Is it even worth doing this...?

This is a discussion on Is it even worth doing this...? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Ok heres the deal. I have a 1995 Firebird (coupe) v6 3.4 5 speed. I paid about almost $4,000 back ...

Black
    1995 Firebird

Is it even worth doing this...?

Ok heres the deal.

I have a 1995 Firebird (coupe) v6 3.4 5 speed.

I paid about almost $4,000 back in Aug of 2006 with taxes/title/etc. Was a great daily driver for college blah blah you get the point.

I've always wanted a 1998-2002 body style Trans Am so over the past few months i've been collecting parts to do the whole conversion. I'm now short of only needing to buy misc brackets/bolts and when I do that I will have spent short of $2k for the whole conversion front/back that includes a custom WS9 hood i'm waiting on. None the less I've got an INCREDIBLE deal on the parts i've bought (especially the brand new GM parts fenders/bumper cover/honeycomb tail light and hatch/door and so on for just $630 from one guy).

So basically at this if I go with this the conversion (front end, rear is done) of the body appearance of the T/A i'll have spent $6k for my car which btw every single part I have is black as the car is so no need to paint. But that leaves the engine part.....I bet i'd spend 2-3k on doing a ls1 conversion. So basically 9k total is what i'll spent on this car.

Should I just re-sell my parts (well not the ws9 hood) to get my money back and save up for a T/A around that price range or am I being cost effective by basically building a T/A??? Is it even possible to find a 6 speed T/A for under 10k as around here I don't ever see that. Just trying to get some opinions as i'm not sure what to do.

NBM
    99 TA

If it is a car that you would plan on keeping for a long time and driving then go for it. Especially if you are going to do all the work yourself.

You probably could find a TA in nice shape for 10k or less, and if it were me... i would sell all the stuff and just buy a TA.

I wouldn't say it is a waste of time or money to do the conversion, but things you might want to think about are: resale value - will be damn near impossible to get your money back if you ever sell it. Also you may end up getting yourself into a huge time consuming project.

If the car is in great shape as is, you may be able to get close to 4k for it as is, and then sell all the other parts and get a true LS1 car... but if you do decide on the swap - make sure you take lots of pics and post em up!

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Sell it all and buy a V8 car you'll be better off in the long run. JMO
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Pewter Metallic
    2002 WS6

Sell it and buy a 98-02. Even after the conversion it will still be a six banger and those get old fast!

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

+1 to selling everything and buying a 98+ LS1. It wont be much higher in cost from what you are doing, will be easier, and will have better resell, and you will have what you've wanted and then some.

I see Yello and I like it 02cetransam's Avatar

yellow
    02 Collector Trans Am

sell it and buy a v8

Black
    2000/Chevrolet/Camaro SS

I agree. Selling the car and getting a true TA is the way to go. I've changed V8's out before, and it is easy if you know what you are doing but very time consuming. An LS1 is a major project. Plus, it won't be a true TA, and clones are always frowned upon. I was thinking of doing the same with my old '85 Camaro, but I decided I was too busy and would be better off sinking the cash into the '00 SS. I donated the '85 to a friend that is going to make a track car out of it. Some 6 parts wont do it for a 8, example: rear end, etc., and you are probably biting on a major project. Sell the car is my suggestion, and I guarantee your brain and knuckles will be saved of many aches.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

you might have some decent luck finding a wrecked 98-02 t/a that just needs body work for less than $4k. Try that route.

Black
    2001 Trans Am Ws6

I am of the opinion that you will be much better off selling everything and just buying a 98-02 TA with 90+k, you should be able to get a good deal somewhere.

Black
    1995 Firebird

Well seems like you guys pretty much answered and then some to what I was thinking, I think i'll save myself the time and headache of doing the rest of the body appearance the fun task of the ls1 engine swap.

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

what a bummer, i just spent 9K for a whole car needs a few little things but it's a beauty.... if your reading thanks again jeff.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

no because the resale will be less than what you have in it not counting the time. if it were me and thats if it were paid for the 2 grand you spent + the car as a trade in would be my home run cause the payments would be worth it to me for a 300 horse + v8 wheel spinnin hell of a time. i wouldnt care if my car looked like a primer gray hoopty as long as i can push that right pedal down and hear and feel that v8 power pulling me back in my seat as i listen to that sweet exhaust note ahh that beautiful music. this is where you and i may differ because when im in traffic the first thing i look for when i see another f-body or mustang has nothing to do with looks.

i'm looking for an 01-02 ws6 and i cant find one under 13k with less than 75000miles on it. unless you dont care about the miles then i think you are going to be hard pressed to find one under 10k. i would say sell your extra parts and hold on to your car and save some money to but a v8. jmo

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

finding a low mile car for under 10k is going to be rili hard and i can tell you ebay is not going to be much help thay like to go for big $. from what i have sean its going to be more like 15k and up. good luck with what ever you go with

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

there's plenty of people on here finding firebirds with less than 50k for around 10-12k

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

sell it all and buy my SS

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

I agree with everyone else, your idea is not a good one.

Its a car man, don't get all sentimental about making it something its not. Unless this Firebird talks to you and is your friend like Herbie, I'd sell it and apply all that cash to buying the real thing, instead of creating a numbers don't match unsellable weird conversion thing that's going to constantly have something going wrong with it.

I an 02 trans am M6 with 52000mi that im buying for 13000 in awesome shape. Keep looking, took me a few months to find this one.

pewter
    00 TA m6 vert

if you already got the body parts, try to find a salvagable, crashed LS1 car... I ran across a guy that bought a 99 T/A A4 (120k) with front end damage (needed hood, bumper, d fender, and a rim) for $2k. Just start calling junkyards and checking online. They're out there.

I did a V6 to V8 conversion on my 88 camaro... not fun, there's alot of misc parts that aren't compatible; and they add up $$$ quick

Thread Information