Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Engine Build pics and specs

This is a discussion on Engine Build pics and specs within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; turbo makes more power than supercharger?...

  1. #21
    Senior Member M-Ten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Pete, Florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,210

    Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

    turbo makes more power than supercharger?

  2. #22
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    turbo makes more power than supercharger?


    Supercharger uses the motor to spin it, turbo uses exhaust gases.
    Thus, the supercharger causes a parasitic loss.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Redphoenix1998's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    San Jose
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,897

    Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

    But it sounds so badass! Well, then again, so does the spooling and blow off

  4. #24
    Senior Member M-Ten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Pete, Florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,210

    Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

    hmm wow i didn't know that.. which would be better for a daily driver? (less maintenance)?

  5. #25
    Senior Member M-Ten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Pete, Florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,210

    Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

    Quote Originally Posted by Redphoenix1998 View Post
    But it sounds so badass! Well, then again, so does the spooling and blow off
    yeah i love the supercharger whine but i have to admit the blow off on turbo's sound awesome too

  6. #26
    someday joejenkinsglass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,120

    green
    98 formula

    Quote Originally Posted by Redphoenix1998 View Post
    I ran Engine analyzer and damn! Lets see here, with a supercharger and the intercooler, custom blower cam, full bolt ons, it's predicting 768rwhp. With the large single turbo, T80, it's predicting 1128rwhp, with the twin turbo setup, it's looking like 998rwhp. Choices choices. I'm playing with the cam specs as well and I've managed to squeeze out a good amount. I love this program! I know its pretty accurate cause I used it to build up my old engine. Predicted 560 rwhp and ended up putting 575 rwhp. The only thing that makes me frown away from the turbo systems though is the maintenance required on those things!
    sounds like a cool program
    really a turbo is very durable just gotta keep stuff from getting in it and they are the most common boosters from the factory the main challenge is getting it all under the hood and still retaining the a/c mine is rear mount now but after I get my new shortblock this weekend I will start fabbing for front mount

  7. #27
    Senior Member Redphoenix1998's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    San Jose
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,897

    Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

    See the thing about a big turbo is the spool time to get to boost. A supercharger is on all the time. You can actually vary the power output with a turbo via an electronic boost controller to control boost levels. With a supercharger, a smaller pulley will up your boost. Most centrifugal mount s/c's useair and don't require it's own oil chamber as it pulls it from the engine itself via the oil pan. A turbocharger needs to be cooled via an intercooler and it's own oil supply. So you do have to change the oil in these things. Turbo failures are usually because the bearings burn out

  8. #28
    Senior Member Redphoenix1998's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    San Jose
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,897

    Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

    ha a/c, what a/c! haven't had it in for 3 years now

  9. #29
    Senior Member Redphoenix1998's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    San Jose
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,897

    Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

    I'm leaning towards a turbo but I like the ati procharger setup offered by this company

  10. #30
    someday joejenkinsglass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,120

    green
    98 formula

    Quote Originally Posted by Redphoenix1998 View Post
    See the thing about a big turbo is the spool time to get to boost. A supercharger is on all the time. You can actually vary the power output with a turbo via an electronic boost controller to control boost levels. With a supercharger, a smaller pulley will up your boost. Most centrifugal mount s/c's useair and don't require it's own oil chamber as it pulls it from the engine itself via the oil pan. A turbocharger needs to be cooled via an intercooler and it's own oil supply. So you do have to change the oil in these things. Turbo failures are usually because the bearings burn out
    the turbo gets oiled from the engine oil just like the supercharger and they both benifit from an intercooler

  11. #31
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    hmm wow i didn't know that.. which would be better for a daily driver? (less maintenance)?
    N/A

  12. #32
    Senior Member Redphoenix1998's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    San Jose
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,897

    Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

    Yes they are oiled via engine oil but they have their own oiling capacity to oil the bearings inside the turbo. Then again, that's what I've seen on most big turbo's in my area. I'm sure there are other types out there. But from what I've seen, most ball bearing turbos have their own oil capacity. Yes, I know they are intercooled as well. But the piping can be a nightmare as well. No matter, I wouldn't mind at all. Plus, there's no chance of belt slippage or breakage like a s/c

  13. #33
    Senior Member Redphoenix1998's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    San Jose
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,897

    Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

    N/A is the way to go but there's something about forced induction.

  14. #34
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Redphoenix1998 View Post
    N/A is the way to go but there's something about forced induction.
    I agree 100%.

    But when it comes to reliability...N/A wins.

  15. #35
    Senior Member Redphoenix1998's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    San Jose
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,897

    Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am


  16. #36
    someday joejenkinsglass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,120

    green
    98 formula

    Quote Originally Posted by Redphoenix1998 View Post
    Yes they are oiled via engine oil but they have their own oiling capacity to oil the bearings inside the turbo. Then again, that's what I've seen on most big turbo's in my area. I'm sure there are other types out there. But from what I've seen, most ball bearing turbos have their own oil capacity. Yes, I know they are intercooled as well. But the piping can be a nightmare as well. No matter, I wouldn't mind at all. Plus, there's no chance of belt slippage or breakage like a s/c
    lots of pros and cons basically the belt driven charger is a turbo ran off a belt the inside is very similar to a turbo

  17. #37
    Senior Member M-Ten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Pete, Florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,210

    Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    N/A
    yeah, i'll probably stay N/A because of that, but i was asking which is more reliable and will require less/cheaper maintenance, turbo or supercharger?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 500CI Chevy LS1 Engine Build - How To Build A 500C
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2009, 08:10 PM
  2. Here’s the In-Depth Specs for the LS1 Engine.
    By Elimin8tor Z28 in forum General Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-22-2008, 10:22 PM
  3. Small Block Chevy Engine - Build Your First Engine - Tech
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-30-2008, 08:50 PM
  4. Looking for 2001, WS6 Engine Specs.
    By midi_2001 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-10-2007, 09:04 AM
  5. 2000 LS1 Engine Specs
    By Terrell in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-17-2006, 06:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •