Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Does anyone have pictures of a red unlowered Trans Am?

This is a discussion on Does anyone have pictures of a red unlowered Trans Am? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by SMWS6TA talk with Strano. They got some good prices and a lot of members swear by them. ...

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    talk with Strano. They got some good prices and a lot of members swear by them.
    Yeah thats about the only thing that seems likely to fix the problem. But got to wait til funds/new job happen. Might just un lower the car also.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

they have these things at autozone, no idea what they are called but they are basically metal wedges that you slide in between the spring coil and turn sideways with a ratchet to lock them in place, they raise the spring about 1/2 inch for each one you put in, buddy of mine with an old el camino used them on his front end to put more weight in the rear...

edit: these, 'coil spring boosters'

Last edited by justinmc978; 05-12-2011 at 01:33 PM.

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I wouldn't do this and I can't see how it would really work. It's just something I've read that could be done to help.

But, you put the car on jack stands, lower the axle down to take all of the load off the springs. Next insert a tennis ball in between the coils. Slide the ball as far up the spring as it can go. It is suppose to act like a wedge prevent the spring from compressing as much, kinda like a block.

The more I think about it the more screwy it sounds.

then again ppl use an air bladder in the passenger rear spring to level out during launching at the track.
    A tennis ball? People up here do some interesting stuff but I've never heard of that one. Besides they split pretty easy so then it's just a worthless attempt to scab something together.

Air bladders are completely different and you can't even compair the two. The bladder goes inside the spring and there is noway for it to accidently come out. So it is safer.

OP Just buy the new Strano springs and be done with it. You would be happier in the long run and not have to keep replacing split tennis balls.
    2001 WS6 TA Red. Stock, 6 spd, LS7 clutch, Catback, Harris Nitrous Kit, Custom Painted Flames, Wolfe 6 point rollbar.
    1998 TA Black. 408, t350, nitro daves plate w/dedicated fuel cell, mini tubbed, 30" dr's. 9.75 @136mph on a small shot. Fastest LSX in Alaska, Pump gas, never trailered street car.
    2007 TBSS. Silver, Factory Stock

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    they have these things at autozone, no idea what they are called but they are basically metal wedges that you slide in between the spring coil and turn sideways with a ratchet to lock them in place, they raise the spring about 1/2 inch for each one you put in, buddy of mine with an old el camino used them on his front end to put more weight in the rear...

edit: these, 'coil spring boosters'

Click for full size
    I think these might do the trick! I called autozone and they are in my budget. Thanks for reminding me that these are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen WS6 View Post
    A tennis ball? People up here do some interesting stuff but I've never heard of that one. Besides they split pretty easy so then it's just a worthless attempt to scab something together.

Air bladders are completely different and you can't even compair the two. The bladder goes inside the spring and there is noway for it to accidently come out. So it is safer.

OP Just buy the new Strano springs and be done with it. You would be happier in the long run and not have to keep replacing split tennis balls.
    I am just a lowly secretary, Strano springs are not in the budget at this time, which I originally posted. I said something inexpensive. Also, the tennis ball thing was not my ideal, just a suggestion, I do believe that is something that I will not try.

But thank you for the imput.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

I'm happy I could help

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    I'm happy I could help

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

even if the bump stops look good they could still be bad... mine looked good till i took one off... it was dry rotted in the middle and completely useless...

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    even if the bump stops look good they could still be bad... mine looked good till i took one off... it was dry rotted in the middle and completely useless...
    I'll take one off and check it out. But they really look like they are brand new.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information