Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Exhaust?

orange
    1977 Corvette

Which Exhaust?

im going to get a ls1 trans am ws.6 in the near future and one of the first things i will do is put new exhaust on it. im debating between Borla and Magnaflow. my bother has a 2003 z06 and it has borla, headers, no cats, cutouts, and its cammed. Ive heard many different things about both and i plan to keep this car for a very long time so expense inst really an issue. i want this t/a to be really loud, and deep. so which exhaust should i get? what kind of headers? what cam will make it the loudest? should i run cutouts? should i not run cats? any additional things i should or could do to get this t/a realy loud? let me know what you guys think. thanks

Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Cut outs are your best bet if you want it to be really loud. I run the magnaflow cat back on my 01 without headers and it has a nice tone but it isn't overly loud. Headers would open it up volume wise but I believe when I did my research that I found Borla was maybe a bit louder. However, I liked the Magnaflow sound better.
    Half cocked, Full Throttle!
    2001 Black Trans Am WS6 M6
    1986 383 Stroker Red Chevrolet Camaro
    2006 Blue Kawasaki ZX6R 636

Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Forgot to add info on headers. You'll want long tubes as shorts and mids don't do much for you. You'll want 1-7/8' on the diameter as it will be maybe slightly louder. Kooks seem to be a consenus for some good headers.

Loudmouth with long tubes is as loud as it gets. If you add cats it will sound deeper and less raspy than with an off road Y. Cut out is another good choice.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

Pacesetter is good and look at GMMG if cost is no option

Navy Blue
    2013 ZL1

Headers, ORY, no cats, electric cut out. Loud when you want, Quite when you need it, best of both worlds.

black with silver stripes
    2001 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    Loudmouth with long tubes is as loud as it gets. If you add cats it will sound deeper and less raspy than with an off road Y. Cut out is another good choice.
    i agree,im running slp longtubes,loudmouth,and high flow cats,wish i had some cutouts though,only complaint on this set up is the low clearance,here it is with heads and cam...[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTwmcU2dnlw[/ame]

Impounded
    magnaflows are not that loud compaired to loudmouth or borla.
    but if you want it to last...
    go with Kooks or American Racing Headers/ ORY
    electric cutouts are nice and i plan to add them later on
    stock headers and y pipe with a borla give it a mean low grow... its louder than stock but still not that loud either...
    most run LTs ORY and Magnaflows...
    look at some videos...but most videos are crap.
    maybe you can get to someones ls1 with that certain exhaust
    ill be running 1 7/8 Kooks LTs Kooks ORY and SLP Loudmouth II
    STUPID LOUD!!!!

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

i really dont see anything getting any louder than tsps x pipe or tsps rumbler catback. They have tiny bullet mufflers..

orange
    1977 Corvette

whats an ORY? whats better, an x or y pipe? and whats better, catback or no cats?

Impounded
    ORY=off road y...meaning a y pipe with no cats (catilytic converters)
    x pipes are better but harder to fit over the axle so most normally dump before then
    a catback is the exhaust AFTER the y-pipe (you cant run a Catback with a X pipe)
    therefore you can have a catback with no cat because cats are in the y pipe.
    rank it this way (regardless the brand)
    "best"-x pipe
    y pipe with no cats (ORY)
    "worst" y pipe with cats

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

there are x pipe catbacks. the catbacks you see for our cars are made for y pipes so generally there are no x pipe catback in our cars catorgory but they do make x pipe catback, example, corvettes.. Cats arent "bad" either, its basically a personal prefrence depending on if you like the smell of gas or if you like the raspy tone, high flow cats are great... the x pipe though is suppose to be overall the best flowing pipe...

orange
    1977 Corvette

so would it be pretty loud if i got longtubes with borla exhaust? with headers, y pipe, catback, elec cutouts and some loud mufflers?

orange
    1977 Corvette

and it will be cammed eventually. another couple questions, which type of cam should i get to get the most performance and loudness? ive heard alot about the t-rex cams but i don't know much about them. and also which type of cool air intake? im more than likely gonna get a 112mm fast intake and what should i get? i favor k&n but that is also something im not too sure about.

NBM
    99 TA

I have a borla with e-cutout inplace of the adj. plates and have always gotten compliments. I started with just exhaust, then added kooks LTs, then H&C...got significantly louder each step. The nice thing about the borla is that with the plates (or e-cutout), you can adjust how loud you want it, of course it is not as quiet as stock, but I still love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    i really dont see anything getting any louder than tsps x pipe or tsps rumbler catback. They have tiny bullet mufflers..
    The rumbler is pretty much a lm2 setup with a bullet muffler. The lm1 is an empty can. Great for power, very raw in sound but some people like that.

Black
    2002 trans am ws6

I have 1 7/8" american racing headers catted Y and slp lm2 with bullet muffler, a cold start is enough to wake ur neighbors up. once it warms up the idle gets a litle lower but definitely noticable but when u hit it passed 3000rpm the car is screaming real loud im setting off car alarms and i pass inspections. Going through tunnel u actually could go def fora second lol. Long tubes is a must make sure u go 1 7/8"
    Last edited by 02blckws6; 02-22-2011 at 05:09 PM.

Impounded

you see? stupid loud
    but thats the point aint it?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by ls1_bandit View Post
    and it will be cammed eventually. another couple questions, which type of cam should i get to get the most performance and loudness? ive heard alot about the t-rex cams but i don't know much about them. and also which type of cool air intake? im more than likely gonna get a 112mm fast intake and what should i get? i favor k&n but that is also something im not too sure about.

In all honesty, avoid the oiled cotton gauze style air filters. They pass way too much dirt into your engine. They also gunk up your mass air flow sensor and can cause fueling problems. Best bet is an Amsoil Ea air filter. Otherwise, a name brand paper filter will work just fine as well.

Impounded
    i run Fram. is the Amsoil that much better?

Thread Information