Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

Driver side mirror teardrop assembly loose.....

I have a 2000 TransAm WS6 with electric mirrors. I was washing the bird and guess I pushed too hard to get behind the rear view mirror on the drivers side and it popped loose at the top...the whole assembly was about 1/2 inch out and didn't really notice til I was driving down the road and saw it shaking really bad. Upon further inspection, I noticed the aluminum piece that the assembly is attached to was broken. Here's what I did to fix it. I took the black plastic cover off the inside of the window, right there at the corner near the small defrost vent with a phillips screwdriver. I then drilled a hole in the aluminum piece that the assembly is attached to...it has three studs coming through with nuts on them. But I drilled the hole in line right where the piece was broken. I drilled it a little larger than the screw I used so that it would not screw itself in. I then stuck another smaller drill bit through the already drilled hole and drilled the piece that was broken. I gently pulled the mirror assembly in while screwing the screw into the broken piece. It pulled itself in and is nice and tight again. Easy fix that cost nothing but about 20 minutes. I did not want to have to get a whole new assembly, get it painted and reinstall. This was so easy it was almost ridiculous!! If you are having that same issue, this is very easy and very cost effective!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That works!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I'm curious to see how long that will hold under vibration. Keep us posted.

Red

Hopefully I drilled the hole small enough to provide a good tight lasting fit. I pushed down on the mirror assembly and tried moving it but it held. If it rattles loose from vibration, I will repost.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    I have a 2000 TransAm WS6 with electric mirrors. I was washing the bird and guess I pushed too hard to get behind the rear view mirror on the drivers side and it popped loose at the top...the whole assembly was about 1/2 inch out and didn't really notice til I was driving down the road and saw it shaking really bad. Upon further inspection, I noticed the aluminum piece that the assembly is attached to was broken. Here's what I did to fix it. I took the black plastic cover off the inside of the window, right there at the corner near the small defrost vent with a phillips screwdriver. I then drilled a hole in the aluminum piece that the assembly is attached to...it has three studs coming through with nuts on them. But I drilled the hole in line right where the piece was broken. I drilled it a little larger than the screw I used so that it would not screw itself in. I then stuck another smaller drill bit through the already drilled hole and drilled the piece that was broken. I gently pulled the mirror assembly in while screwing the screw into the broken piece. It pulled itself in and is nice and tight again. Easy fix that cost nothing but about 20 minutes. I did not want to have to get a whole new assembly, get it painted and reinstall. This was so easy it was almost ridiculous!! If you are having that same issue, this is very easy and very cost effective!
    hey quick question man, what is your vin number or when was your ta built? just curious bc my ta is also a red 00' ws6 m6

Red

Hey Night, what numbers or letters in the vin tell you when it was built?

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

lol just look inside the door, it tells you a build date of the vehicle. the vin will not tell you when it was built. i am just trying to see how close your car was in production to mine

Red

Manufacture date 06/00.
    Last edited by herculesrider1; 11-02-2012 at 07:46 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I would remove your VIN # from a public forum.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Manufacture date 06/00. VIN.
    damn they are pretty close mine is 04/00

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

ya thats what i was thinking. ya i put my vin on there and immediately took it off forgot about that...never know whos watching

Red

Thanks 35th, had wondered if that was something I wanted to do. But when you think about it, anyone can walk up to your vehicle and look at the vin through your windshield. If it was all that much of an issue, I think the manufacturer would have hidden it a little better. Thanks for the caution though....

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Thanks 35th, had wondered if that was something I wanted to do. But when you think about it, anyone can walk up to your vehicle and look at the vin through your windshield. If it was all that much of an issue, I think the manufacturer would have hidden it a little better. Thanks for the caution though....
    ya me to i had it up earlier...but like you said...anyone could walk up to it if they wanted.....i detailed the shit out of my bird

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

A key can be made from the VIN. You can easily cover it in your car too. Mine stays in a garage so I don't worry too much. Just looking out
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Red

Thanks 35th. Appreciate it man! Nightmare...that looks awesome man...good job.

Red

Quote Originally Posted by RedFenix_68 View Post
    ya me to i had it up earlier...but like you said...anyone could walk up to it if they wanted.....i detailed the shit out of my bird
    Hey man, did you paint your headlight covers black? Maybe it's just the lighting...if so, I think it looks pretty good, if not it still looks good!!!!!

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Hey man, did you paint your headlight covers black? Maybe it's just the lighting...if so, I think it looks pretty good, if not it still looks good!!!!!
    haha no. i completely removed the entire headlight assemblies so i can put the metal gear in the motors over the plastic ones. ya i have been going crazy with the detailing since it is garaged up for the winter

Red

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RedFenix_68 View Post
    haha no. i completely removed the entire headlight assemblies so i can put the metal gear in the motors over the plastic ones. ya i have been going crazy with the detailing since it is garaged up for the winter
    You can't beat the metal gears. I have not had a minute of trouble after I replaced mine. Did you get the kit with the T bar and spacer guides? Man, I wish I had a garage to keep my bird in...I'd be doing the same thing....Mine needs window motors on both the passenger and driver sides....but that is another post.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

You can't beat the metal gears. I have not had a minute of trouble after I replaced mine. Did you get the kit with the T bar and spacer guides? Man, I wish I had a garage to keep my bird in...I'd be doing the same thing....Mine needs window motors on both the passenger and driver sides....but that is another post.
    ya man its been nice having a garage for this thing considering i havent had one for it in 5 years i have owned it and i finally have one now. And no i have not purchased the kit yet but very soon. just procrastinating honestly. ya my passenger window was getting a little slugish, and is going to need to be replaced in the future

Red

Hey Night, Rodney Dickman makes a really good kit for the headlight motor actuators. He includes a T bar that goes on the back of the assembly which gives it more ridgidity and also spacer guides that keep it tracking right. Along with epoxy and even sends you a popscicle stick to mix the two part epoxy with....can't go wrong with that kit. Just make sure you clean it up really good and don't get any grease, which is supplied, on the edges where you are going to put the epoxy to glue the cover back on. There are stickies on site that line it out very nicely for you. I think I put some pics on when I did mine. I love this site.....

Thread Information