Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

does it really make a big difference

This is a discussion on does it really make a big difference within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; i have never ever ever used anything but 93 premuim i was actually speaking about the different gas stations....

now greybat66

navy blue metalic
    1998 trans am conv

i have never ever ever used anything but 93 premuim i was actually speaking about the different gas stations.

White
    02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Cronex View Post
    In them instances I wouldn't run it hard, race it or anything. Just cruise. But then again people run them with 87 im sure...they just don't admit it. So its up to you. But if you use it daily the long term effects can suck.
    Have you seen detonation problems and such from runnin' 87 in these cars? I'm asking because you guys have more experience w/ the LS1 than I do. My owners manual says you can run 87, but at a performance loss. I've personally been switching between mid-grade and permium each tank.

thanks
    dale

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am #693

I myself haven't heard of any detonation problems. Mr. Lous said these cars have two different table sets depending on what you put in the car, so that would be the reason why and also why it says its fine in your manual. However, I still will never recommend anything other then 93 to put in MY car. Granted it is up to you guys as to what yous want to put in your cars, but keep in mind you can run the risk of knocking, pre-ignition, "RSI" - Runaway Surface Ignition, which is a more serious pre-ignition problem. Run-on, and misfires depending all on how well you maintain the car. (Of which, I would hope you guys care about these cars.) Im sure you don't have that much of a risk now and days as you would alittle whiles back, but still...I like my car. I try to take care of it and keep it healthy so down the road it wont have problems. This is just another step to prevent such things for me.

White
    02 WS6

Kewl, thanks!!

dale

Silver
    1998 Formula

Whenever I bought my 1998 Formula it didn't come with a manual, and no where on the car did it say to use premium, so I've been putting 87 in it for a year now. I didn't know the LS1 had a 10.1 compression ratio. I'll definitely start using 91, now.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

some gas like kroger and wawa are more watered down. if i get same octane at wawa, it is much more sluggish.

remember more power = more mpg, noticably. at least when it comes to gas.

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    As fiercely loyal as some brand patrons are the reality is that there are very few places where these trucks fill up. For any given area there may be only one depot where trucks pick up fuel to deliver to the stations. It is the additives which make a brand and those don't get introduced to the gas until it is in the truck and on its way to being delivered. federal requirements also dictate the ammount and type of additives in the fuel so brand differences are small at best. Unless your local cheapo is putting water in the gas your certainly safe bargain hunting. In fact there are inspectors that go around checking pumps and gas for both accuracy of the pump and for content of the gas. So again for the most part cheaper is better in this case.

Of course you gotta stick with the premium in your pride and joy. I'm used to it by now with the 4.6 DOHC.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by egod View Post
    sometimes if cash is tight i'll grab some 87, i know that its not great for performance but it won't cause any harm right? its not like it needs it for forced induction or anything. Just asking cause i'll spend the extra everytime if that's the case
    sometimes i used to run 87. but whenever i did i noticed some pinging... so i wouldnt recommend it. it wont damage anything. you just lose some power from it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information