Thread: a few questions

black
    1998 trans am

Question a few questions

ive got a 98 trans am, with ram air added, car has 209xxx miles, bout 60000 on engine, trans and rear are all original, i've started fixing a few problems on it, o2 sensors, tranny mount, rear trans seal. but.....i've still gotta do a knock sensor, i know you have to take intake manifolds(top and bottom) off to replace it, has anyone done this? and how big a pain in the butt is it? also, after i get that mission accomplished, i was going to beef up power, has anybody used a programmer , how well did it work? also thinkin bout intake and throttle body, the car will run like a mad dog, but i can't, for the love of me break it loose from a dead stop, it just hooks up and goes, i'm basically making a toy for myself, so i have something i can play with when i'm home, so i dont wanna do alot of big work on driveline, i figure i'll end up blowin the 700r4 and rear out of it eventually with all the miles on them, i'm just wanting to give it some more grrrr.. i've got a k&n filter in the ram air and flomaster muffler, but i wanna add bout another 100 hp to it, i use to be a ford man, but married a woman with a trans am, so thats why i'm goin down the gm road now, im' not real familiar with them, but have been told LS1 is a real good engine to start with, any help, advice, ideas would be much appreciated

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

PM JoshieDoom..... He is our Resident High Mileage Expert.

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Quote Originally Posted by crash112382 View Post
    ive got a 98 trans am, with ram air added, car has 209xxx miles, bout 60000 on engine, trans and rear are all original, i've started fixing a few problems on it, o2 sensors, tranny mount, rear trans seal. but.....i've still gotta do a knock sensor, i know you have to take intake manifolds(top and bottom) off to replace it, has anyone done this? and how big a pain in the butt is it? also, after i get that mission accomplished, i was going to beef up power, has anybody used a programmer , how well did it work? also thinkin bout intake and throttle body, the car will run like a mad dog, but i can't, for the love of me break it loose from a dead stop, it just hooks up and goes, i'm basically making a toy for myself, so i have something i can play with when i'm home, so i dont wanna do alot of big work on driveline, i figure i'll end up blowin the 700r4 and rear out of it eventually with all the miles on them, i'm just wanting to give it some more grrrr.. i've got a k&n filter in the ram air and flomaster muffler, but i wanna add bout another 100 hp to it, i use to be a ford man, but married a woman with a trans am, so thats why i'm goin down the gm road now, im' not real familiar with them, but have been told LS1 is a real good engine to start with, any help, advice, ideas would be much appreciated

There is only 1 intake, and 1 cam.

You ain't in Kansas no more....

black
    1998 trans am

i meant its a 2 piece intake, is it not?

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Negative Ghostrider. The "Upper/Lower Intake Plenum" is a Rustang thang.

black
    1998 trans am

well, at least i know now, thx, and no, i never had no 5.0, i had a 73 mach 1 with a 351 cleveland in it yrs ago, i've been out of cars for a while, i deal with 15 litre 6 cylinder cummins , with dual overhead cams, and 10 speed eaton tranny's, 435 hp, 1500/1600lb ft of torque,

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

As for removing it, just be careful not to break the OP sender.... it is located behind the intake...

Thread Information