Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

Factory Ram Air box

This is a discussion on Factory Ram Air box within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Years ago, I threw a Ram Air hood on to my 2001 TA. I never upgraded the Air Box. Today ...

  1. #1
    Member matthewaqui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lakewood, California
    Posts
    779

    Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

    Angry Factory Ram Air box

    Years ago, I threw a Ram Air hood on to my 2001 TA. I never upgraded the Air Box. Today I saw on Ebay, this air box:



    Evidently that box saids "RAM AIR" on it. Now, my question for all you TA owners, are the Factory Air box for all 4th generation TAs alike? I'm thinking WS6 Air box has a taller inlet compared to regular TA.

    Matttttttttttttttttt!

  2. #2
    Firebird Encyclopedia 9T8W66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    St. Clair Shores. Michigan
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,605

    Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

    That is the factory lid with the air silencers, it is no different than your original piece accept for the Ram Air sticker. The WS6 cars do have a taller air box/radiator support but unless you debaffled your hood it's not worth buying. And even then it would only be a marginal gain in power.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

    Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

  3. #3
    Member sharptransam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    720

    Black
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 R.I.P.

    yeah, open your hood, and look at the little slit where air actually goes in and up through the filter to the lid. that slit is wider in a 'ram air' by like half an inch or so. the 'lid' itself has NOTHING to do with it.

  4. #4
    Member matthewaqui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lakewood, California
    Posts
    779

    Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

    Thumbs up Your Stripes

    Thanks for the explanation. I didn't think there were much difference in power gain for a bigger box, unless you change the complete intake. So, I would be proper to say that the OEM hood along with the Air box is more of a gimmick then functionability.

    Now that we have somewhat settled on that issue........ where did you get your side vent hood stripes? I have the anniversary stripe on my Red TA... and thinking of side stripes on my silver one when I purchase the hood.

    Matthew

  5. #5
    Member matthewaqui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lakewood, California
    Posts
    779

    Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

    Thumbs up No OEM

    half an inch huh? I have never heard of this before. It would be quite unoticeable and not very functional than.... I guess one of those Sun Coast Creation hood with the open airbox would probably work better than the OEM Ram Air hood........

    Mattttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

    Quote Originally Posted by sharptransam View Post
    yeah, open your hood, and look at the little slit where air actually goes in and up through the filter to the lid. that slit is wider in a 'ram air' by like half an inch or so. the 'lid' itself has NOTHING to do with it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member clg82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,453
    2000 Trans Am

    The new hood that i bought came with a k&n and also the higher air box.
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

  7. #7
    Member matthewaqui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lakewood, California
    Posts
    779

    Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

    Wink Any Increase

    Man, instead the silver one that I just bought, I really wanted a White one just like yours......... how did you hood fit on? Good increase of hp on the higher air box?
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

  8. #8
    Senior Member clg82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,453
    2000 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by matthewaqui View Post
    Man, instead the silver one that I just bought, I really wanted a White one just like yours......... how did you hood fit on? Good increase of hp on the higher air box?
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    The hood fit like a glove came prepainted and everything! And also a hell of a lot lighter then the stock one. There was a noticeable difference in the higher rpm's especially with my slp lid.

  9. #9
    Member sharptransam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    720

    Black
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 R.I.P.

    where did you get your hood at?

  10. #10
    Firebird Encyclopedia 9T8W66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    St. Clair Shores. Michigan
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,605

    Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

    Quote Originally Posted by matthewaqui View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. I didn't think there were much difference in power gain for a bigger box, unless you change the complete intake. So, I would be proper to say that the OEM hood along with the Air box is more of a gimmick then functionability.

    Now that we have somewhat settled on that issue........ where did you get your side vent hood stripes? I have the anniversary stripe on my Red TA... and thinking of side stripes on my silver one when I purchase the hood.

    Matthew
    An aftermarket air lid is the best mod along with a cold air kit or the FRA (Free Ram Air) Mod.
    My Blackbird stripes I picked up from http://www.fourthcircledesigns.com He was the only one that had a checkerd pattern stripe. There was another site that was selling them but I don't remember the name. Maybe someone else can chime in.

  11. #11
    Double Tap Heartbreak1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,616

    Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by matthewaqui View Post
    half an inch huh? I have never heard of this before. It would be quite unoticeable and not very functional than.... I guess one of those Sun Coast Creation hood with the open airbox would probably work better than the OEM Ram Air hood........

    Mattttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
    The suncoast induction design is very unique. I can't think of any other vendor that has a system like the one used by suncoast. I will say this tho. The fitment of the hood is a total bitch because it won't fit perfectly like any of the other hoods, and the nostrils are not styled like the OEM hoods. Also be aware it took 3 times worth of working on my hood to get all the waves out of the primer coat. Its not the best made hood at all and its a real pain in the ass, but if you like the difference in intake size and location, its worth the look.
    '05 BMW 330Ci ///M Sport 6Spd
    '99 WS13 Trans Am A4 - Gone but not forgotten
    '01 Firebird Convertible A4 - History

  12. #12
    Justin
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor
    Age
    37
    Posts
    172

    Black
    2002 WS6

    Factory air lid

    I have both items shown above without the factory sticker(13.00$) in new condition if anyone wants em for 20.00$ plus shipping(air lid + air silencer). Let me know.

    JR.

  13. #13
    Member matthewaqui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lakewood, California
    Posts
    779

    Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

    Talking Post an Image

    Do you have an image of the air lid you are selling? Please post for I'm interested.....

    mattttttttttttttttt

    Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    I have both items shown above without the factory sticker(13.00$) in new condition if anyone wants em for 20.00$ plus shipping(air lid + air silencer). Let me know.

    JR.

  14. #14
    Senior Member clg82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,453
    2000 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by sharptransam View Post
    where did you get your hood at?
    www.ramairhood.com

  15. #15
    Member sharptransam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    720

    Black
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 R.I.P.

    very nice. and the paint matches from hood to front fender? that's pretty hard to beat man. thanks for the info.

  16. #16
    Senior Member clg82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,453
    2000 Trans Am

    yeh they did an awesome job matching the paint. all i did was place the order tell them which paint my car was and they delivered it right to my door step!

  17. #17
    Member sharptransam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    720

    Black
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 R.I.P.

    I'll invest in one as soon as I rob that bank. you got the airbox too or not?

  18. #18
    Double Tap Heartbreak1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,616

    Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

    I wouldn't advise going with the airbox. The only setups for induction I recommend is CAI and Suncoast R/A. Trust me, your not gonna gain as much with R/Ahoods.com setup as you would any of the others.

  19. #19
    Member matthewaqui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lakewood, California
    Posts
    779

    Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

    Good Price

    But you know what, for that price, it's really good!!!! 4 years ago, I purchased an OEM hood from YearOne which arrived at my house unpainted, etc. for $1600....


    Quote Originally Posted by sharptransam View Post
    I'll invest in one as soon as I rob that bank. you got the airbox too or not?

  20. #20
    Member matthewaqui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lakewood, California
    Posts
    779

    Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

    Angry Cone Shape Filters

    Yah, the increase probably would not be very noticeable in comparison to the money invested in the box. I have seen images of TA without Airbox with cone shape protruding air filters at the opening of the hood. I wonder if that's better than the Air box since air induction is from all angle on that type of filter, eventhough it's not very attractive looking.

    Matt........................
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertibird54 View Post
    I wouldn't advise going with the airbox. The only setups for induction I recommend is CAI and Suncoast R/A. Trust me, your not gonna gain as much with R/Ahoods.com setup as you would any of the others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. factory gto amp
    By mark21742 in forum GTO
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-11-2008, 08:33 PM
  2. gto factory amp
    By mark21742 in forum Stereo and Electronics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2008, 09:24 AM
  3. factory amp
    By silverz28camaro in forum Stereo and Electronics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-17-2007, 08:50 PM
  4. want to buy factory 17 ws6 rim
    By fastws6 in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-14-2007, 02:47 PM
  5. '00 factory MAF
    By KILLSWITCH ETERNAL in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-13-2006, 05:42 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •