silver
    99 formula/ 2001 trans am

firbird hits fuel cutoff before shifting

I have a 99 firbird with auto tranny. I can take off pretty good but when i go full throttle it hits the cut out before shifting to second gear. is this something I can change in the computer or is it a tranny issue? fuel cutout hits at about 6800rpm. also when it does shift at higher rpm it seems like it takes a long time. any advise would be appreciated.

Bright Red
    1998 Firebird Formula LS1

I am pretty new to the Firebird family, so forgive me if I'm asking dumb questions....but what do you mean it "cuts off the fuel" in high RPMs. Also, I'm no tranny expert by any means, but if it's shifting funny, then it seems to me that something is def wrong. What do you mean it "takes a long time"? Sorry for the questions....just trying to get a better idea....

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Sounds to me that someone tuned your fuel cutoff to be lower than the shift points.

I don't have an A4, but it seems to me at 6800 RPM you are way too high for a shift when redline is about 5800. So my guess is your PCM tuning is whacked or something is seriously wrong w/ your trans.

silver

I just got the car and had to put all the stock goodies back on to get it smogged. including having the computer de tuned. so they probably didnt reset shift point or fuel cutout back to stock. I really dont want to rev my engine to 6800rpm, is this something I can change with the TEC 2 or do I need to take it to the guy who de tuned it? trans seems to be ok but scares me that it wont shift at WOT.

Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

i had same issue from shifting from 2nd to 3rd because of a higher stall torque converter that was installed without a tune being done. its the rev limiter...i had a "tranny tune" done and it fixed the problem. have the tuner lower the rev limiter while hes in there tuning your shift points. 6800 shift at wot seems to high imo

98 Formula
    06 duramax

depending on the mods it could just be a tune issue....the car has definitely had a tune at some point if the limiter is that high. Probably just need the shift points adjusted.

silver

Thanks for the help guys. I'll just cruise it around for the few months untill I smog it again. After that , all the goodies go back on and I'll have it tuned then. good thing is theyre easy to work on.

Thread Information