Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Firebird Formula

Extended Warranties/Transmissions/Rice/Budgeting

Hey ya'll. I purchased an extended warranty tonight to which i am returning it tomorrow because I can't justify spending that much money on something that a lot of guys on here frown upon. (Plus my wise old father)

I believe my syncros and hydraulics are on their way out cause getting her in 1st-4th gear is kind of tough but atm I don't have the funds to buy this: Welcome to D&D Performance - T-56 Magnum 6 Speed Transmission
    So i have been trying my best to drive her softly, but today it rained lightly....lol

I've also been trying to repair the interior like the cracks in the door panels and repainting the riced out plastic pieces. Also I've been taking the speakers out of the grille and the engine bay itself.

That being said I'm trying to put myself on a strict budget in order to afford the new trans in the next few months but I continually struggle with being disiplined with my funds

I don't really have any questions because I don't know of much else i can do to preserve the trans for now but as usual I am more than happy to take and critisism or general input

(99 Formula)M6 111,500k, just replaced clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, throwout bearing, and pilot bearing. all stock

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Don't shift it hard, or at WOT. Should get you by awhile. The T56, in general, is a pretty stout transmission. Be sure to check the trans fluid level as well and be sure it is full, and with the recommended fluid type.

Has the shifting always been difficult, or did it start after the clutch replacement? If after, you could very well just have air in the line if it wasn't bled correctly.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Firebird Formula

It always has been a little difficult and progressively got worse until i changed the parts
    But it still has gotten slightly worse even after replacing the clutch. I know it probably needs a new slave but I don't wanna drop the trans just to do that
    but I did have to rebleed the system after I installed everything

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yea, understood. Replacing the slave when you replaced the clutch would have been the best time being you already had the trans dropped.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Firebird Formula

Yeah hind sight is always 20/20 with me lol
    If you don't mind me asking, how do the big boys stay on a budget for major parts like a transmission?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Well, as someone who has almost the same amount of money in modifications done to my car as what I paid for it new, I can tell you it all doesn't come at once. Unless, of course, you make some serious coin as the car hobby is not cheap by any means. Plus, as adults, we have other responsibilities (sucks, I know).

Do you plan on taking it somewhere to have the work done, or doing it yourself? Anything you do yourself will save you a lot of money, especially with something as cumbersome as a transmission. If you plan on sending it off, the average rebuild from a reputable shop is around $2K-$2500 (including R&R, plus a core).

Another route you may be able to do is buy your own parts through sourcing them online and then just pay for a shop to install your parts. You may or may not come out cheaper this route.

As far as saving - how bad do you want/need the transmission to get rebuilt? Are you willing to sacrifice going out to the bar? out to eat? religiously put away $100/week or whatever you can afford to?

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Example: I didn't want to pull $10K out of my savings for my Procharger build so I opened up a new CC with 0% interest for 18 months and paid on it monthly for those 18 months - figured out what I needed to pay each month to have it paid off prior to the interest starting. Stuck to my guns and got it paid off a month early.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Firebird Formula

I plan on doing all the work myself
    The original plan was to grab a junkyard trans that seemed good and built my og one while running the junkyard one

I need to sacrifice eating out, I'm getting too big because of it lol

And I see what you mean. I feel like I need to get the trans working right before I start ANY type of modifications. So on a scale of importance from 1(no importance) to 10

I would say its a strong 8-8.5 in my head.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You are going to pay an arm and a leg for a junk yard trans - at least I would think. The T56 is very pricey.

There are sites out there which sell kits for rebuilding the transmission for around $600-$750 dollars - that includes all of the necessary upgrades.

If you are doing it yourself, look into the kits online. There are a few out there that people have used with great results.

My transmission was built by RPM Transmissions in Fort Wayne, IN. Zero issues with it and I'm running a decent amount of power. Going on 3 years since the upgrade now.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Firebird Formula

Well the only issue I would encounter with rebuilding it myself would be the fact that its my daily driver so being that it would be my first time rebuilding a transmission I highly doubt I could do it in a weekend. That, plus I dunno if I have all the necessary tools to do so

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I see, then maybe you can use a junkyard T56 (if you can find one) until the rebuild is done and then re-sell it. Hopefully you won't take too much of a hit on it, or sit on it for awhile trying to sell it. That takes up a lot of space just to be sitting around for months or longer.

Hell, for what you pay for a used T56, you can probably just buy a beater car to drive in the winter

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Firebird Formula

Lol gah I don't want to go back to Honda! But I sure wouldn't mind a 99 accord as a clean, bagged, fuel efficient beater lol

Thread Information