" just seems moronic to me. Reguardless if the car has a V6 or V8, I personally am not one to judge. But whatever. Like most of you have already said, get the V8 when you find a deal again. (I'm not going to say get a manual, my auto does just fine on gas mileage as a daily driver, unfortunately. But to be fair, I did look for a manual first...just couldn't find any with low miles at the time.)

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

^ i wouldnt say its poser either, unless you had a ram air hood. but it takes a hell of a lot of $$$ to make it as fast and reliable as the v8 stock is. it would be much cheaper to just get the v8. and only teenage girls get the v6.

Quote Originally Posted by knightryda01 View Post
    I am the type of person who is very competitive and I know I would be no where the fastest out there with a v-8 but at the same time I don't want a cobalt blowing my doors off eitherin a v-6.
    my 98 is rated about the same quarter mile as any ferrari made that year. it would be a driver's race. trust me, you will be the fastest car out there. the odds of someone in a new corvette or 911 s being next to you AND wanting to race is very, very small. and even the new chargers and mustangs arent as fast stock vs stock.

Quote Originally Posted by knightryda01 View Post
    I think I would get the same thrill out of both. Driving down the road with the tops off but the competitve side of me wants the power and sound and the economical side of me wants the gas millage and all the savings that come with it.... Help
    like they said there isn't a big difference if you get the manual v8 like i did. my girlfriend lives 74 miles away and driving there uses a little under a quarter of a tank, and thats with me flooring it whenever merging into the 4 highways i merge into and going over 80 mph.

also, these days imports aren't any better, sometimes worse, in gas mileage (in the sporty ones). take the new civic. the si is rated at 29mpg. a m6 t/a is rated at 28. its also 20 city, whiles ours is 18 or 19 (i forget). so that car has an engine a third of the size with MUCH less power and doesn't really even make enough better gas mileage to put much back in your wallet.

because of the demand for power, small engines these days have to be tuned aggressively and this gives them often worse gas mileage than our cars. the 2.4L solstice with 173 horsepower gets 24/25 mpg highway, and a sad 19 in city. im still not sure how they were able to get such sad numbers.

red/black
    02 WS6/96 VR4/07 ZX10R

Be patient. Buy the V8!! w/the M6!!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I'm with everyone else here, go for the V8. If you buy a 6, you'll be kicking yourself down the road from now for not just getting the engine that the car was designed to come with.

Not only do you get the LS1 engine by getting a T/A or Z28, but you also get the better suspension, T56 transmission (much better than the T5), much nicer wheels, more options, and about the same fuel economy.

Now don't get me wrong about the 3800 Series II, its an excellent motor, one of the best ever made, but it just doesn't belong in a car like the F-body when you could get an LS motor instead.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Psychosis View Post
    ^also, these days imports aren't any better, sometimes worse, in gas mileage (in the sporty ones). take the new civic. the si is rated at 29mpg. a m6 t/a is rated at 28. its also 20 city, whiles ours is 18 or 19 (i forget). so that car has an engine a third of the size with MUCH less power and doesn't really even make enough better gas mileage to put much back in your wallet.

because of the demand for power, small engines these days have to be tuned aggressively and this gives them often worse gas mileage than our cars. the 2.4L solstice with 173 horsepower gets 24/25 mpg highway, and a sad 19 in city. im still not sure how they were able to get such sad numbers.
    True. Between owning my 94 Trans Am GT and my 98 LS1 I had a 2004 Saturn Ion Redline (4 cyl. supercharged 2.0L). I was only getting about 21 MPG with it and I'm getting close to 19 MPG with my T/A driving the exact same route to and from work. I figured what was the point of owning a 4 banger if you get similar gas mileage numbers from a T/A. Don't get me wrong, it was a fun car, but I missed the T/A.
    1998 Trans Am, A4, SLP Loudmouth I, US Exotics WS9 ram air hood, Volant intake, 3.23's, 70k miles

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

I didn't see how old you are but under 25 the insurance is pretty steep. I got mine at 24 for about 150 a month for just insurance. My brother at age 16 would've been 350+ I believe. After 25 it drops to basically any other car. Just a thought

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

About a year ago, I was in the same spot and I recommend the V8 hands down. The power is there if you want it. If you don't drive it hard your mileage won't be that different. It's just nicer when someone comes up to you as a gas station or a friend, neighbor etc. and asks to look under the hood. I really recommend the V8 and don't want you to regret it down the road. Plus who knows in 10 years we may never have cars like this or ever be able to afford the gas. Enjoy it while you can.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

i used to drive a 75 lemans (which is for sale by the way) with a 350 and the gas prices were killing me and it was my daily driver, now nothing i do in this car can compare to that beast, throwing fourty to sixty bucks a week in that thing is nothing now that i have the power i want and the looks. Nothing beat a M6 for nice cruising, the motor is barely running going even 80mph. Good luck.

