door rattles over bumps

This is a discussion on door rattles over bumps within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; When driving over man hole covers or just real rough roads my door sounds like its not closed all the ...

door rattles over bumps

When driving over man hole covers or just real rough roads my door sounds like its not closed all the way. It seems tight when closed no real play in it. Is this a common issue? How do I fix it?

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'15 Hemi Truck

do you have any door sag when you open the door and let it sit there open?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Is it the door or the window? How to check, roll window 3/4 way down and lightly wiggle the window. Does it make same sound?

Next close the window repeat. Any noise?

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Is it the door or the window? How to check, roll window 3/4 way down and lightly wiggle the window. Does it make same sound?

Next close the window repeat. Any noise?
    I bet its the window...mine does the same thing.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    I bet its the window...mine does the same thing.
    The window is a Lil loose. When i hit a man home cover it sounds like the door is falling apart. I havent checked for sag but will today. Do youhave to replace all the window seals to get it tight again. Just normal roads or bumps no glass vibration or noise.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by jefff82 View Post
    The window is a Lil loose. When i hit a man home cover it sounds like the door is falling apart. I havent checked for sag but will today. Do youhave to replace all the window seals to get it tight again. Just normal roads or bumps no glass vibration or noise.
    only a couple of things you can do if its the window glass that is making the noise...the first step would be to tighten up and adjust the felt pads that are inside the door frame at the very top. They help hold the window in place...those have a habit of either breaking or loosening up over time. If you find any broken ones, i'd recommend replacing them because they can and do scratch your window/tint over time.

Also make sure that the regulator is tightened down and not chewing away at the fiberglass...if the regulator or window motor was ever replaced and it was not done correctly you might see something like this...this was mine before and after.

Bolts were installed instead of rivets or washers so it tore away at the fiberglass which made everything loose...I could move the entire window without very much pressure, plus it didnt line up the way it should have when it went up and down so it did not seal correctly.

After adjusting everything and installing washers...
    Last edited by theorangeguy; 05-15-2014 at 11:20 AM.

only a couple of things you can do if its the window glass that is making the noise...the first step would be to tighten up and adjust the felt pads that are inside the door frame at the very top. They help hold the window in place...those have a habit of either breaking or loosening up over time. If you find any broken ones, i'd recommend replacing them because they can and do scratch your window/tint over time.

Also make sure that the regulator is tightened down and not chewing away at the fiberglass...if the regulator or window motor was ever replaced and it was not done correctly you might see something like this...this was mine before and after.

Bolts were installed instead of rivets or washers so it tore away at the fiberglass which made everything loose...I could move the entire window without very much pressure, plus it didnt line up the way it should have when it went up and down so it did not seal correctly.
    Click for full size

After adjusting everything and installing washers...
    Click for full size
    any write ups on this? ive never messed with window tracks or the felts. I wouldn't want to make it worse

Black / White

any write ups on this? ive never messed with window tracks or the felts. I wouldn't want to make it worse
    Not sure what happened to my pictures...

Before:

After:

Not sure what happened to my pictures...

Before:
    Click for full size

After:
    Click for full size
    I see that. wondering about the felt or anything else that makes the window rattle. it didn't do it as bad. I just got new rear tires today. the old ones were original c5 rims and tires from 2000.

Black / White

I see that. wondering about the felt or anything else that makes the window rattle. it didn't do it as bad. I just got new rear tires today. the old ones were original c5 rims and tires from 2000.
    the rattle is more than likely from the felt pads...have you ever taken your door panel out before? its held in by like 4 or 5 screws, and lifts up and out "reverse to put back on". Once you get the panel off you will see all the felt pads at the very top of the door frame...they should look like this...I call them felt pads, I think the proper name is "window stabilizers" makes sense lol

Thread Information