Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Drive it like u stole it! newguy WS6's Avatar

Black
    06' GTO

Drag Strip Performance

What kind of times are you guys getting out of your cars (those you race them).I have taken mine to two differnt strips here in N.C in the last few weeks and have gotten what I thought were pretty good time slips (Compered to my old Mustangs) Im running 8.20's and 8.30's pretty consistant with trap speeds between 85-89 MPH. Is that kind of on Par with others? My car is a stock 02 WS-6 M6 with 28,000 miles on it. I have put a K&N Filter, SLP Air Box and gutted the cats. I have also done the throttle body bypass I have read about and removed the screen fom my MAF. I was wondering because I have had several people that were impressed and a few that said "yeah thats just ok".

Let me know

Thanks to all,
    Steve

black
    2001 Pontiac Trans am

1/8th don't know. 1/4 was 13.4 at 106 with a lid only at Rockingham, most M-6's (lid)trapped 106 to 109. 89 in the 1/8th seems high, I trapped at 89mph (1/8) running in the high 11's the 1/4.
    2001 Trans Am WS-6 A4
    AFRs,Cam,Headers,Exhaust,Lid,BGRA,ASP,Vig 3200,Glock 19
    11.55 @ 117mph

Red
    02 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Yea man that is a real good time in the 1/8th mile, especially for a M6. I have Loudmouth,Airbox, freemod, MAF screen removal and my best time is 8.57 with my 02 A4. Trap speed usually anywhere from 83-89mph. So u definatly might want to find out if u have a LS6. 15% of cars in 02 came with LS6's. I personally have seen only 1, which my friend had in his 02 Z28. Ran a best 8.60, spinnin half way down the track, almost bone stock.
    [COLOR=black]I Peddle Posters

Black
    06' GTO

How do I go about knowing if I have an LS6? I have had a few people tell me that that is a possibility..

Any help would be appreciated.
    Ramairgod- how do you like the loudmouth exhaust?Im thinking about going that route next..

Thanks
    Steve

SOM
    2002 Formula Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by newguy WS6
    How do I go about knowing if I have an LS6? I have had a few people tell me that that is a possibility..

Any help would be appreciated.
    Ramairgod- how do you like the loudmouth exhaust?Im thinking about going that route next..

Thanks
    Steve
    Apparently there have always been two version of the LS1: One built in Montupet, and one built in Nemak, Mexico. They use two different methods in creating the block, and apparently the Nemak block is a stronger, more performance oriented block. (The material properties were about 10% higher/stronger. Nemak uses a low-pressure precision fan process, more high performance oriented.). When the Z06 Corvette came out, GM decided to use the Nemak plant to build the LS6 block, since they built stronger blocks. So Nemak built LS6's, while Montupet built LS1's. Since there were so many LS6 blocks made, several made it into F-bodies. Numbers from GM are that about 10-15% of 2001 cars had LS6 blocks, and 25% of 2002 cars did. To confirm if your 2001-2002 F-body has an LS6 block, grab a mirror and a flashlight. Open the hood and head over to the driver's side to try and see the back of the left-hand deck, above the transmission flange. A cast-in #12561168 denotes the LS6 block. And if you aren't able to see the number, you may be able to tell by the block's luster-the Montupet plant cast a shinier block, the Nemak plant made the duller block. The Z06 block (LS6 block) is not only much stronger, it also has 87% better ventilation between bays, which equates to less pumping losses at high RPM's

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by my1973form
    Apparently there have always been two version of the LS1: One built in Montupet, and one built in Nemak, Mexico. They use two different methods in creating the block, and apparently the Nemak block is a stronger, more performance oriented block. (The material properties were about 10% higher/stronger. Nemak uses a low-pressure precision fan process, more high performance oriented.). When the Z06 Corvette came out, GM decided to use the Nemak plant to build the LS6 block, since they built stronger blocks. So Nemak built LS6's, while Montupet built LS1's. Since there were so many LS6 blocks made, several made it into F-bodies. Numbers from GM are that about 10-15% of 2001 cars had LS6 blocks, and 25% of 2002 cars did. To confirm if your 2001-2002 F-body has an LS6 block, grab a mirror and a flashlight. Open the hood and head over to the driver's side to try and see the back of the left-hand deck, above the transmission flange. A cast-in #12561168 denotes the LS6 block. And if you aren't able to see the number, you may be able to tell by the block's luster-the Montupet plant cast a shinier block, the Nemak plant made the duller block. The Z06 block (LS6 block) is not only much stronger, it also has 87% better ventilation between bays, which equates to less pumping losses at high RPM's

Is there anyother way to tell if you have the ls6 block?? I have a 02 WS6 Collectors Edition and i always thought it was alittle quicker then normal WS6s but wasnt sure. I did take a look at the block and it appears to be a dulled grey color... Not sure if that denotes it as the LS6 block but i couldnt really get the casting number could you give me better info on how to look for the casting number because it would be nice to get ironclad info!!

Black
    06' GTO

I took your advise, however I could not get to the left bank thru the hood. I jacked the car up got under it and I do indeed have those numbers 12561168 on the block right below where the head meets the block. So it looks like I have a LS6... other than what you have mentioned above is there anything else to gain? extra power? Im assuming that this is just a different block similar to a A4 block on the old fox body mustangs. Not more power, Just a better built block...Does this make my car extremely rare? Just somedumb questions.. forgive me im new to this GM stuff.

