Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Exhaust Questions

This is a discussion on Exhaust Questions within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Here we go! Borla...

Yellow
    2002 CETA

Here we go! Borla
    Last edited by dbrichrider33333; 07-19-2010 at 02:03 PM.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have just the Corsa clone tips. I don't care for the sound that much. My friend had the Corsa setup on his CETA and ended up swapping in a magnaflow muffler that he did a trade off for but he kept the tips. Looks wise Corsa and Magnaflow have some of the nicest looking quad tips. My friend has the Borla kitand I'm not crazy about the tips, Although it did sound great on his car with the stock manifolds and cats. My other friends both have LT headers, ORY's and cams and sound great idleing but way too raspy for me. Do what I did pic the sound you like then if the tips don't look the way you hoped get new ones. I've had oval style chrome tips, SLP dual/dual tips, and finally the Corsa clones are what I'm keeping but my exhaust it a SLP PowerFlo setup. Keeps my car low and deep till WOT and no raspyness but on a stock exhaust it would be way too quiet.
    Last edited by RyanJM; 07-19-2010 at 02:09 PM.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Collector Edition Yellow
    2002 Trans Am CETA# 861

Re: RyanJM Thank you for the pic. It helps seeing the setup installed on the lower valance on these cars. Trouble for me, I do not know to many locally with setups that I am looking for. I have been hitting the local car shows round town, seems most are rolling with the Borla setup... and I must add it looks really sweet as well. IMO listening to sound clips don't help very much, recoding mics and closeness to the mic as well as being inside a garage etc all change the tones. It's hard to get a true feel for the sound that way...

I'll let you all know what I decide. Stay Tuned!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    . . . Here's some pics of mine
    Click for full size
    Sweet ride man. Still miss my red '93 Formula. I am hoping to find a '99 - '02 red Formula or TA sometime soon before the snow flies again. You know how it gets in 'sconsin.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

^^^Thanks man. I absolutely love my car!

Yellow
    2002 CETA

Have you seen the magaflow quad tips??

I am pretty happy with them

Don
    Last edited by donman; 07-21-2010 at 07:30 PM.
    2002 CETA - ASC# 0008 - 9-7-2001 | Pacesetter LT| TSP ORY| Magnaflow CB | Poly M-Mounts | ASA Cam | 3600 stall | Tuned By Frost <mail order>

White
    1998 Trans Am

I love those tips I just didn't want the muffler. Do they sell just the tips? The corsa clones I have I like but I also am liking those magnaflow tips.

Collector Edition Yellow
    2002 Trans Am CETA# 861

Quote Originally Posted by donman View Post
    Have you seen the magaflow quad tips??

I am pretty happy with them

Don
    Any chance on getting a sound clip? I have just heard so many bad stories, people not liking the sound from teh Magnaflow setup... Are those 4" tips though or 3.5"?

Sweet ride man...

Yellow
    2002 CETA

Ya I have a couple sound clips..One with jsut the catback on stock exhaust and one with headers and ORY...I also have one cruising after the headers, y, and catback were done..

I really like the sound of the Magnaflow both ways. I think one of the other posters were correct, the sounds clips do not do it justice..I fell in love with the Tips when I saw them on a car at Speed Inc...

Just the catback

Catback, LT's and ORY

Cruising CB, LT, and ORY - before tune

Oh and I fixed the exhaust leaks you can here in the 2nd video :-)

4" tips...
    Don
    Last edited by donman; 07-21-2010 at 05:50 AM.

Collector Edition Yellow
    2002 Trans Am CETA# 861

Ya I have a couple sound clips..One with jsut the catback on stock exhaust and one with headers and ORY...I also have one cruising after the headers, y, and catback were done..

I really like the sound of the Magnaflow both ways. I think one of the other posters were correct, the sounds clips do not do it justice..I fell in love with the Tips when I saw them on a car at Speed Inc...

Just the catback

Oh and I fixed the exhaust leaks you can here in the 2nd video :-)

4" tips...
    Don
    Those tips are CRAZY sweet though... not to sure if I am sold on the stock exhaust setup, the only mods I am prob going to do down the road would be headers, new y pipe, and cat back. If you could put a different muffler on and keep those tips... then maybe I am all in! LOL Anyways... THANKS! This helps a lot.

