Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Factory Ram Air box

This is a discussion on Factory Ram Air box within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I bought the dual headed intake from volant. It gave it a pretty good gain as far as intakes go ...

blue
    2000 trans am

I bought the dual headed intake from volant. It gave it a pretty good gain as far as intakes go plus i think it looks awesome! plus u gotta love the noise it makes! my suggestion is go for that.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up Noise?

What kind of the noice are you speaking of? Will it tack on to your engine without the extended height of the Air hood? What is the website where you bought this air filter.

Thanks Buddy,
    Mattttttttttt.

Quote Originally Posted by malossavich View Post
    I bought the dual headed intake from volant. It gave it a pretty good gain as far as intakes go plus i think it looks awesome! plus u gotta love the noise it makes! my suggestion is go for that.

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by matthewaqui View Post
    Yah, the increase probably would not be very noticeable in comparison to the money invested in the box. I have seen images of TA without Airbox with cone shape protruding air filters at the opening of the hood. I wonder if that's better than the Air box since air induction is from all angle on that type of filter, eventhough it's not very attractive looking.

Matt........................
    Check my setup out at my fquick site. It kinda caught all the guys I cruised with last week off guard.
    '05 BMW 330Ci ///M Sport 6Spd
    '99 WS13 Trans Am A4 - Gone but not forgotten
    '01 Firebird Convertible A4 - History

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 R.I.P.

But you know what, for that price, it's really good!!!! 4 years ago, I purchased an OEM hood from YearOne which arrived at my house unpainted, etc. for $1600....
    very true. Now that these cars aren't new, they are much more reasonable to mod. I just don't want to wait until the equipment gets 'hard to find'.

Justin

Black
    2002 WS6

Matt. If you were talkin to me about the pics of th air lid , I have the exact same two pieces shown at the top of this thread for sale ( without the sticker).

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by sharptransam View Post
    I'll invest in one as soon as I rob that bank. you got the airbox too or not?
    yeh i got it with the airbox and k&n.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up Fitting

Hey Justin,

Will it fit on a Non Ram Air hood? I'm wanting to go for the Ram Air Hood, but strap for cash right now since I just did two TA Exaust system. I don't know when I can do the hood..... but if that box will fit under a normal hood, I possibly will pick it up from you. Can't make any solemn promises about it though.

I can feel the increase from the exaust system, thus, the Ram will make a difference.

Thank you,

Matthew
    Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    Matt. If you were talkin to me about the pics of th air lid , I have the exact same two pieces shown at the top of this thread for sale ( without the sticker).

Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

is this what you guys were talking about with the dual headed intake??

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1.../100_0177a.jpg
    http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1.../100_0175a.jpg

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Dual Intake

That's it..... it doesn't seem very difficult to bolt together, though the fitting will probably need to be precise or the hood will not close properly.

Matttttttttttttttttttt

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    is this what you guys were talking about with the dual headed intake??

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1.../100_0177a.jpg
    http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1.../100_0175a.jpg

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

yeah, do you think that would be any better than getting an air box?? what i'm going to do is put a ws6 hood on a regular TA but i'm trying to find a good place to get the hood/air box.. don't really have a clue where to start or what kind to look for... or if that dual filter set up would be better.. i'm clueless!

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up Increase Performance

I'll take a stab at answering your questions based on my TA ownership. I own a mint TA with Ram Air hood, stripes, etc. that is decked out for show... and a Silver TA without the hood but the exhaust. I completed both the TA exhausts system today. It was nice to work on both of my TAs through the days. My red show car was a Stock where I did all the job on it myself from the slotted rotor, to the hood, the stripes, painting and color sanding, exhaust system, etc. The Ram Air will give your vehicle the sleek look. Though the people on this thread are correct, the air box will not give you much gain in Horsepower compared to the exhaust system... where you can here the the deep rumbled and feel the acceleration.

Here is an image of my dual Chrome 3 inch tips. I installed it myself today. It looks better than my single one that I installed on the Silver one yesterday, though it cost more and pretty much gives off pratically the same performance.... one thing I will mention is the installation is much more difficult based on the Clamp (socket should not be used, Allen Wrench is the way to go though your elbow will feel the pain).....Single 3 inch pipe (Magnaflow 15684: $340), Dual Double Tip Chrome (Magnaflow 16723:$640)

I purchased the original OEM hood from YearOne.com... back then it was 1,500.... now it's 1,800 I wanted an exact fit and had to pay the price.

Depending on what color is your TA, a color Carbon Fiber hood might be the way to go in avoiding to paint. Do an internet search.. I've forgotten the site for those Carbon hoods.

That airbox your were mentioning....... I think that open air dual filter is the best. It's open, sits right infront of the hood opening, easy open access for debris cleaning..... and possible work better than an air box. I think that get up will be costly though.

One thing I will mention is.. with the increase in Horsepower, it's damn fun to step on it and feel the Pontiac Excitement..... though it will suck up your gas. I ran 50 miles in my installed Exhaust to burn out the manfacturing pipe grease and whatever shit that's inside the system... and I notice my Fuel gauge when down nearly a 1/4 of the tank!!!

Happy Trails!
    Matttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    yeah, do you think that would be any better than getting an air box?? what i'm going to do is put a ws6 hood on a regular TA but i'm trying to find a good place to get the hood/air box.. don't really have a clue where to start or what kind to look for... or if that dual filter set up would be better.. i'm clueless!

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

oh ok.. thanks for the info ! btw your exhaust looks nice on that red TA!

blue
    2000 trans am

The noise I reffered to is just the sucking of the intake when u give it gas and the release of the pressure in the intake when u turn the car off. Itl take ten ims to install absolute piece of cake everything comes with it. It works fine without the ramair hood I am however planning to buy the raptor hood made for the firehawks. I got mine off ebay, but I checked around and heres one of the cheapest I found. http://dagostinoracing.com/index.php...roducts_id=306 This will only fit on a 98 trans am or newer. You will absolutly love this thing.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

mallossavich, you have the dual filter set up? do you think it performs better than the air box? any pics of yours?

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

the flowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Correct you are man......... with my new Magnaflow exhaust installed, I can feel the flow and the reduction in back pressure. The flow makes such a big difference..... though my vehicle is still getting used to the new system. I was at the Volant site and did not see the intake system.... you have the precise link.. I would like to price it in for a future purchase.

Matthew
    P.S. You are right in A raptor hood would probably work best with your dual filter

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

I was at the Volant site and did not see the intake system.... you have the precise link.. I would like to price it in for a future purchase.
    why do you say a raptor hood would work better than a WS6 hood for the dual filter intake??
    oh and he gave the exact link, here it is again
    http://dagostinoracing.com/index.php...roducts_id=306

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Post Open Nostril

I say this because the Raptor hood has an open nostril without any separation between the inlet. The open inlet gives better flow than that of a separation. Just imagine 4 open windows or that of two big ones without any separation.

You see what I mean?

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmattttttttt

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

oh yeah i get what you're sayin, i still like the ws6 hood better

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information