Arctic White
    2001 Firebird

I think it depends on your age and if you are paying for your own insurance. I know that for me, I have no other choice than to drive the V6 right now. Insurance for the V6 is $170 per month with all my discounts, but if I went with the V8, it would double. If it's not issue for you though, I would go V8.

artic white
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I owned a 98 a4 Firebird with the W68 sport appearance package, which basically was gfx kit and 3.42 gears. I drove it for a year, the 3.42's really helped it perform a lot better than most v-6's. But it wasn't the LS1, so I found a 98 TransAm 440 miles away. I drove the Firebird over to trade it in on the TA, got 24 mpg on the way over. Picked up the TA, a4 with 2.73 gears, and drove back. I run it a little harder than the Firebird, had to check out the LS!'s power, and still got 30 mpg. I now have many mods and still average 19 mpg. Get the v-8.

Silver
    1998 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8
    Yeah there isn't a whole lot of gas mileage to gain from a V6 'bird over a M6 V8 but the V8 takes Premium gas. But so what, that ends up being a whole $3.00 more per fill up. Also the V8 will run on regular gas. The computer will compensate and detune the engine's power some by running a less aggressive timing curve.
    Hold up a second. I own a '98 Formula that was supposedly a California highway patrol car. It doesn't say anywhere that it needs premium, so I've always put 87 in it. Are you telling me that all LS1's are supposed to get premium? About how much power is lost by the timing cut when I use regular?

EDIT

Did a little research, and had no idea the LS1 had a 10.1 ratio. I'll definitely start putting 91 in it. Again, does anyone know how much power I've been loosing?
    Last edited by EZ2NV; 05-27-2008 at 01:06 AM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

On my 99 it says right on the inside of the gas door "Premium Unleaded fuel reccommended" er something like that.

black trans am

ok i have a 2000 t/a m6 and a 1995 firebird v6 auto i get about 23mpg avg with roping to wipe on the local civcs u looking at 13 mpg... now my t/a i get 30 on the highway at 65-70 26mpg at the same speed with tops off in town ur looking at bad un less u use skip shift and learn not to bog the car out and use the tq. if u lean to drive the car right u can drive around town at 900-1100 rpm and get 23+ in town

NBM
    2000 Pontiac T/A WS6

i average around 26 mpg with my ls1 M6 trans am. if im hard on it then it drops to like 12mpg, if i take it real easy around 28ish.

think about this: a v6 requires to work a bit harder through the same drivetrain and the same weight as the v8, so basically the v8 doesnt have to work as hard to move the vehicle as the v6, so using less fuel....essentially, BUT those two extra cylinders require more fuel as well.....might as well get the v8.

get the v8 and when import guys tell you that v8s suck because of gas show them your 350 miles to 7/8ths of a tank. and then piss on them in a race. what they dont realize is that EVERY car gets poor gas mileage when you floor it everywhere to seem fast.
    Last edited by DevilDougWS6; 05-27-2008 at 09:08 AM.

midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

Thanks guys... I am holding out for a v-8. I am not gonna compromise my dream for anything. I have had a couple more trans-am fall into my lap that I need to go check out.

Red
    1999 Pontiac Trans-Am

Ya go with the V8. My girl friend has a pewter 99 Camaro with the 3.8 v6 and it fairs pretty good against the 07 v6 mustangs lemme tell ya, still a nice car but U will regret it if U dont get the V8...

pewter
    2002 firehawk

I had a 02 v6 and it looked great until I found out what I was missing and I got a 02 firehawk...best decision I've ever made thus far...sounds great, power out the ass when you need it, and has good streat mannors when you don't

burgundy
    1991 Pontiac firebird

The answer is always power lol V8

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information