Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

engine swap

This is a discussion on engine swap within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by bigboykilroy Well if you are really interested in this. it would probibly cost you @ 6,000.00 to ...

  1. #21
    LS1 chosen son lemons12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    tennessee
    Posts
    2,010

    TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboykilroy View Post
    Well if you are really interested in this. it would probibly cost you @ 6,000.00 to do. I have done a V6 to V8 conversion. But going to a LS1 you need to swap the whole engine and body wire harness for the new engine. 99+ going to a ls1 from a v6 is easier. 98 is its own year. and LT1 to LS1 needs the whole cars body harness updated. If you can get a wrecked 99+ car that would be the best route to take to get all the parts you need to swap it over.

    hes right on target... i just didnt feel like typing that much...

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    LA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    568

    Grey
    2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboykilroy View Post
    Well if you are really interested in this. it would probibly cost you @ 6,000.00 to do. I have done a V6 to V8 conversion. But going to a LS1 you need to swap the whole engine and body wire harness for the new engine. 99+ going to a ls1 from a v6 is easier. 98 is its own year. and LT1 to LS1 needs the whole cars body harness updated. If you can get a wrecked 99+ car that would be the best route to take to get all the parts you need to swap it over.
    Nah you can easily get a whole engine/trans with computer and everything for 3k, i have a guy i know who parts out salvaged/recovered and will sell a whole eng/tranny with ECM for 3300, most of the ones on ebay also include the computer, just have to get a new k-member and your pretty much set.

    Im keeping my eyes out for a ls2/m6, hopefully the prices will go down with the LS3 coming out, so im hoping to scoop one for around 6k

  3. #23
    LS1 chosen son lemons12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    tennessee
    Posts
    2,010

    TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

    you need to do your research before you go off making statements... i thought i ha ddone mine... bought an engine and stuff... then more research and i have found out that it is VERY expensive..... there is a bunch of small things that they dont mention that you need.. trust me... i have pages of parts that you have to have... thats just a 99 to 99 v6 to ls1 swap... not different years and especially not lt1 model to ls1...

  4. #24
    11 Second Club 11.34 bigboykilroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Streetsboro, Ohio
    Posts
    294

    Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

    You are correct 3300.00 JUST FOR THE ENGINE, TRANS, ECM, AND THE ENGINE HARNESS!! From his year to a 99+ LS1 he needs K member, Rad, engine compartment harness, and the engine harness, Car harness, Body control Harness, Air Bad sensors, Fuel pump, possible the updated fuel lines. If you got a PCM with traction control, you need to make sure you have a series 3 carrier or your abs ont work, ABS computer, cruise control computer, AIR Pump. Steering shaft. Inst Cluster, and there is still more... There are alot of misc things you are forgetting. Trust me I have done it. You can hack your way through it and "make it work" . If you are doing a fully caged car, with a carb, then you are in the ball park to convert it. BUT if you want to convert a LT1 over to a fully functional "stock" 99+ LS1 you are going to be closer to $6,0000 (that is also adding some "needed items to the LS1 build like, headers, y pipe, and a few other body upgrades that should be done. If you can convert fully functional stock LS1 cars for 3300.00 and under then you should start going into business.

  5. #25
    LS1 chosen son lemons12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    tennessee
    Posts
    2,010

    TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboykilroy View Post
    You are correct 3300.00 JUST FOR THE ENGINE, TRANS, ECM, AND THE ENGINE HARNESS!! From his year to a 99+ LS1 he needs K member, Rad, engine compartment harness, and the engine harness, Car harness, Body control Harness, Air Bad sensors, Fuel pump, possible the updated fuel lines. If you got a PCM with traction control, you need to make sure you have a series 3 carrier or your abs ont work, ABS computer, cruise control computer, AIR Pump. Steering shaft. Inst Cluster, and there is still more... There are alot of misc things you are forgetting. Trust me I have done it. You can hack your way through it and "make it work" . If you are doing a fully caged car, with a carb, then you are in the ball park to convert it. BUT if you want to convert a LT1 over to a fully functional "stock" 99+ LS1 you are going to be closer to $6,0000 (that is also adding some "needed items to the LS1 build like, headers, y pipe, and a few other body upgrades that should be done. If you can convert fully functional stock LS1 cars for 3300.00 and under then you should start going into business.

    not possible updated fuel lines... you have to have them.... 97 vette lines are the best to go with if your going to do it... and like he said.. the list goes on and on and on... people usually just list the main things you need... comp. rails, k member.... they dont list the other things that add up to be a few grand.. cause yes they are small things... but 60 bucks here and 40 bucks there.... its a pretty penny...

  6. #26
    11 Second Club 11.34 bigboykilroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Streetsboro, Ohio
    Posts
    294

    Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

    yup, I hear ya, I have seen some people, try to re-use the old lines by trying to flare the end of the old lines and using a hose clamp or 2, dosent work well with 30+ psi. Its even more $$$ if you upgrade the lines to braded hose and add an external pump to it.

