Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Finally bought a trans am and have questions!

This is a discussion on Finally bought a trans am and have questions! within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; when you say dry media filter do you mean stock paper like filter,im asking cause I to have a k&n. ...

white
    2000 trans am

when you say dry media filter do you mean stock paper like filter,im asking cause I to have a k&n. but its old and could use replacing.also what would be the correct way to clean the maf

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

use maf cleaner, spray on wires, let it sit, never touch or wipe it, spray again 5-10 mins later, let it sit till dry.
    Nutball likes this.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    yes....I would use K&N's recharger kit. I use a dry paint brush to remove loose debris then spray it with their cleaning solution and let it sit 10-15 minutes. Rinse that off and lay the filter in the sun a while to dry. When I put the oil on it gets a very light dusting of oil followed by patting it dry with a paper towel. I'll let that sit in the sun a while too before putting it back in.
    K&N's kit is good because it comes with the specific cleaner for the filter. The kit will last you longer than you own the car. On the other hand if you go to almost any motorcycle shop they also carry filter oils that will work just fine. As Orion posted, don't over do it! A light spray a couple of times from 45 degrees in each direction will be plenty. The oil will distribute itself by wicking through the cloth material. Also, just so we can say we said it, you only put the oil on the side of the filter that faces toward the inlet, not the side the faces down toward the MAF.
    Nutball likes this.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

The higher the gear ratio, the lower the gear. A 3.73 and 4.10 gear are actually a lower gear than a 2.73 or 3.42. It's confusing, I know. With that said, there's a real easy way to figure out what gear you have installed w/o removing the pumpkin cover or even driving the car. If you jack up the rear end (securely), you can turn your wheel one full revolution and count how many times your driveshaft turns (put a mark on it to make it easy to read). If it turns 2-3/4 times, you have a 2.73 gear. If it turns 3-1/2 times, you have a 3.42 gear, if it turns a little more than 4 times you have a 4.10 gear...and so on and so on.

Welcome aboard.
    Nutball likes this.
    It's on jackstands.

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

I knew there was a "formula" to determine what your gear ratio you had w/o removing your diff cover, I just wasn't clear on how to explain it. Thanks Jon
    I also didn't want t confuse Shy with saying a 3.73 is a smaller gear then a stock 2.73 or 3.42 it's ass-backwards but, once explained, you never forget it.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

There's also online calculators that calculate your RPM at a certain speed. All you have to do is enter your rear end ratio transmission gear ratio, and tire diameter. A stock 275/40R17 tire is 25.66" tall. There's a calculator for that too haha.

T56 transmission ratios are as follows for 1999-2002 Camaro/Firebird

1st - 2.66:1
    2nd - 1.78:1
    3rd - 1.30:1
    4th - 1:1
    5th - 0.74:1
    6th - 0.5:1
    Reverse - 2.90:1

Using this, with my 4.11 gear in 6th gear going 74.3mph, my RPM is 2000. At 2500RPM, I would be going 92.8mph.

With a 3.42 gear in 6th at the same RPM you would be going 89.3mph (2000rpm) and 111.6mph (2500rpm).

Kind of shows you the difference gears make.

www.wallaceracing.com/gear-speed.php
    Nutball likes this.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by jodmari View Post
    when you say dry media filter do you mean stock paper like filter,im asking cause I to have a k&n. but its old and could use replacing.also what would be the correct way to clean the maf
    The best filter out there is probably the Amsoil Ea which is a dry media filter than can also be cleaned. There are others as well -- I think AEM makes a dry style filter. I know 0rion and I disagree on this point, but I will run a parts store paper air filter over a K&N. I am more concerned about keeping dirt out of the engine than I am having all out maximum air flow.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

I use K &N filters on all my vehicles. Even my gf's car and moms. I have never had an issue in well over 25+ years of driving. I think the biggest issue is when peeps clean and re-oil the filter. The procedure is very presice. DON'T OVER OIL THE FILTER. Clean it, let it dry, oil it, let it dry, then install it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)

Thread Information