Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

Exclamation Finally Ran The Sti!!!!!!!!

ALRIGHT!! FInally ran with my buddies stock 06 STI. Here's how everything went down.

Benefit of all this is that it was a good buddy of mine so theres no cheating or lieing about any throttle or gear variables.

This was done on a service road near an interstate hwy. ~1/4mi

99 T/A M6- Magnaflow c/b SLP flowpac, stock rims and tires.
    06 STI-all stock

1st run: From stop- STI pulled ahead by 1 car length, by the time he was at max boost and hp he had to shift, at which point i was getting into max torque and caught up. I was 3/4 through 1st he was shifting into 2nd. Even through 40-65mph it was even, only downside i see to the STI is the constant short gear shifting which caused him to fall behind by a nose each shift. It was even through ~75 when I started pulling ahead by first a half, then finally roughly 3/4 a car length by ~100.mph.

2nd run (5mph roll): Even launch through 30mph, He shifted and i still had some left in 1st, so i pulled ahead by a nose. With me ahead by a nose it remained even through 70mph. Again, with the gearing on the STI he had to go through all 6 gears while I had to only use 4 of my 6, each one of his shifts lead to about a 2 foot gain. 1.5 car length lead by T/A at ~110mph.

3rd run (30 mph): Tricky for the STI because he is either at the redline in 1st or low-mid rpm's in 2nd... i'm at the sweet spot in 1st (~3700rpm). At this speed I pull ahead by 1/2 car length and a repeat of the 5mph run, the constant boosts of power but constantly having to shift in the STI kills him. TA leads by ~1.3car length at ~100mph

To sum up: This is a good lesson for everyone who thinks they are experts. I consider myself and my buddy to be decent drivers, I emphasize the word "DECENT" because no one here is an expert, if we were we'd be in the NHRA. Just because the factory says you can go X mph at X time doesnt mean the car will do it by itself, professional drivers under controlled conditions are getting those numbers so the buyer will go out and say "HEY, MY CAR GOES 0-60 IN 5 SECONDS!"

A good learning experience for myself and my bud at 3am on a Sunday morning, lol.

P.s. If some of you are wondering it was 53 degrees, Humidity 55%.

Black
    2002 Trans Am

I've been wanting to test my luck against one. Maybe one day.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

a stock f-body with sticky tires will take an sti.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula
    a stock f-body with sticky tires will take an sti.
    I def agree with you on that one. The work Ive done to my car i would'nt even call "work". But if i had some better grip i woulda had a considerable lead on a few of those runs.

White
    2001 Trans Am

Thank you. I was getting sick of hearing how a STI would beat a F body.
    Proof is in the puddin', guys.

White
    2001 Trans Am

Damn, 30HP from a catback?

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

so when is the devils advocate gonna scream about the sti being all stock and him having exhaust mods. That exhaust gives you a healthy 30hp, man. Kinda freaks me out..i bet he could beat you with some mods and i agree, they do have to shift quick.

Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

Quote Originally Posted by dipherentdesign
    so when is the devils advocate gonna scream about the sti being all stock and him having exhaust mods. That exhaust gives you a healthy 30hp, man. Kinda freaks me out..i bet he could beat you with some mods and i agree, they do have to shift quick.

I think 30hp for just a cat back is wayyyy over done. MAYBE the cb with the flowpac MIGHT give me 20 at the wheels, I think its always better to think less than more... If mfr says it adds 15-20 hp, you go with the 15.

than again I could be wrong.

Black
    2002 Trans Am

I put 300 to the wheels, in my bone-stock, auto, '02 WS6. After an SLP air-lid and a Corsa cat-back, it did 317.

White
    2001 Trans Am

That had to of either been an accidental key, or sarcasm, or maybe...

black
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by dipherentdesign
    The problem with the STi is the tranny gearing, it's set up to be a rally car where you have to shift constantly to change balace and stay in the power band going around corners, more power would equal faster shifting and hitting the top of the power band sooner, the acceleration would be be better but, it would top out even sooner.

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

The exhaust is probably what won it for you. 15hp is easily attainable from an exhaust mod. Otherwise it would have been about dead even (drivers race)

black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Wow!! He had to use all six gears? What doest that car top out at? And is it geared similar to the evo VIII?

White
    2005 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by speedaddict
    Wow!! He had to use all six gears? What doest that car top out at? And is it geared similar to the evo VIII?
    There is no way he had to use 6 gears to reach 110mph. To cross the 1/4 mile you have to shift to 5th in the STi (4th tops out at 96mph if I remember correctly.) Our theoretical top speed with the USDM gearing is 170-ish mph. Stock we are electronically limited to 155mph. Our 5th and 6th are overdriven and are real buzz kills unless you're modded. We have to shift to 3rd to hit 60mph. 1st gear is extremely short and kind of a neck snapper on the launch. He's definitely right about all the shifting though. The 6spd is AWESOME for road racing but tough for drag racing.

Sounds about right. At the strip I was dead even with a WS6 that cut a 1.9 60ft (I nailed a 1.821) and before I blew a shift I was at his rear bumper. I actually beat another T/A but I don't know what year, mods, or tires. Killed a modded Z06 off the line (reaction time + nice 60ft) and then he meanly crushed my happy-moment when he caught up and blew by me at the 1/8th marker on his way to an 11.6 @ 120-something mph. lol.

Thread Information