Also I noticed that the transmission has Tremec all over it. Did they make the transmission for this car or is this maybe something that was added? Im assuming that it is factory, but I thought that Borg -Warner made the trannys in these cars

Thanks for all of your help!!
    Steve

SOM
    2002 Formula Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by newguy WS6
    I took your advise, however I could not get to the left bank thru the hood. I jacked the car up got under it and I do indeed have those numbers 12561168 on the block right below where the head meets the block. So it looks like I have a LS6... other than what you have mentioned above is there anything else to gain? extra power? Im assuming that this is just a different block similar to a A4 block on the old fox body mustangs. Not more power, Just a better built block...Does this make my car extremely rare? Just somedumb questions.. forgive me im new to this GM stuff.

Also I noticed that the transmission has Tremec all over it. Did they make the transmission for this car or is this maybe something that was added? Im assuming that it is factory, but I thought that Borg -Warner made the trannys in these cars

Thanks for all of your help!!
    Steve
    15 % of the 2001 cars recieved the LS6 block and 20-25% on the 2002's There was no offical power gain but better bay-to-bay breathing has to be equal to more power but not sure how much maybe 2-8 HP if that IMO. As far as making your car rare, I would guess it would to some extent as this block is more desiriable than the LS1 block for a build-up (power adders). IMO the rarity of a car that make most buyers sit up and take notice is more the model and # built.
    Yes our cars do come with the Tremec 6 speed, I belive since 1998 but not sure....

Red
    02 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

As from the power difference between the two. The car my buddy had, that had the LS6 in it, beat me atleast 2-3 cars from a 40 mph roll. His times at the drag strip wasnt all that great b/c of SEVERE traction problems. A guy told me that the LS6's have around 385hp...give or take a some.

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Yes i do believe that the LS6 is advertised at 385, but thats a complete LS6. Meaning it has different heads and a different cam and the ls6 intake manifold. But if it has the ls6 block, and ls1 components (ex. heads, cam), i dont think there would be that much more of a horsepower increase like my1973form said.

'01 M.R.M. TA A4:
    Bolt on's, suspension

'02 C.E.T.A. WS6 M6:
    Stock

Red
    02 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

My buddies and my heads/Intake manifold were the same and all. Not sure bout the cam though. But whatever the difference is, those cars will skoot.

sonnyred
    Read an artcle about two months ago, they claimed no increases at all. Just forgot where i read it.

Black
    2013 Coupe

Here's my time slip #'s:
    60': 1.99
    1/8: 8.40
    MPH: 85.71
    1/4: 12.95
    MPH: 108.63

It's an M6, has 79K miles, headers, 3" exhaust & an LS1 edit tune.

Black/Gold....Now Sold...
    10th Anny. Firehawk #001

I ran 13.72 at 105 something on street tires with a slipping clutch AND no traction when the clutch did catch...

LS6 Block is actually weaker than the LS1 because of the pieces of the block missing around the water jackets for increased ventilation. Not majorly or anything, and the car's with the LS6 block still have all LS1 internals. Meaning no extra gain in HP. Not one engine or two drivers are alike. Some pull more or less than the average HP and that explains the difference how you got beat by the guy with the LS6 block.

Decreening the MAF is a very bad Idea. It is there to create less turbulant air so your sensors can take measurements correctly to adjust your A/F Ratio. Our Maf's are very capiable of supporting up to 450RWHP before they become a bottleneck in the system. Descreen it and get random results and losses of power. People who descreen it and claim to feel power have the same mindset of those real people in the tubornator commercials, it seems right so I sense a gain but it doesn't really work.

Borg-Warner Stopped making transmissions after 98. I know this because I lived in Muncie and saw this happen and saw people loose their jobs. Some 99 Cars still have the borg-warner tranny, but after they got bought out quality was claimed to go down. Some people who used to work there run a shop now that rebuilts the t-56s and they see more trannys after borg-warner come in than before even though borg has made them for more years.

Black
    2013 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason
    Decreening the MAF is a very bad Idea. It is there to create less turbulant air so your sensors can take measurements correctly to adjust your A/F Ratio. Our Maf's are very capiable of supporting up to 450RWHP before they become a bottleneck in the system. Descreen it and get random results and losses of power.
    It's only a bad idea IF you do not get an LS1 edit tune after the decreening, or if you use descreened MAF ends.

ask any reputable dyno shop, they replace more descreened MAF's during a dyno tune than anything else. The variables they are throwing out are to inconsistant from run to run during tuning. our sponcers EPP and Speed Inc will tell you the same. They won't even recommend the 85mm GM or SLP version because of the resistor interfearing with the tune. The way to upgrade is get the Z06 maf, a harness, and program in it's tables.

Black
    2013 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason
    ask any reputable dyno shop, they replace more descreened MAF's during a dyno tune than anything else.
    That's because the people who descreen the MAF's are inept.

I put anodized MAF ends that have no screen on my TA & if it were that big of a deal not to have a screen our LS1 edit tuner/mechanic, a very trusted & respected tuner up here in New England BTW, would have told me to put the stock MAF ends back on before he'd tune the car.

White
    1999 WS6

12.7@113

Maple Red Metallic
    2000 Poctiac Trans Am-A4

14.2 at about 2500 elevation spinning to the 60 foot......I think it will go high 13's with some sticky. 2000 t/a a4 Volant cai and ported throttle body.......2.73 gears

Thread Information