Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Firebird first car?

So I am 21 and looking for a Ws6/Trans AM/ or should I go bare V6 as a first car. I love the 4 gen bodies and was curious to hear from other people what they think. I have has my licence since I was 16 so I have been driving for a while. Also, if there are any other Canadians on this forum I am curious to know how much they pay for insurance and gas (typical MPG). I have posted this on LS1TECH.com as well but I wanted to get a good feel from different people.

Since this is my first time on this forum any other things I should look for before buy this car?

Thanks,

Macho

Wait.........WHAT??!! LoneGunman's Avatar

Hugger Orange
    '99 Camaro Z28

Being that you are under 25 and wanna get a sports car, be prepared for higher insurance premiums. Then again, you are from Canada so I really don't know for sure. As far as wanting a 4th gen, do your research. There is a lot of things to look out for in buying one of these. Also, if you are not familiar with a v8 sports car they can be dangerous. I know it does'nt seem like 300 horse is a lot these days, but it can be a handful if you are not prepared for it. The 4th gen F-body is a damn cool car, I'm currently in my 3rd one so they are addicting once they get their hooks in you. Figure out what it is exactly what you want, and how much you wanna spend before doing anything. Look around on here, there are a lot of knowledgeable people, and a lot of helpful information on these cars. Good luck in your search, and welcome to the board!

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Trans Am

a firebird was my first car. i started on a v6 and got it when i was 18 but you should just go ls1 and not mod it for a little while

Black
    1989 camaro

Definitely!

I would say definately get a V6!

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

My first car at 17 was an 84 corvette and my second car at 18 is my current TA WS6. It is a really good choice for a first car, just respect it and don't act like a maniac while driving. Also just ease onto it if you are not use to driving a v8.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

bright red
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

My first car was a 01' maroon Firebird which I bought when i was 17. Bought it for $3200
    I worked hard for it and I loved it, then I got flowmaster exhaust and some intake put on it.
    I then swapped out the hatch for a Trans Am hatch with the rear spoiler (I loved the look of the TA's)
    and then I later painted the car black.
    Then I came to my senses and realized it was useless trying to make it something it was not.. a V8
    After I had spent over $4000 on the car with upgrades and repairs I sold it for 4.2k and got my 99' TA
    Bought it for 9k and since then have added full intake all the way to the manifold and full exhaust and a pretty huge cam, and now I smile everytime I hear the beast roar, and I love the power even more

My point is... get a V8...
    do it once, and do it right
    or you will regret it later!!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Something nobody here has mentioned is both a V6 and a V8 are rear-wheel drive. You live in Canada. Rear-wheel drive cars and snow/ice do not mix well. Especially so if you have never driven a rwd vehicle before. Just my .02.

I personally would only get one if you can drive it only in the spring/summer time when there isn't snow on the ground. Get yourself a cheap beater to slide into guardrails with in the winter.

Good luck
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

My first two F-bodies were V6's. I had a '94 Camaro with the 3.4L V6, and a '01 Camaro with the 3.8L V6. The 3.8 is a great motor, and that car was tons of fun, especially with mods. Definitely not a bad choice-you could do much worse. As Jon pointed out, though, being up north, it may not be a great car, especially during the colder months when you have to worry about ice and snow. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome to the site!

Check this thread out for some good info: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/guide-buying-fbody-118628/

Black/ Silver

I have driven rwd vehicles in the snow and it isn't so bad as long you don't floor it and take it slow and putting sandbags in the back definitely help with getting traction in the snow. I don't know how much snow Canada gets but that has worked for me both in my TA which isn't my DD anymore and my Charger.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 12-09-2012 at 06:22 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I drove one for 11 years through winters so I'm seasoned in how a rwd vehicle handles in snow and bad weather in general. Now that I own fwd cars I would never do it again. Night and day difference. Just something the OP needs to be made aware of.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I had the 4WD go out in my first Ford Ranger one year just as winter hit. Had an open rear and wouldn't go anywhere once the ground turned white, even with new Wranglers on it. I'll pass on RWD in the snow -- especially around here with all the hills and sharp curves. I assume things are fairly flat where you're at Jon?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yes, they are. However, in IN, snow removal on the expressways isn't exactly great. In IL they are a lot better. During heavy snow storms I found myself sliding around quite a bit and doing maybe 35MPH on the highways while everyone else was going 55MPH. I never wrecked the car, and got stuck only a handful of times that I was able to get myself out of with enough reverse/forward-type hassle (my transmission loved me on those days ). I also had around 100-150 lbs of stereo equipment in the trunk area of that vehicle. Once I got my Impala with both traction control and Stabilatrack, and it being FWD, I can't even get the car to slide and it cuts through snow like a hot knife goes through butter. Much safer and a lot less headache in the winter months.

I do remember sliding down hills several times, even going at a slow speed when hitting the brakes. I had to turn the wheel and slide the car into the curb to avoid hitting the vehicle in front of me.

A lot of people drive these cars in the snow, but I personally am against it now that I've experienced otherwise. I love my SS to death, but I'd never be caught driving it in the snow. Hell, I don't even drive it in the rain. It's nice having that luxury. Not a lot of people do, hence why I mentioned getting a FWD beater to drive during the winter months.

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

My experience has been the other way around, RWD > FWD in the snow. My damn '98 Monte Carlo sucked ass in the snow. I'd turn a corner and the damn car would slide and just go straight. Also didn't like to stop, ABS would come on and 35mph to 0 took 300 FT to stop it seemed. The Camaro on the other hand, If put my Bridgestone Blizzaks on all fours and chuck about 2 cinder blocks back in the rear t-top holder, that car can plow through 7 inches of snow. Plus if the front loses traction I just tap the gas and powerside through the corner. I feel much safer in the Camaro.

Back to the OP, I was 19 when I bought my LS1 Z28. As long as you respect the power under your foot you'll be fine IMO.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I never tried the Blizzaks. That could be the major difference there. I've heard great things about them.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Not a f-body but the Trail Blazer SS might be a better fit for you. Fast as hell and rides well.

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Get what you want but respect what you have. Welcome to the site and good luck with your first car.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Not a f-body but the Trail Blazer SS might be a better fit for you. Fast as hell and rides well.
    That or a silverado ss both are pretty fast.

2002 Trans Am WS6 - Red
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ

I like the Trailblazer SS. Nice ride for what they are.

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I never tried the Blizzaks. That could be the major difference there. I've heard great things about them.
    I got mine 50% off.. Even at full price they are worth every penny!

Thread Information