Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

extended warranty, worth it

This is a discussion on extended warranty, worth it within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by third_shift|studios EXTENDED WARRANTIES ARE A CROCK OF SHIT!!!!!!! put that 2k in a high yield savings account ...

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    EXTENDED WARRANTIES ARE A CROCK OF SHIT!!!!!!! put that 2k in a high yield savings account and after a few years you'll have more money to make your car fast.
    NO... I got one when i bought mine.... nothing but headache and the wont cover shit....

spun the center out of the stock clutch..... nope
    armeture burned out of starter...... nope

currently in the proccess of a trans rebuild but im guessing they are gonna come up with some bs and say its not covered, because i was pry "dropping the clutch on reverse thats why it went out"

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

As a general rule, most extended warranties are a scam. Like an insurance company, a warranty company is in business to make money. They will generally attempt to avoid making payment on a claim for any number of reasons.

If you consider purchasing an extended warranty, read the entire contract and all addendums/riders in full before and make sure you understand it. Be especially careful of any language denying coverage due to "after factory modifications" or agreeing to a "choice of law" other than your home state.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy 2-1 View Post
    Just don't go with Guardian ... they don't cover ANYTHING electrical and don't cover diagnostic fees and only pay "up to" a certain amount hourly. If it was 1975, there shouldn't been no issue, but all cars these days are electronic. They'll only cover catastrophic "mechanical" failure and even then, only part of it 'cos of the limitations on what they pay. So if it's an electronic issue that was hard to diagnose and you're stuck taking it to a shop in a state/county that has high labor rates, they'll just tell you "Sorry" that's all we can do and hang up. Ask me how I know!

I had a bad coil pack in the Explorer and it was running like crap; they asked me to take it to a certified repair facility of my choice. Diagnostics started and they said it wasn't the coil packs but the intake leaking coolant into the plug bores ... that's after like $400 worth of diagnostics (I now regret taking it there 'cos they didn't know what they were doing, and I kept telling them it was the coil packs), they covered only the intake gaskets and even then told me they pay up to like $65/hr (when the standard rate is much higher than that almost everywhere!!!) and don't cover diagnostics and had it been a coil pack, I would've got nothing. So I was stuck with a $500 bill of the total $950 or so (oh, they don't cover shop supplies and environmental fees and lubricants/etc.) and the problem was STILL there a week later. Got a whole set of 8 coils from ebay for like $130 and replaced them myself and it's been like a swiss watch ever since.

Yes I guess part of it was my fault for not doing it myself when I knew what the issue was ('cos a friend scanned it for me) but that's what you buy a warranty for and I was under the assumption that the FULL extended warranty I upgraded to when I purchased the truck covered the truck!

I called other companies too to check on this matter and nobody could give me a straight answer and one place didn't even know what a coil pack was!!! They're all crooked in one way of the other. Best is to get the extended warranty from the manufacturer or the dealership you buy your car from and not mod your car till it gets of it. Everything else is just a waste with 3rd/4th party warranties.
    ^^^Another highly satisfied extended warranty customer! Just one more reason I stay away from and recommend other to stay away from these $2k wastes of money.

Hey, here's a money making idea:
    Whoever wants to buy one of these warranties, just give me that $2,000. I'll hold it all for all those people who want to do this, and then when you have a problem, just let me know and I'll withdraw your money from my "special" account, up to your $2k limit. You get your $2,000 back after 3 years if you don't use any, and I get to keep the interest.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

I got one when I bought my T/A in 2007. Cost me an extra $12 per month on my car payment and since then, I've had:

Air Conditioner fixed: $1800
    Transmission cooling line: $175
    Starter: $875
    BCM: $700 ish
    not to include flatbed rides: $300 ish
    Rental cars: $400 ish

minus $200 deductible for all repairs: $4150

I've paid in: $348 for the life of the warranty.

Warranty is up now but, I've learned enough now and on the local scene so, not a biggy any longer.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

i didn't read the other posts, but i was looking in to a company called carchex and they are associated with a lot og good companies and hold a good bbc rating as well. The one I was looking in to was a 5yr/100,000mi warranty that only covers engie/trans/ac/and electrical. They have a $6500 cap on the warranty and that is over the whole term. They said that i could replace the parts with any i chose up 6500 and pay the difference. I am still a bit skeptical but it may be worth it with 140k on the odometer, its a matter of when not if it will break.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Anytime you can pay into something that will help cover the costs, is a good deal unless its like $1200 per year. I would say that car repairs per year is around $650 average depending on how you drive and what breaks.

Mine was a good deal but, not sure about others. I'd do it again depending on what the plan is.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by BIG GUNS View Post
    I got one when I bought my T/A in 2007. Cost me an extra $12 per month on my car payment and since then, I've had:

Air Conditioner fixed: $1800
    Transmission cooling line: $175
    Starter: $875
    BCM: $700 ish
    not to include flatbed rides: $300 ish
    Rental cars: $400 ish

minus $200 deductible for all repairs: $4150

I've paid in: $348 for the life of the warranty.

Warranty is up now but, I've learned enough now and on the local scene so, not a biggy any longer.

$875 for a starter? $700ish for a BCM? Why so much?

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Wait, the new starter with labor was $475. A rebuilt starter online was $875. Sorry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information