    Ill say it again, if you want to upgrade a LT1 to a LS1..get a wrecked LS1 car and then do your swap, I bet you will call me and say "thank you sir ... may I have another."

  7. #27
    11 Second Club 11.34 bigboykilroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Streetsboro, Ohio
    Posts
    294

    Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

    I almost forgot the best part of all....You will most likely need a computer tune/reprogram as well. Cuz most likely the engine/trans PCM you get from a yard will probibly be programed for a different ratio of gear then the Lt1 has. It is possible that you would get lucky and have the same ratio that the LS1 PCM you get will have, but most likely not. Yes it can also be fixed with a hypertech or diablo sport, but again thats about 400.00-500.00 just there.

  8. #28
    LS1 chosen son lemons12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    tennessee
    Posts
    2,010

    TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

    haha ive never heard of that one... fuel lines are a must... dont rig it... buyer a honda before you do that shit haha..... people today.. i just dont think people realize how much it costs... but back on topic... if your planning on doing it... buy a 99+ sixer and do that swap then... if you have a longblock.... you will only need about 3,500 more....

  9. #29
    11 Second Club 11.34 bigboykilroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Streetsboro, Ohio
    Posts
    294

    Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM


  10. #30
    ls1ftw tigersport14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tulsa
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,035

    NBM
    98 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Not even.

    A complete, brand new LS1 is $4860 from GM Parts direct, and you can get a complete LS2 for $5721. Not bad deals at all
    ah ok.. thats for the input bud =)

  11. #31
    Member Justin93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CANFIELD, OHIO
    Age
    31
    Posts
    654

    PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

    Thanks for this Great info guys! Im still buying the motor and Stuff. But I may keep the new motor Have it as a spare and sell the 93 T/A and Buy this nice black 00 WS6 6spd my neighbor just put for sale today! Ive been drooling over the Car since I moved up here in 03!

  12. #32
    11 Second Club 11.34 bigboykilroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Streetsboro, Ohio
    Posts
    294

    Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

    cool...just remember.....Drive it like you stole it......

  13. #33
    Member Justin93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CANFIELD, OHIO
    Age
    31
    Posts
    654

    PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboykilroy View Post
    cool...just remember.....Drive it like you stole it......
    Haha I just cant wait to mess with my buddy who thinks his Fox body is the shit! not much done to it besides headers and exhaust and trick flow manifold. He's always making fun of GM. I plan on Earning my first pony kill against him!

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    LA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    568

    Grey
    2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin93 View Post
    Thanks for this Great info guys! Im still buying the motor and Stuff. But I may keep the new motor Have it as a spare and sell the 93 T/A and Buy this nice black 00 WS6 6spd my neighbor just put for sale today! Ive been drooling over the Car since I moved up here in 03!

    Keep the motor and put it in a first gen 68 camaro SS.

  15. #35
    Member Justin93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CANFIELD, OHIO
    Age
    31
    Posts
    654

    PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

    Quote Originally Posted by ls1bandit View Post
    Keep the motor and put it in a first gen 68 camaro SS.
    That would be hot as hell!!! but I like the looks of the late models a little bit better. I called my neighbor he only wants 8k for it and its got 53k on the clock. I told him consider it sold. Im going to try and find a junk yard lt1 for the 93 to get it running, yank the hotchkis suspension off and swap it on the 00, then sell the 93.

  16. #36
    LS1 chosen son lemons12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    tennessee
    Posts
    2,010

    TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin93 View Post
    Thanks for this Great info guys! Im still buying the motor and Stuff. But I may keep the new motor Have it as a spare and sell the 93 T/A and Buy this nice black 00 WS6 6spd my neighbor just put for sale today! Ive been drooling over the Car since I moved up here in 03!



    53k miles... 8 thousand dollars.... whats wrong with the car... hows the title... thats REALLY low... id make sure you checked into that one first...

  17. #37
    Member Justin93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CANFIELD, OHIO
    Age
    31
    Posts
    654

    PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

    Quote Originally Posted by lemons12 View Post
    53k miles... 8 thousand dollars.... whats wrong with the car... hows the title... thats REALLY low... id make sure you checked into that one first...

    The title is clean, its always been garage kept, He did tell me it was hit in the rear once back in 01 but it was at 20 mph and only the bumper cracked. Honestly whoever did the body work did a good job cause all the lines are tight and match. I thought the same about the price but Im taking to my friend whose a gm tech at a pontiac chevy dealer up here to go over it. If there is anything wrong he will find it. Fingers crossed this will be the right car if not oh well back to looking around

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Engine swap
    By FOSTER21 in forum Corvette
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-11-2008, 10:13 PM
  2. engine swap
    By larry111069 in forum General Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-20-2007, 11:37 PM
  3. Engine swap and computer swap
    By mrmiatanut in forum Computer & Tuning
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-08-2007, 06:10 PM
  4. Engine Swap from v6 / v8...
    By j_j_mccoy RS in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-28-2007, 04:23 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •