Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

F-body Quality???

This is a discussion on F-body Quality??? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; you have to keep in mind that they run off premium gas. if you put anything below 91 they start ...

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

you have to keep in mind that they run off premium gas. if you put anything below 91 they start to ping. I live in CA, so all I can get is 91. when I went and got my car dyno'ed they had to stop the first pull beause the engine started to ping. where do you live? more rural parts should get better MPG than around where I live.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Thank god they have 93 aroudn here, some gas station around hte areas where people street ace even started selling 110 octane

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    Thank god they have 93 aroudn here, some gas station around hte areas where people street ace even started selling 110 octane
    wow... that sound yummy... 110oct... still... it must be some seriously expensive gas...

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I havent been out that way for a while, I also never put any in my car, i liek to run it how it normally will be which is 93 octane

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Well that rear end will snap after getting some power espeically with the M6 the stock it would be harder to snap it. No gas is no big deal, if u want the looks of a muscle car then get the V6 and try to get a really good exhuast system. Other then that yea they will take a beating

Blue/Yellow/White
    95 T/A 383

I absolutely adore my 02 WS6. Just like Thirdshift said, usually it goes "wow it's so clean!" followed by "I love the leather!" and those are just some of the positive.. reviews.. I've gotten from the ladies... rawr.

As far as resilience is concerned, these cars are top notch with only a few weak links. The rear end is probably the most looming issue as they tend to break if you get too liberal with them.

Good luck w/ your purchase!! You can't go wrong with one of these cars if it doesn't snow much around you, if it does though make sure you have a daily driver!!

Pewter, and Black
    2001 Firebird, 2002 TA

haha even my v6 gets those mileage. I wouldnt mind upgrading to a V8 because i wouldnt see a diff in the mileage. I drove a full size 2006 dodge ram truck before this car and anything else would be cheaper.

Formula Driver! 96Firebirdformula's Avatar

Batman Black
    1996 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by redss2000 View Post
    if u dont like slow window motors, dont buy an fbod...
    Or get 1LE package NO power options

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

if you don't buy an fbody because of a power window motor, then you're just a bitch.

black trans am

hell with v6's i have a 95 firebird v6... gets 24mpg on the high way btw its a a4 tird its got headers and flowmaster with no cat.. sounds like crap.. slow bad mpg.. now my 00 t/a its alsome i beat the crap out of it.. its a m6 has ever opp u can get tcs power ever thing 10 spk tan leather on balck car.. i drive it to work and leave my v6 sit tilll i tare the t/a apart and work on it.. better fule better wow better feel.... but my v6 does not kill rubber like my t/a .. dont know why..lol any ways go with a v8 do slp lid and free mods and magnaflow cat back witha m6 and u can get good mpg.. i pulled a few 33's .. on the high way but the cars are so much fun.. u got to get one

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i don't think the rear ends are the worst issue-they only snap with drag radials and high-dumps, not standard driving or even agressive highway romping.

The clutch system on the 00's and down are shotty though, that would be the first thing that you should take care of. Consider atleast 1000 there for clutch/hydrolics and time

black trans am

tts i am replaced mine b/c it was sliping when u would shift fast.. didnt like to drop rpm but it was fine when un till i hit 3rd and then was like no power.. but a quick fix and it shuld be fine i hope

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

110 octane will do no good unless you have a tune for it. Or you are pinging for some reason.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Yes i know but i meant with my supra aswell as my T/A, i dont liek to run my cars with anything different than they would normally run. If im gonna beat soemone i wanna know i can do it all the time not just when im running 110 octane. with the boost controller off the car makes 11psi, low boost tuned for 93 octane is 18psi and high boost was tuned for 110 octane but its just silly since im not paying to put 110 octane in it everytime i wanna race. Id have to drive 20 minutes everytime i wanted to put gas in my car. High boost is 23psi. I think i ran it on high twice, once when i raced in houston and the other time when i had some tires i wanted to burn off and had a friend video tape it.
    Last edited by 2000T/A Guru; 10-30-2007 at 02:49 PM.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by D3VIL View Post
    I had another thread that i stated that i was going to get a new T/A. And i have test driven couple of them and i am getting serious about buying one which i have my eyes on. Heres my concern. i've had 4 previous cars only 1 domestic(ford focus) and the rest were japanese. AND i would always open all my car up and look under the hood(i was younger and didnt know much about cars) and i have to say LOTS of shit in the car were pure PLASTIC! low quality crappy material. I cant say the same about my civic that i used to own and my two mr2's i abused the crap out of those cars and they never failed me. Though they were not very fast they still passed my test b/c they were able to be great even all of my abusings. HERES THE BIG QUESTION:

HOW are the F-BODYS WHEN IT COMES TO QUALITY? the cameros, t/a or w/e

AND how many mpg do you guys usually get in the city & highway when NOT abusing? and when you are....
    If you think a Civic and MR2 stand up well to abusings, then you will never, ever, break anything on an F-body. Civic and MR2's are little econo cars and their powertrains are not built for ANY abuse. If you abuse something will give - trans, shifter, engine, mounts, ect. Drive an F-Body like you drove your little jap cars, and you won't ever have any reliability problems.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Yeah but some are freaks, my friends civic had the computer sitting on the ground, when the car flooded and it was under water, when it dried out everything worked great. With more power comes more ability to break things. The LS1 make triple the horsepower of the civic and over double the fastest MR2s

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Yeah but some are freaks, my friends civic had the computer sitting on the ground, when the car flooded and it was under water, when it dried out everything worked great. With more power comes more ability to break things. The LS1 make triple the horsepower of the civic and over double the fastest MR2s
    I don't even know what to say...the fact that the car flooded with water and somehow worked afterwards proves nothing except that parts of the electrical system must have dried out and your friend has good luck. That has nothing to do with reliability whatsoever.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

my friend had a 2000 Civic. it was a total POS. everything broke on it. he drives a Dodge minivan now. haha

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by bluefields88 View Post
    my friend had a 2000 Civic. it was a total POS. everything broke on it. he drives a Dodge minivan now. haha
    That really sucks...

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

when you're 18, pay for your college, and play stand up bass, a mini van works out well. he's also a DD to partys. works out well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information