Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Ever been stopped by police for

This is a discussion on Ever been stopped by police for within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Anyone know if 2 plates are required for historic vehicles? I have a single 1967 plate that I can register ...

Blue
    1967 Firebird

Anyone know if 2 plates are required for historic vehicles? I have a single 1967 plate that I can register if it doesn't conflict with the existing numbering system.

Johnny mac
    my67.net

Future Super Trooper Mr. CarelessAndImprudent's Avatar
    '69 Camaro

I used to have mine in the dash til I got tired of it flying into the backseat everytime I hit second.

Future Super Trooper Mr. CarelessAndImprudent's Avatar
    '69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mac
    Anyone know if 2 plates are required for historic vehicles? I have a single 1967 plate that I can register if it doesn't conflict with the existing numbering system.

Johnny mac
    my67.net

If only one was required when it was issued then one is legal.

Black/Gold....Now Sold...
    10th Anny. Firehawk #001

I got a $30 ticket for no front plate in downtown Denver. Took my son to lunch, came back, and it was under the wiper blade. So I figured as unique as my car is, it would continue to draw attention, and put the plate on the front. Of course, I went ahead and put the smoke colored covers on both plates as well. One week later, I got pulled over. What for? Seems they had just passed a new law in Colorado making the dark tinted plate covers illegal as well! Guess their photo radars couldn't read the numbers on plates with them in place. He gave me a warning only, but told me the ticket would be $167 next time, so I should change them out... which I did to the clear ones.

It's all about the money folks....

Black
    2002 Trans Am - Firehawk

I, too, can add to those who have gotten a ticket for no front plate. I took my TA to the dealership to see if they could tell me how to remove the front bird and I asked if they knew whether or not I needed a mount for a plate...not one person knew how to answer my questions.

No assistance from the Whittier, CA Pontiac Dealer... very sad.

In an effort to get this ticket removed, I found out that the front bird logo will come out, from the top, by pushing it down and removing the teeth from their inserts...the bottom didn't come off that easy. The bottom of the bird logo busted...like the holes of a piece of paper that have been ripped from a 3 ring binder.

Has anyone seen something like this: An old Knight Rider episode had the rear plate revolve to an alternate license plate. I was hoping there was something for the front plate, so you/we could keep the bird logo, flip a switch, and show the plate when needed.

Oh well....

SA

2000pontiac6
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.7 Reasons View Post
    Yeah Virginia is the worst state when it comes to tickets.
    i havent driven in virginia but i dont know how any state ccan compare to jersey... Everything seems to be illegal on a car here

I dont understand the purpose for a front mounted license plate. Cops going to read it in their rear view? On coming traffic? Bull fucking shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Honboy1 View Post
    Off duty?? I would sit and watch!!! As far as on duty... If the public was watching, I would have to at least stop you to make it look like I'm doing my job. If you were sober and had a valid license, I would surely give you a break. Ten over the speed limit aint shit though. I don't give speeding tickets unless they're going over 15 mph over the posted limit. I focus on shitheads with no license and no insurance, not gearheads!
    Hmm, thats the best answer Ive heard a cop say.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

When I lived in Colorado they were really strick about having the plate on the front. Texas is pretty cool about letting you off with a warning. But kentucky is the best cause they dont require them.

Artic White
    2002 Ws6

3 Tickets in a month for it made me go ahead and put it on.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Damn I live in Myrtle Beach SC. Many things here are illegal but no seems to give a shit. I never heard anyone getting busted for BS like no cat converter, or the loud exhuast ect. Im not even sure if there is a law for having a front licence plate but that sounds pretty gay. But we do need more cops like HONBOY1 becasue alot of the cops here care alot about the speed limit and gives out a lot of tickets for gay things.

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Up here the police in my town, police always give me dirty looks. I think that is only half the reason. The other half is I look younger than I am. So when I park it at a parts store, ect. I put my front plate proped up on the dash. The police in Anchorage don't even bother to look. If I have to ever put it on I am going to order one of the clear covers and paint it lightly so you can still kind of see the plate behind it.

11 Second Club 11.34 bigboykilroy's Avatar

Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

I live in ohio and i put my plate on under the car on the air defector. The Ohio State Highyway Patrole told me as long as it is visable to on coming traffic. Have had it that 5 years and no trouble.

Red
    1999 TA | 2001 SW Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Honboy1 View Post
    Off duty?? I would sit and watch!!! As far as on duty... If the public was watching, I would have to at least stop you to make it look like I'm doing my job. If you were sober and had a valid license, I would surely give you a break. Ten over the speed limit aint shit though. I don't give speeding tickets unless they're going over 15 mph over the posted limit. I focus on shitheads with no license and no insurance, not gearheads!
    We need more cops that own fbody's! The best we have around here is a Sheriff with a Camaro Z28. All the cops here hate the fbody owners. There was a point in time where it was ridiculous. Actually I have two questions for you.
    1. If a cop sat out front of your house in a lawn chair reading a newspaper is there anything I can do about that?
    2. If a cop is going around bragging to my co-workers about how he sat out front of my house all the time(which is a lie, it only happened once) and told them I was so scared to come outside and drive and so forth, is that allowed?
    Yes these both happened to me because the cops around here are very childish.

Last of the Breed Pewter02Formula's Avatar

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by My2ndls1 View Post
    I live in ohio and I don't have front plates on either one of my cars. Going on just over two years now and no ticket... wish me luck...
    Consider yourself lucky... and you probably just jinxed yourself by bragging about it.

Quote Originally Posted by boone94 View Post
    wish me luck.....no front plates, i refuse to put it on.....and no tickets.....most ohio cops only pull you over going 15 over....
    I had my car for less than 3 weeks before a cop told me I'd have to put a plate there. He was monitoring some construction at a rather busy intersection and I happened to stop in traffic right where he was standing. Older fella, real nice tho. He walked around the front of the car, looking down, and I thought "aw, crap."

He came up to the window and said "it's not often anymore that you see works of art on the road." I laughed & agreed with him. He said "you know you'll have to put a front plate on there, dont' ya?" I said "yeah, but the temp tags are still on it ... honestly I was planning on leaving it off until an officer stopped me for it." He said "I don't blame you, but just so you know, that'd be about a $90 fine, depending on how long you've had plates."

So as soon as I got the plates, I had to swallow some pride and put it on there.

I did get a nice dark smoke-colored cover for it, though.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS

I actually bought my SS from a cop, and he never had a front plate on it so I'm not putting it on either.

Black
    2002 Trans Am - Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by Pewter02Formula View Post
    I did get a nice dark smoke-colored cover for it, though.
    Pewter, where did you find a smoke colored cover? Or did you paint one of the clear ones from "Afterthoughts.com"?

SA

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

No front plate requirement here in Indiana hooray. I do hear about our represntatives talking about doing that tho, every other year or so. What a stupid idea. They always say it would be easier to catch bank robbers, or other bad guys, because it gives them another chance to see the plate.

black,blue,red
    97 lt4 ws6,98firehawk,91z

i run one with a clear front bird cover and it looks good

Last of the Breed Pewter02Formula's Avatar

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothAl View Post
    Pewter, where did you find a smoke colored cover? Or did you paint one of the clear ones from "Afterthoughts.com"?

SA
    Found a set at the local Pep Boys. It doesn't have the Firebird logo on it like the Afterthoughts Auto one, but it's a nice durable, transparent plastic that's been tinted with a "smoky" look.

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

i have been pulled over 4-5 times now for the plate. i never got a ticket but i put it on anyways dont want a dwi for my front plate

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information