Yellow
    2002 CETA

Quote Originally Posted by 02TRANS View Post
    Those tips are CRAZY sweet though... not to sure if I am sold on the stock exhaust setup, the only mods I am prob going to do down the road would be headers, new y pipe, and cat back. If you could put a different muffler on and keep those tips... then maybe I am all in! LOL Anyways... THANKS! This helps a lot.
    Ya I like it better with the headers and ORY. If I would have had the money at the time I probabaly would have went with Catted Y...After the tune from Frost, the thing really runs strong and the gas odor is gone..

If you do the headers, do the motor mounts too. The mounts are a bitch, but I had one of the stock ones already with a tear on it and the was with only 32,000 miles on it.

Don

Ya I like it better with the headers and ORY. If I would have had the money at the time I probabaly would have went with Catted Y...After the tune from Frost, the thing really runs strong and the gas odor is gone..

If you do the headers, do the motor mounts too. The mounts are a bitch, but I had one of the stock ones already with a tear on it and the was with only 32,000 miles on it.

Don
    Sounds good. Maybe its just the vid but I thought it would be louder than that after the lt's

Yellow
    2002 CETA

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    Sounds good. Maybe its just the vid but I thought it would be louder than that after the lt's
    I have a video of doing a burnout that is louder....ahh what the heck..just a note...the whole time I am doing this, I am thinking how much damn tar am I throwing on my car...it was quite a bit :-(

Don

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

I sat for a while on exhaust options myself... I ended up going with a custom TD setup modeled after the Bassani system. It ran me 400 for the install.

The muffler I originally went with was a borla turbo XL dual in/out. It had a slightly louder than normal idle an picked up some at cruising speeds. It really sounded wicked at WOT. I just needed more for idle and cruising though, so I switched the muffler to a super 44 flowmaster dual in/out. I'm pretty content now. It's a little too much sometimes, but it gives me the wicked sound I was looking for w/out highway drone.

I have been looking at Powersticks though. they're the same chambered design used in GMMG cat backs. If I swapped to them then I'd have a REAL TD setup, but I'm a little shakey on how bad they will drone on the highway.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

I have a video of doing a burnout that is louder....ahh what the heck..just a note...the whole time I am doing this, I am thinking how much damn tar am I throwing on my car...it was quite a bit :-(

Don
    I think a CETA, or a Firehawk is about the only car I would trade mine for. Well maybe a new Z06/ZR1 lol, but...

NICE RIDE!!

Click for full size

Don
    Magnaflow is my favorite. Still your right about vids you really cant tell online how loud it is unless its slp, or a cutout lol

sunset orange metallic
    2002 T/A convertible

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. I put an SLP Loudmouth on my '02 vert because the stock system was so quiet I kept stalling the car out a red lites if the stereo was on. Just couldn't hear the car. This system is fairly loud, especially at about 2000 rpms in any gear (awesome resonance, especially thru the tunnels on the PA TPK ). It's not too loud if your just cruzin but if you put your foot into it it sounds almost like a ferrari on steroids at about 5500 rpms. I had SLP in Tom's River NJ put the system on for me (cost about $400 or so for everything ). Does anybody make a TRUE DUAL exhaust for this car? Down the road I'd like to start changing some things ( heads, cam, lt's , big block LSX ) and real duals just sound soooo much better. Thanx for any input. P.S. would love to post a pic but I still can' get the fn pics of my car to download (well, as you can see, I finally got my computer glitch figured out )
    Last edited by 02ragtop t/a; 07-25-2010 at 12:26 PM.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I think one of the nicest setups was on a 99 Aniversary TA which is the only reason I would sell my car, love the white with the blue stripes and especially those wheels. The car had a nice simple setup. The guy had some Kooks LT's with a set of small bullet cats, and some Moroso mufflers. It was a true tual setup but ran all the way back. Had some nice oval chrome tips that filled the rear up nice. Sound was great because it wasn't raspy. I only talked to the guy that owned it for a minute to I wish I could have found out what exhaust tips he had I liked them.
    If you go custom it gives you more options and really isn't much of a price difference from most expensive catbacks. Just gotta find a good shop that has the right equipment to do the work.

black
    2000 t/a

To be truthful w/you ive hade stock, catted w/flowmaster,uncatted w/flowmaster, and now im uncatted w/loudmouth slp 3" slash cut tip catback and i love it now. just going downtown and letting the exhaust bounce off of the buildings at 3 a.m. is so fun.and pissin on stock mustangs is great.i just had a gm performance hot cam kit installed and it sounds like my old 69 camaro idling.very happy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information