Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Exhaust setup 99 ws6

This is a discussion on Exhaust setup 99 ws6 within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Good info in here. I too plan on poly engine mounts when the time comes....

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Good info in here. I too plan on poly engine mounts when the time comes.
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays

Blog Entries
    Gents,
    I have a stock 30th Ann. Ed. ws6 TransAm. The muffler is listed on original GM window sticker as "Specific Low Restriction Dual Exhaust system." I do like the sound of it. BUT, is this anywhere near the standards of a MAGNAFLOW or FlowMaster muffler? Which you guys prefer for street driving (NOT for track or drag-strip) ??? Really feel the difference between what they put on a 30th Ann. Ed. ws6 T/Am?

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Exhaust is so subjective... it all depends upon your personal tastes. Many are running Pacesetters and ebay headers with good results. On the ebay headers you want to ensure that the bungs for the O2 senders are mounted at or above the parallel midpoint of the collectors. Go with new stock GM exhaust gaskets for the install and it is not a bad idea to upgrade to stainless bolts - preferably Stage 8 locking style.

If you are doing the work yourself, may as well change out the spark plugs while you have things apart. To garner better access on the passenger side remove the coil bracket and be sure to pop the plastic pins up that secure the rubber cowl seal to the cowl with a flat blade screwdriver. Those little buggers will shred your hands in a hurry if you don't.

Out back, rather than just making the system loud to begin with, you can go with something like a Magnaflow catback for a deep mellow tone that isn't raspy or loud. Add an electric cutout to the mid-pipe and you then have complete control over your car's sound. I went this route with our car and it is a whole lot of fun.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Magnaflow all the way. Personally, I am not a fan of Flowmaster and "that sound". Again, it is all subjective to the owner and what he/she is looking for on their car.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

My car had an 80 series Flowmaster. Idle sounded ok, WOT felt held-back and it was too quiet for my likings. Glad it is gone.

Blog Entries
    I just caught a Lingenfelter video on YouTube on doing the '97 Hurst Firebird. He used a Borla. Anybody like them vs. Magnaflow or have good results with their "single pipe" (i.e. looks like stock with two tip outlets, not 4 out back) #140028 for approx. $875. ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information