Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

Angry Door wiring and door repair????

Please move if this is in the wrong section, but figured it was OK here.

Here's my issue. The door skin on my T/A is broke loose from the top corner where it should be glued to the door shell (hope that makes sense). So when I open the door, if the door hits the stop at all, you can see the outer skin separate from the shell itself. I would like to fix this before any damage occurs. My thought was to pull the door off the car and put it up on a stand. Then I can separate the door skin from shell enough to get some 2-part epoxy in there and lightly clamp it back together. Also, if I can get at the area from the inside, I will reinforce there as well. If anyone has a better way, please let me know.

So the second question is the wiring inside the door. Some cars have a junction block located just inside the kick panel of the car and it can be unhooked there and pushed through. Not sure about the T/A, I have not had the door opened up yet to look at the wiring. Does anyone know if I have to pull the wiring out through the door itself before I can pull the door off???

As always, thanks in advance.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Quote Originally Posted by Piranhaz View Post
    Please move if this is in the wrong section, but figured it was OK here.

Here's my issue. The door skin on my T/A is broke loose from the top corner where it should be glued to the door shell (hope that makes sense). So when I open the door, if the door hits the stop at all, you can see the outer skin separate from the shell itself. I would like to fix this before any damage occurs. My thought was to pull the door off the car and put it up on a stand. Then I can separate the door skin from shell enough to get some 2-part epoxy in there and lightly clamp it back together. Also, if I can get at the area from the inside, I will reinforce there as well. If anyone has a better way, please let me know.

So the second question is the wiring inside the door. Some cars have a junction block located just inside the kick panel of the car and it can be unhooked there and pushed through. Not sure about the T/A, I have not had the door opened up yet to look at the wiring. Does anyone know if I have to pull the wiring out through the door itself before I can pull the door off???

As always, thanks in advance.
    must be a white TA thing. mine's coming home from the body shop tomorrow for that same problem. mine was from the previous owner repairing the fiberglass with the incorrect epoxy which later led to the door ripping the skin all the way down and tearing up my fender. i got my door completely rebuilt and both that & my fender repainted. i would suggest either buying a new door or doing some body work with heavy duty epoxy to fix it ASAP. mine started warping and changing colors (yes, the white went from white to an odd brown color where the bondo was) then ripped and rotted the insides within a matter of days. it's not a cheap fix either if you let it go forever

good luck d00d

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by tep98ws6 View Post
    must be a white TA thing. mine's coming home from the body shop tomorrow for that same problem. mine was from the previous owner repairing the fiberglass with the incorrect epoxy which later led to the door ripping the skin all the way down and tearing up my fender. i got my door completely rebuilt and both that & my fender repainted. i would suggest either buying a new door or doing some body work with heavy duty epoxy to fix it ASAP. mine started warping and changing colors (yes, the white went from white to an odd brown color where the bondo was) then ripped and rotted the insides within a matter of days. it's not a cheap fix either if you let it go forever

good luck d00d
    As far as I can tell, there has never been any body work on the fender and door, you can usually tell with tape lines etc. The problem with these doors are they are long, so when they swing open they have momentum. When they hit the stop when they are all the way open, something has to give, and that upper corner takes the majority of the pressure. My theory is the wind caught it at one time or somebody just flung it open not caring and it broke the bond at the top. the rest of the door is fine, I tried pulling it away elsewhere and it won't budge. So I am gonna fix the door, but does anyone know about the wiring??? Just curious if I need to pull the door panel, unhook all the wiring, and fish it out the end of the door, or is there a plug, either inside the door or inside the kick panel brace of the car, that has a quick disconnect???

Thread Information